• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted September 17, 2016 - 06:58 PM

Found this picture and don't know any details about it.

Attached Thumbnails

• 14264893_1013550195410753_5102234526311490330_n.jpg

• Gtractor, grnspot110, Alc and 6 others have said thanks

#2 CRFarnsworth ONLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,642 Thanks
  • 1,734 posts

Posted September 17, 2016 - 07:16 PM

OH     $#!%  !!!!

• Username said thank you

#3 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,484 Thanks
  • 3,377 posts

Posted September 17, 2016 - 07:25 PM

Inertia exceeded friction!
  • Username, Cat385B and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,619 Thanks
  • 3,914 posts

Posted September 17, 2016 - 07:25 PM

He's having a bad day

#5 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted September 17, 2016 - 07:29 PM

Or under secured load.  See lots of them to.  One strap is good for a 5 ton tractor kinda loads.

• Username and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 975 posts

Posted September 17, 2016 - 08:48 PM

Sure makes chains and binders look cheap!! And if it's a tlr queen some pieces of carpet will prevent chain scratches.

Mike

Edited by ol' stonebreaker, September 17, 2016 - 10:05 PM.

• MH81, Alc, Username and 1 other said thanks

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted September 17, 2016 - 09:12 PM

Shame they didn't take a few extra minutes and a the precautions to keep this from happening. Hope no one was hurt beyond the truck and the pacemaker or model 25
  • Username and boyscout862 have said thanks

#8 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,392 Thanks
  • 1,528 posts

Posted September 17, 2016 - 10:35 PM

Shame they didn't take a few extra minutes and a the precautions to keep this from happening. Hope no one was hurt beyond the truck and the pacemaker or model 25

Agreed, probably got one heck of a fine though from DOT, should of had at least 3 chains/straps in that, Federal for a 10000lb load is min 4 straps, one on each corner.  Sadly I see this all the time at auctions, best was a corn crib in the bed of an F250, probably well over 13'6".

• MH81, Username and boyscout862 have said thanks

#9 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,625 Thanks
  • 3,867 posts

Posted September 18, 2016 - 12:47 AM

I am amazed at how some of this stuff is tied down.  It is getting bad up here as shovels and other things are falling of p/u trucks and hurting people.  Things definitely need to be secure so they do not fall off your vehicle.

Back in the late 70s thru the early 90s we pulled tractor and hauled a lot of them to shows.  We used a 1 ton truck and a 28' fifth wheel with a 20,000 GVW.  The trailer had 2 10,000 LBS axles with 3" brakes.  I ran this because with the proper maintenance (Electric Brakes) it would stop on a dime with a 10,000 LBS load.  We use 5/16" transport chain to tight our stuff down but I did see a lot of guys using 1/4" and 5/16" chain and really cheap ratchet straps to tie down 6000 LBS tractors.

Some where in the mid 80s Wisconsin decided we needed a Fed. DOT # to haul our stuff to local pulls and shows. OK!  Got one it was Free and put it on the side of my P/U truck as required.  I never had a problem with the Diesel Bears (State Patrol) so all is great.

Then the poo hit the fan.  I bought a new 40 foot 5th wheel trailer and needed a vacation so I went down to Texas to pick it up and bring it home.  Got pulled over in Illinois and was told my DOT# was only good for "Intrastate" NOT "Interstate".  I guess I was a bit to far from home. Now what?  NO log book, NO med card, NO CDL.  I had to have a driver come down and drive my truck home.  What a vacation that turned out to be.

I got a ton of paper work Illinois wanted filled out and sent back.  Just got home and my truck was stolen with all that paperwork in the console.  Emailed Ill. dot several times and no response.  I dropped it.  Now a year late Wisconsin DOT contacted me as to what I was doing in Illinois.  OH POO!  Explained it to them, and that I am retired and do not need or what a DOT #.  They actually sent an inspector out to look at what I was hauling and the truck and trailer.  

I was able to get my DOT # canceled and was told that I do not need a DOT # to haul tractors to shows or pulls on an occasional basis as long as you do not declare expenses on your taxes.  :rocker2:

• olcowhand, Gtractor, MH81 and 6 others have said thanks

#10 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,451 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted September 18, 2016 - 06:15 AM

Our guys at work years ago used to use just 2 chains for the backhoes then found out they were supposed to use 4 one one each corner and now one on each movable arm too , front loader bucket and around the hoe bucket for a total of 6 . Not sure if that's fed law or NJ law
  • Bruce Dorsi and Username have said thanks

#11 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,455 Thanks
  • 1,605 posts

Posted September 18, 2016 - 07:58 AM

It makes you think about anything that's unsecured and behind you in a vehicle. I know someone who had a hardened bag of cement come through the back window of a pickup during an accident. Good thing nobody was sitting in the middle. A snow blower attachment, floor jack, mower deck, etc., could leave with your head rolling down the pavement.
  • ducky, Alc and Username have said thanks

#12 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,748 Thanks
  • 7,698 posts

Posted September 18, 2016 - 11:56 AM

I get laughed at for how I tie things down, but I have never lost a load. I had a load of garage doors that I got from an installer. Nearly 5500 pounds of doors. Secured with 6 straps. The door guy said I didn't need more than 2. I got run off the road and up an embankment on the way home. Doors never moved. Trailer was up on 2 wheels atone point, but the doors were rock solid. (Tech tip - I used two extra straps - total of 8 - laid over the trailer  from side to side before loading, then wrapped around the doors before they were strapped down - think burrito. At the scrap yard I connected the two straps with a chain and they lifted the chain with the grappler. Once the doors were on the ground the straps were unhooked and the grappler pulled the straps out. Turned an hour long job into a 30 second job) 

Any full sized tractors get a minimum of 5 straps. One on each corner and one over the hood, can't have them blowing open. 

Cars on the trailer get 2 straps if they have no wheels - one over the hood one over the trunk. With wheels they get 4.

I had a guy come to my house to get a van and he brought no straps at all. Loaded it up on a trailer and got ready to leave. I told him he was an idiot and he said it would stay. I told him to strap or I would block the driveway and he wasn't leaving. He pulled out 2 one inch straps. I sold him 2 of my oldest big straps. 

Several years back a guy I knew borrowed his dads riding mower. He put it on a trailer with no straps. Lost the tractor at 60 MPH on a 2 lane road and it hit a car in the oncoming lane. Totaled the car. Tractor was unrecognizable as anything. Idiot was driving a company truck without permission. Lost his job. Company discovered he was selling company tools. Went to jail. Company got sued out the wazoo by the woman in the car. 

• olcowhand, Gtractor, MH81 and 3 others have said thanks

#13 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 18, 2016 - 04:40 PM

I strap every load with enough straps to make it one with the trailer, and then throw one more over it for good measure. Have yet to lose any of my loads. I have lost several ratchet straps though, banjo tight over things takes a toll on them. I always inspect straps before, during, and after use; decomissioning them as needed.
  • Gtractor, Alc and Username have said thanks

#14 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted September 18, 2016 - 07:38 PM

I use at least four straps, cross strapping each one--right front side of car/truck/tractor to left front side of trailer. I do this at all four corners. If the hoods don't latch well, they get tied or strapped down, too. A few miles down the road, I stop and check everything. If it's a long trip, I check every time I stop. I also feel my trailer hubs at stops to see if one is getting hotter than the rest.
  • Username, sacsr and Bmerf have said thanks

#15 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,392 Thanks
  • 1,528 posts

Posted September 18, 2016 - 08:30 PM

I use at least four straps, cross strapping each one--right front side of car/truck/tractor to left front side of trailer. I do this at all four corners. If the hoods don't latch well, they get tied or strapped down, too. A few miles down the road, I stop and check everything. If it's a long trip, I check every time I stop. I also feel my trailer hubs at stops to see if one is getting hotter than the rest.

That is another important point, a person was killed a couple years ago on the NYS Thruway when a tire/hub came off of a boat trailer and came through their windshield, my trailer hubs have grease fittings, on long trips I'll give it a few shots of grease 2 or 3 times during the trip.