• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 DZG OFFLINE  

DZG
  • Member No: 84305
  • 281 Thanks
  • 266 posts

Posted September 16, 2016 - 08:17 AM

Had an older guy come look at the GT 2050 this morning.

Gets here, decides he wants it, i mess around, pull it outta the shed, had to pull the door off the shed, move my camper, my truck, etc.

He didnt bring a trailer, i told him on the phone it will not go thru a set of wheelwells.

So i spend an hour movin stuff around to appease him to get it loaded, after i already came down 50 bucks on price.

He got pissed off after a bit (literally as i was gonna try to get it in his truck) and said he didnt have anymore time to piss with it. Itd only been 45 min or so and i didnt move everything cause i didnt figure hed take it, or even show for that matter.

So i offered to load it on my trailer, (free of charge) and drive it an hour north to his place one day this week, he refused becausei wanted payment up front.

So now ive screwed around all morning, and still have the 2050.

Edited by DZG, September 16, 2016 - 08:18 AM.

• Bolens 1000, Gtractor, WNYTractorTinkerer and 3 others have said thanks

#2 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,728 Thanks
  • 2,245 posts

Posted September 16, 2016 - 08:34 AM

I'm just wondering, was the GT ready for P/U when he came by or was it sitting in the shed? Because if it was sitting in the shed, you would have to move it anyway when you sell it, so I don't see the issue there. I personally make sure all my machines are ready to sell, load, move before the potential buyer gets here to see me.

I'd be pissed too if I had to wait 45 minutes. BUT it's on him for not being ready saying he wants it without coming with a trailer. I see his point about not giving you money, since he had to wait, how does he know you'll show up, but how do you know he'll pay after being like this, so I see both sides.

Take it as a learning lessons never to judge a book by it's cover when it comes to people, have machines ready either way when for sale, and everyone should win. Just my .02. 

• Bolens 1000, wilberj, KennyP and 7 others have said thanks

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted September 16, 2016 - 08:39 AM

Sounds like he got cold feet at the end. He may have been upset about the wait, but people need to have a little more understanding sometimes...
If he had waited that long, what's a few more minutes? Especially when he didn't come with a trailer, as directed.
  • KennyP, boyscout862, WNYTractorTinkerer and 2 others have said thanks

#4 DZG OFFLINE  

DZG
  • 281 Thanks
  • 266 posts

Posted September 16, 2016 - 08:40 AM

I'm just wondering, was the GT ready for P/U when he came by or was it sitting in the shed? Because if it was sitting in the shed, you would have to move it anyway when you sell it, so I don't see the issue there. I personally make sure all my machines are ready to sell, load, move before the potential buyer gets here to see me.

I'd be pissed too if I had to wait 45 minutes. BUT it's on him for not being ready saying he wants it without coming with a trailer. I see his point about not giving you money, since he had to wait, how does he know you'll show up, but how do you know he'll pay after being like this, so I see both sides.

Take it as a learning lessons never to judge a book by it's cover when it comes to people, have machines ready either way when for sale, and everyone should win. Just my .02.

It was still in the shed, but that only took 10 minutes to yank it out of there.

If he would have brought a trailer i coulda drug the thing out, pushed it on the trailer, and bam done. Moving everythig else was a direct result of him wanting it in his pickup, he had little short ramps and there was no way it was going up those untill he was backed up to a hill.
  • MH81 and chieffan have said thanks

#5 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,848 Thanks
  • 3,191 posts

Posted September 16, 2016 - 09:16 AM

Sounds like another one of those lessons in life...... coulda been so easy and another GT friend made, but wasn't. Frustrating and a lot of extra work for you, but, hey, you won't have to do it all again and you've got some stuff sorted that you hadn't planned on. You said "older guy". Maybe he has a rough row to hoe in his life at the moment, maybe he's just a grumpy old fart looking for a chain to jerk and feels entitled through age to do so. That's just people for you. Venting is good, we all understand your frustration, I'm sure a reasonable buyer will show, have a trailer, and appreciate your 2050.
  • MH81, KennyP, TomLGT195 and 2 others have said thanks

#6 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted September 16, 2016 - 09:20 AM

When I sell a tractor it is ready to go but inside.  Last one the guy drove and mowed with it, we agreed on price.  His wife handed me the cash and HE drove it up to his trailer and loaded it.  I don't load cause if it falls off don't want any part of it.  Most people bring those dinky little 1" straps from Wally World to hold a 600 lb tractor on a trailer or in a pickup.  DUMB.

• Bolens 1000, Gtractor, oldedeeres and 2 others have said thanks

#7 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 304 Thanks
  • 236 posts

Posted September 16, 2016 - 10:28 AM

You have to read older people (like me) for what they want, some like me make a social event out of this stuff, and some think their wasting their time (and they are by being grumpy),it an't that older people get grumpy on purpose(not all of us) but a fact that time is running out, we spend our time when young making money, we spend or money when old making time
  • MH81, oldedeeres and Sawdust have said thanks

#8 DZG OFFLINE  

DZG
  • 281 Thanks
  • 266 posts

Posted September 16, 2016 - 11:12 AM

You have to read older people (like me) for what they want, some like me make a social event out of this stuff, and some think their wasting their time (and they are by being grumpy),it an't that older people get grumpy on purpose(not all of us) but a fact that time is running out, we spend our time when young making money, we spend or money when old making time

I always apperciate older people, talking, learning, etc.

Put it this way if it woulda been a younger guy who talked and acted the way he did i wouldnt of been so nice.

Oh well, guess crap happens.
  • MH81 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#9 adamjd200 ONLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,392 Thanks
  • 1,527 posts

Posted September 16, 2016 - 11:48 AM

When I sell a tractor it is ready to go but inside.  Last one the guy drove and mowed with it, we agreed on price.  His wife handed me the cash and HE drove it up to his trailer and loaded it.  I don't load cause if it falls off don't want any part of it.  Most people bring those dinky little 1" straps from Wally World to hold a 600 lb tractor on a trailer or in a pickup.  DUMB.

I use 1" straps regularly, but NOT the cheap ones, I get mine at TSC, and have 2 different types rated for 500&1000lbs working load, I get a little annoyed when people start lumping all 1" straps in the same category.  Sounds like the buyer got cold feet. 

• shorty said thank you

#10 Xrperry ONLINE  

Xrperry
  • Member No: 73285
  • 264 Thanks
  • 306 posts

Posted September 16, 2016 - 12:12 PM

well at least he showed up. i sell things on craigslist and had many no shows.what i did is bring the stuff to the warehouse at work, when someone is interested i give an address, tell them i am there from 7 am 330 pm. i am there 9 hours anyway so no waiting on anyone.if they show they show, if not o well

• Sawdust said thank you

#11 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 304 Thanks
  • 236 posts

Posted September 16, 2016 - 12:13 PM

If some one is a grump they will try to pass it on to you (misery Love's company) you do not have to put up with any of it! I do not have time for bad attitudes myself, if you want to feel less abused nip it in the bud and tell the grump you've changed your mind
  • Bolens 1000, oldedeeres and Sawdust have said thanks

#12 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 987 Thanks
  • 669 posts

Posted September 16, 2016 - 12:47 PM

I have found that this new age of Internet listing has brought both more people to the party which is a good thing, and it has brought more people to the party which really gives access to some interesting characters! CL has made me develop a new respect for my patience, and a new outlook on humor. If people give me a hard time I dream up a funny reason and keep that in my thoughts while dealing with these awesome individuals. The last fellow I dealt with was a real pain so I just told myself that it was because the woman's thong he was wearing was giving him a real go of it, everything he said after that was hilarious, I had trouble keeping the smile off my face. Better luck next time.
  • Bolens 1000, oldedeeres, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#13 Xrperry ONLINE  

Xrperry
  • Member No: 73285
  • 264 Thanks
  • 306 posts

Posted September 16, 2016 - 01:21 PM

yea i had a few people show up with an attitude,i just told them to hit the road, i didnt have time for their bs

• Bolens 1000, Gtractor and Sawdust have said thanks

#14 JBRamsey ONLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 972 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted September 16, 2016 - 02:52 PM

It sounds like both of you got aggravated. Somebody has to take the high road when that happens.

Why didn't you offer half now with a bill of sale and half on delivery?

Most of the time I don't let people from CL come to my house. If I do have them come to my house, what I am selling is in the driveway and my garage door is closed. I know most are good but it only takes that one bad egg that is just wanting to case your house to really make things difficult. It wasn't CL related but I've spent a lot of time and headaches in the past three weeks due to one or more thieves that wanted in my truck, took my check book and went on a twenty thousand dollar check writing spree. I can only imagine what it would be like If someone broke into my home.

I understand being aggravated, but to get that angry and let him occupy space in your head is your decision.
  • oldedeeres, Sawdust, propane1 and 1 other said thanks

#15 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted September 16, 2016 - 02:52 PM

If a person starts getting grumpy about an item for sale, a good comeback is " I don't think this is what  your looking for" then start walking away. 

• Gtractor, oldedeeres and jimmy G have said thanks