31 replies to this topic

#16 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,534 Thanks
  • 3,923 posts

Posted September 15, 2016 - 04:58 PM

Finger injuries can be so painful. I nailed a glove to my finger one day. Definitely not my smartest move.

#17 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted September 15, 2016 - 05:50 PM

I broke a drill bit and shoved it through my thumb. NOT very pleasant!

Yup me too, wasn't a great deal of fun
  • crittersf1 said thank you

#18 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 833 Thanks
  • 477 posts

Posted September 15, 2016 - 06:28 PM

Pocket knives and zip ties are not a good mix. Get a pair of cutters.

At the shop I use diagonal cutters.  I gave a brief look at Home Depot for a home set but didn't see any and I only had one to cut so.......

It's Home Depot's fault!

#19 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • 833 Thanks
  • 477 posts

Posted September 15, 2016 - 06:33 PM

This evening my wife is out.  She told me there is chicken on the grill for my dinner and it'll be done at 6:30.

At 6:30 I open the grill and there is a large pyrex baking dish with 3 breast halves filled with bubbling tomato sauce.  I wonder how she thought I'd get that into the house with one hand.......

#20 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 972 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted September 15, 2016 - 07:55 PM

This evening my wife is out.  She told me there is chicken on the grill for my dinner and it'll be done at 6:30.

At 6:30 I open the grill and there is a large pyrex baking dish with 3 breast halves filled with bubbling tomato sauce.  I wonder how she thought I'd get that into the house with one hand.......

Now, that's funny.

#21 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,619 Thanks
  • 7,662 posts

Posted September 15, 2016 - 08:08 PM

As long as we're sharing stories about finger penetration . . .

When I was a little boy and my brother was three years younger, he was fooling around Mom's treadle sewing machine. When he stepped on the treadle, the needle went down through his finger. He had to wait for Mom to back the needle back out to get him loose.

#22 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 972 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted September 15, 2016 - 08:16 PM

Don't get me wrong I've had my share of screwups. More than I would like to admit.

Got really lucky with a router table and the 'last board'. I wouldn't even look at my finger for several minutes. The blood running down my arm and dripping off my elbow told me all I needed to know. When I did look, the end was hamburger. That one smarted and made me say bad words. Afterward it only hurt when my heart beated or I moved my hand.

Got even luckier with a running truck engine and a fan. Wrapped my fingers around the shroud with it running and the fan blades caught the tips of three of my fingers. Fortunately it pushed them up and out of the way instead of pulling them in. It didn't cut them, but I had no feeling up to the first knuckle for about six months. Then when I got feeling it wasn't pleasant for a few more months.

Then there was the broad head incident. It too was just "one broad head".

And a field dressing incident on the biggest deer I had ever shot. Reached inside to cut the windpipe and laid several fingers open. I learned that cut off shirt tails make good bandages.

There was a cutting torch incident because I was only making a couple of cuts, it was hot and didn't want to go in and put jeans and boots on. I now hold the world's record for fastest tennis shoe removal ever.

After enough scars, you learn to slow down. And recognize that taking a few minutes to get the right tool or put on the right gear is a lot easier than healing afterwards and definitely cheaper than an ER co-pay. I drill that into my boys at every opportunity--remind them that they can get more done by slowing down and not taking shortcuts.
  • MH81 and LilysDad have said thanks

#23 Enginerod OFFLINE  

Enginerod

• Member No: 1748
  • 205 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted September 15, 2016 - 08:20 PM

If I'm cutting zip ties with a folding knife, I just close the knife around the tie and squeeze it shut, cuts them right off and no chance to slip!

• MH81, WHdbJD, LilysDad and 1 other said thanks

#24 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,438 Thanks
  • 949 posts

Posted September 15, 2016 - 08:59 PM

The week is not over,,, tripped over my cherry picker while walking backwards. Broke finger breaking fall. Landed on back across leg extensions on cherry picker. Doc pulled finger out straight and taped it to other finger( a buddy splint)

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg

• MH81 said thank you

#25 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted September 15, 2016 - 09:03 PM

As long as we're sharing stories about finger penetration . . .

When I was a little boy and my brother was three years younger, he was fooling around Mom's treadle sewing machine. When he stepped on the treadle, the needle went down through his finger. He had to wait for Mom to back the needle back out to get him loose.

I bet the whole time, he was in stitches...
  • TomLGT195 said thank you

#26 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted September 15, 2016 - 09:04 PM

The week is not over,,, tripped over my cherry picker while walking backwards. Broke finger breaking fall. Landed on back across leg extensions on cherry picker. Doc pulled finger out straight and taped it to other finger( a buddy splint)

Ow ow ow ow.

#27 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted September 15, 2016 - 09:20 PM

Cable tie got me too about 20 years ago. In hurry and had to unbunble the bundle of wires. Left hand was holding the bundle and I was in too much of a hurry to get the dikes for the cable tie.  shoved the knife under the cable tie and twisted it to cut the tie. The tie gave and the point of the knife goes into the soft underside of my wrist. You know right where allthe nerves and blood vessels are. No arteries or tendons where cut, but I did nic the bundle of nerves.  

#28 oldcuz OFFLINE  

oldcuz
  • Member No: 84076
  • 65 Thanks
  • 105 posts

Posted September 15, 2016 - 10:03 PM

I feel your pain I also have spent a life time cursing and bleeding and as you get older and supposedly wiser from using the wrong tool and getting in a hurry the next thing you know their you are in a hurry with the wrong tool the only thing you got that will come close to working standing their cursing and bleeding, I guess its true no pain no gain ? 

#29 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • 833 Thanks
  • 477 posts

Posted September 16, 2016 - 09:19 AM

Stopped at Menards this morning and got another set of dikes.  Hopefully I'll remember to use them next time.

#30 DZG OFFLINE  

DZG
  • Member No: 84305
  • 281 Thanks
  • 266 posts

Posted September 20, 2016 - 01:22 PM

When i was 17 i was laying under my 83 F150 yanking the driveshaft to put u joints in.

I undid the 2 u bolts that held the u joint to the rear axle yoke, but the shaft didnt come down.

So i took a hammer and went to town.

Shaft came loose and fell. On my forehead. Other then a small cut and large gooseegg i was fine, im sure though it woulda killed 10 lesser men :p.

But watch placement of ALL body parts.
  • JBRamsey said thank you