• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 1965 Husky 1K OFFLINE  

1965 Husky 1K

• Member No: 3160
  • 0 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted May 25, 2011 - 07:45 AM

FINALLY landed a hyd. lift unit.:bounce: I should be getting it sometime this week. It will require a complete rebuild though.
Does anyone know DEFINATELY what color scheme Bolens used for the pump, bracket, cylinder, linkage assy. ect. ????? My goal is to restore to original OEM.:confuse:

#2 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted May 25, 2011 - 08:24 AM

FINALLY landed a hyd. lift unit.:bounce: I should be getting it sometime this week. It will require a complete rebuild though.
Does anyone know DEFINATELY what color scheme Bolens used for the pump, bracket, cylinder, linkage assy. ect. ????? My goal is to restore to original OEM.:confuse:

The correct colors for the # 18703 Hydraulic Lift kit to fit your 1000 (if it had been purchased back in the 1960's)were as follows:

The pump, brackets, & cylinder were painted the same color as the tractor ( Cordovan aka "brown" ). ......Of course, the cylinder rod was polished and un-painted. .....The clevis at the end of the cylinder rod may have been painted Cordovan or just cadmium plated. (I've seen both.)

The pump pulley I am not absolutely certain, but I believe they were diecast and unpainted.

The lift cylinder had a silver decal with black hash marks to indicate the lift position.

The skinny "pointer wire" may have been painted or un-painted. (Sorry, I can't say for certain!)

The control rod was unpainted, but I believe it was cadmium plated. ....The grip could be either white or black (I've seen both.) .....I believe the swivel block was cadmium plated.

The Bolens 1000 never came from the factory with a hydraulic lift kit installed, so a # 18703 Lift kit or a # 18709 Lift kit could have been installed at any time in its life. ......There were slight variations in the 18703 Lift kits, as they were produced for many years.

I don't remember ever seeeing a # 18709 Lift kit, so I can not speak to their colors. ......They were not available until later years, but they would retro-fit back to the 900's & 1000's.

I can understand your desire to get as close to original as possible, but who are the TRACTOR POLICE, and why are they judging your restoration ?????
  • Bolens 1000 and 1965 Husky 1K have said thanks

#3 1965 Husky 1K OFFLINE  

1965 Husky 1K

• Member No: 3160
  • 0 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted May 25, 2011 - 08:23 PM

Bruce, I thank you VERY much. I just purchased this tractor from Tube Frame Restorations in NH. A very nice job was done on this tractor. I only want to compliment the ''OLE GIRL" with a suitable addition to its arsenal of goodies. I will need to clean and restore the hyd. unit, so getting the proper colors isnt a big deal. Finding a non- black and white photo in that era with a hyd. lift isnt quite so easy. Many people have repainted them, but who knows if they matched the original color scheme.