• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#16 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted September 15, 2016 - 03:15 PM

Take your time. This is a hobby that makes chores fun. You may be limited on the number of downloads per day from the Manuals Section. You can also checkout www.simpletractors.com for the history and more info. When you have more questions, just ask. We are all in this together. Good Luck, Rick

• Alc said thank you

#17 tddeangelo OFFLINE  

tddeangelo
  • Member No: 84646
  • 6 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted September 15, 2016 - 04:45 PM

Here are a few quick pics.

Some taps with a wood block didn't move 'em.

Picking up some PB Blaster now (didn't have any on hand....). So I'll see how that goes, and be patient.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg

• Alc said thank you

#18 tddeangelo OFFLINE  

tddeangelo
  • 6 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted September 15, 2016 - 06:40 PM

If like my one that I worked on, they are on top of hydro? Big push plate on the tilt-up fender section that pushes on them and has spring to come back up?? The valves should pop -up when started, but many times don't because they rust some and get little use really. I wire brush the area they are in and the tops of the valves where you see the middle buttons sitting, but down in now. Spray with PB or any penetrant oil. Tap them very carefully with a plastic hammer or wood between metal hammer to work them. If don't pop up right away, leave after another spray and come back later. If they are starting to pop-up, but not all the way, starting the engine may make them come all way up. Don't be grabbing with pliers and mark the shaft/button up!  Have had them where you had to remove the valves, they unscrew pretty easy with big socket and clean them in mineral spirits or such and work them till they pop open again. Work them several times while out and should be popping up/down easy after cleaning. Replace them and test. Don't get dirt in the valve holes while removing and off.

They don't wanna budge.

How do you get the push bar off to get a socket on to unscrew them?

Not hex heads on the bolts holding on that bracket, and the bracket/push bar are too close to get a good wrench or socket on the big hex heads on the valve bodies to turn them out. Seems like it's gonna require that.

The "buttons" will let me press/plunger them through maybe 1/8" of travel but they won't come up.

Thanks for any advice.

May need to call someone in to do this to make sure I don't make a basic repair a complicated one....

#19 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,667 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted September 15, 2016 - 08:02 PM

One I had the push bar part stayed on the fenders I'm thinking????   If not, seems one end had a bolt and other had a bolt with slot in bracket and didn't have to come off??  Hard to recall for sure, I don't have tractor to look now.  Manuals on here, might check in them. Can open and just look or print just the page needed and such.  If moving, just spray them or very light oil or whatever, maybe even WD40 and work them up/down, and one time it might pop-up! Just keep working them that way.

#20 tddeangelo OFFLINE  

tddeangelo
  • 6 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted September 15, 2016 - 11:05 PM

This one has the bracket attached right to the hydro unit itself. They used star-head bolts and getting a pliers on seemed pointless.

I guess I'll keep at it with pb blaster and plunging them a little and see if they pop out.

#21 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,522 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted September 16, 2016 - 05:30 AM

You will probably have to take the fender pan off to get them out of there. Not sure if this manual will help, but on page 73 they show the Sundstrand unit. Page 83 shows the valves, Figure 16.

• tddeangelo said thank you

#22 tddeangelo OFFLINE  

tddeangelo
  • 6 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted September 16, 2016 - 07:26 AM

Pg 81, Figure 10 in that manual shows the bypass and that's EXACTLY how mine is setup. But if I gotta rip that apart, I'm not sure I should be tinkering in there at this point. 

I gave them a shot of pb blaster again this morning. I'll work on it a little more. Maybe I'll be lucky, lol. 

#23 SimplyRad OFFLINE  

SimplyRad
  • Member No: 84410
  • 194 Thanks
  • 195 posts

Posted September 16, 2016 - 11:46 AM

This one has the bracket attached right to the hydro unit itself. They used star-head bolts and getting a pliers on seemed pointless.

I guess I'll keep at it with pb blaster and plunging them a little and see if they pop out.

A 12 point 3/8 socket will fit these to remove them to remove the bracket to get to the valves. Just looked at the unit in my 7012.

• tddeangelo said thank you

#24 tddeangelo OFFLINE  

tddeangelo
  • 6 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted September 16, 2016 - 11:51 AM

I can't tell if those bolts hold anything else together...? That was my worry. Will anything else open up with those out?

Anything I can screw up here (obviously handle the valves carefully, clean and replace when they're out) in the process? Belts/oil, etc I'm fine. 

Transmissions ain't my thing. I'm an IT guy by day.  :loosing_it:

#25 SimplyRad OFFLINE  

SimplyRad
  • Member No: 84410
  • 194 Thanks
  • 195 posts

Posted September 16, 2016 - 11:53 AM

As long as oil doesn't leak out you should be ok.

#26 tddeangelo OFFLINE  

tddeangelo
  • 6 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted September 16, 2016 - 11:59 AM

Gotcha. 

Ok, I'll give 'er a whirl later on and see how it goes. 

#27 tddeangelo OFFLINE  

tddeangelo
  • 6 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted September 16, 2016 - 10:03 PM

Got the bracket off. Can't get a wrench on the valve bodies because they are too close to raised areas of the housing. A socket would never go on either. Almost looks like the trans has to come apart to get them out.....?

Either way, I'm gonna have to throw in the towel on this one. It's gone beyond me. I'll call a repair guy tomorrow and see how long I have to wait to get it in. Most good shops in the area have at least a bit of a wait.

And all this because I thought I was doing the safer thing by rolling it down the trailer ramps. Lol

#28 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted September 17, 2016 - 07:02 AM

If it was mine at this point I would jack the tractor and block it up , run the engine and operate the hydro forward and reverse just to see if some internal pressure and having the valves being warmed up from the oil flowing through them might help free them .
  • KennyP said thank you

#29 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,757 Thanks
  • 8,925 posts

Posted September 17, 2016 - 10:44 AM

Don't give up on it yet. Wipe the plungers clean, heat with a trouble light or a hair dryer, then re-apply the PB Blaster. I've had rusted/stuck parts that needed a week to 10 days to free up.

• Alc said thank you

#30 tddeangelo OFFLINE  

tddeangelo
  • 6 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted September 17, 2016 - 11:14 AM

Well, at this point I need to get it going. I bought it initially as a spare mower to use at a property I'm selling so I don't have to keep trailering my lawn tractor back and forth. I was initially looking for about the cheapest useable riding mower I could find so I could just leave it with the house when it sold, but I stumbled across this Simplicity and saw way too many uses for it to let it go. :)

The shop closest to me actually is not too back logged on work and assuming it doesn't need parts, said they can do it pretty quick.