• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 DZG OFFLINE  

DZG
  • Member No: 84305
  • 281 Thanks
  • 266 posts

Posted September 15, 2016 - 12:13 PM

After i sell a few of my other projects i want to get an old IH cub.

I want a wide frame, gear drive, with a creeper trans.

How rare is the creeper?
Were all of them shaft drive?
Would a hydro be better?

Ill be mowing with it, pulling wagons and such, and might even try my hand at stock mower pulls?

I had a 149 years ago but i never got it going (sold it).

Any input is apperciated.
  • Coventry Plumber said thank you

#2 Dane in PA OFFLINE  

Dane in PA

Dane in PA

• Contributor
  • Member No: 9535
  • 504 Thanks
  • 585 posts

Posted September 15, 2016 - 12:21 PM

Creeper, not so much rare as expensive.   You can find them from $200-400 depending on the person, and whether or not a clutch and drive-shaft is included.  Everything that is a true "wideframe" is shaft drive to the trans, less a few of the rarer model, such as the 800, 1000, 582-s, and a few other, if I'm recalling correctly.

If you don't do a lot of backing up, mowing with a gear drive is fine.  But if you're doing a lot of hauling and are looking at pulling for fun, then I would certainly be looking at gear drives --only.   Hydros will hold up to it occasionally, but their enemy is heat.  

I would recommend a 108 or 128.

• Sawdust and DZG have said thanks

#3 DZG OFFLINE  

DZG
  • 281 Thanks
  • 266 posts

Posted September 15, 2016 - 12:29 PM

Yeah, i seen the hydros have a higher top speed which would be nice running down to the city brush dump, but besides that id rather have a gear. Mainly cause they are less maintence and bulletproof.

Also which ones run the automotive style clutch?

Most the mowing i would do would be large open field type mowing, i got my zero turn for intricate stuff :)

#4 Dane in PA OFFLINE  

Dane in PA

Dane in PA

• Contributor
  • 504 Thanks
  • 585 posts

Posted September 15, 2016 - 12:43 PM

Yeah, i seen the hydros have a higher top speed which would be nice running down to the city brush dump, but besides that id rather have a gear. Mainly cause they are less maintence and bulletproof.

Also which ones run the automotive style clutch?

Most the mowing i would do would be large open field type mowing, i got my zero turn for intricate stuff :)

Not sure what you mean by "automotive style clutch" but all of the drive-shaft, gear-drive models use a clutch and pressure plate system.

#5 DZG OFFLINE  

DZG
  • 281 Thanks
  • 266 posts

Posted September 15, 2016 - 01:04 PM

Not sure what you mean by "automotive style clutch" but all of the drive-shaft, gear-drive models use a clutch and pressure plate system.

I suppose automotive style was a bad way to put it. I should have said employ a clutch disc.
  • Dane in PA said thank you

#6 Dane in PA OFFLINE  

Dane in PA

Dane in PA

• Contributor
  • 504 Thanks
  • 585 posts

Posted September 15, 2016 - 01:27 PM

I suppose automotive style was a bad way to put it. I should have said employ a clutch disc.

They all do --including the ones that use the peerless trans.  Less the Hydros, of course.

#7 DZG OFFLINE  

DZG
  • 281 Thanks
  • 266 posts

Posted September 15, 2016 - 02:40 PM

I thought they all ran the 3 speed box that was used in the farmall cubs?

How can i tell the difference? And is the peerless weaker and/or less desirable?

#8 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,358 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted September 15, 2016 - 03:54 PM

The only Peerless tranny models were the 1100 and the 582S during IH's production.  During MTD's production run there was the 482, 580, 582S, 1204, and 1604.  The rest of the gear drives were based on the Farmall Cub transmission using a cast iron housing during IH production and an Aluminum housing with steel bearing inserts during MTD's production.  All of the hydrostatic tractors made by IH and most of the hydrostatic tractors made by MTD had the Sundstrand 15-U hydrostat hooked up to the differential from a Farmall Cub.  Those hydro units are near bulletproof when cared for properly.

All of the IH tractors are shaft drive whether they are gear drive or hydrostatic.  The exceptions to this are the peerless units which use a belt and the Original which uses a belt.  Yes the Peerless unit is less desirable from a durability standpoint.  

Why if I may ask do you want a creeper?  Unless you are using a gear drive with a snow blower or a rear tiller there is no need for one and it is just an extra maintenance item to contend with.  They can be added later on with not much fuss.  Also you say you want to pull wagons.  What kind?  Farm wagons or just lawn carts?  I would NOT be afraid to pull a big lawn cart or even a small trailer around a yard with a hydro.  They will do anything that the gear drives will do and they have the advantage of the braking action of the hydrostat as well.

• Sawdust said thank you

#9 DZG OFFLINE  

DZG
  • 281 Thanks
  • 266 posts

Posted September 15, 2016 - 05:17 PM

95% of the time it will only be pulling my little lawn trailer with brush on it, or mowing, i might get a plow so i can smooth my driveway or whatever.

I however, would like to take it to lawn tractor pulla a time or 2 a year, this is why i was worried about the hydrostat.

As far as the creeper its not a must need, but more of a "check this out" type thing, im not dead set on one.

The more i look though, the more i really like the later red ones.

Im assuming those are basically the same as the yellow/white ones?

Sorry for the newbie questions, just tryin to do my homework as the only cubs i have experience with are the MTD ones and the early farmalls.

#10 aagitch OFFLINE  

aagitch
  • Member No: 81045
  • 105 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted September 15, 2016 - 11:05 PM

If u want a red one with gear drive then the 582 (not the special) would be a good fit.

#11 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,358 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted September 16, 2016 - 03:26 PM

If u want a red one with gear drive then the 582 (not the special) would be a good fit.

:iagree:

The only downfall would be the 16hp Briggs engine in them I have heard is hard to find parts for.  Your other choice would be to try and find an 1806.  They are the aluminum housing MTD built unit BUT they have a Kohler Magnum 18 engine in them.  OR find a 582 without an engine and buy a replacement for it like a Kohler magnum or a Honda.  Small engine warehouse sells an adapter to put a gx series Honda in one.  Good luck in your search.

Sorry for the delayed response, I have been away from my computer since I made the post yesterday afternoon.

#12 DZG OFFLINE  

DZG
  • 281 Thanks
  • 266 posts

Posted September 17, 2016 - 07:36 AM

:iagree:

The only downfall would be the 16hp Briggs engine in them I have heard is hard to find parts for. Your other choice would be to try and find an 1806. They are the aluminum housing MTD built unit BUT they have a Kohler Magnum 18 engine in them. OR find a 582 without an engine and buy a replacement for it like a Kohler magnum or a Honda. Small engine warehouse sells an adapter to put a gx series Honda in one. Good luck in your search.

Sorry for the delayed response, I have been away from my computer since I made the post yesterday afternoon.

No problem i get busy to.

Im guessing the 4 digit IH cubs that land in sequence between the red and and 3 digit cubs are just as good to?

Ive been finding tons of them in really nice shape in the 3-500 dollar range.

I dont really want an MTD built one.

I was watching videos on youtube, and after seeing what these hydros stand up to, im open to either gear or hydro now. One guy was pulling a 1066 IH tractor with a mower on the back, i looked up the weight of the bare tractor it said between 12-15k. That impressed me.

Not that id be doing that, but it tells me i pry wont ever break one.

Ok, one last question, what are things to look for (common issues, etc) when i go to get one on the wide frame tractors?

#13 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,358 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted September 17, 2016 - 08:32 AM

The 4 digit tractor as you described are known as quietlines.  They are good tractors but were made to try and reduce noise levels and as such have a few quirks unique to that series.  The engine is bolted to a cradle which sits on rubber "iso mounts"that are then bolted to the tractor frame.  The drive shaft has flex couplers on it as well too.  The problem is the mounts wear out and then the engine shakes the tractor and driveline wearing out the flex couplers.  The muffler is inside a large box that has a tendency to crack at its mounts leading to many of the boxes being removed over time due to unique parts to them.  The engines also had a balance gear in them that would break and wreak havoc inside the block giving them the moniker "grenade" gears.  

Having said all that don't be afraid of one of them.  I had a 1450 ten years ago and sold it for a snow blower for my 107.  I wish now I still had that tractor and regret selling it.  I think they are the nicest looking Cub Cadets that IH made.  And they have a nice control layout as well.