• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 flgudmusic OFFLINE  

flgudmusic
  • Member No: 83386
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted September 15, 2016 - 11:15 AM

I've got a question that will probably sound silly to the average Gravely buff, but it's my situation at the moment.
A neighbor removed my dual 5.70/ 5 - 8 turf tires that used 6" dual adapters from my Commercial 12 and didn't really pay attention to the placement of the valve stems. I cleaned the old split rims, painted 'em and he mounted a set of 4.80 - 8 tractor lug/ bar treads. Not realizing that the adapters had a cutout for the valve stems, he put that set of tires on(one wheel hole off from correct). I'm not even sure if I should take em off and move 'em so that the original connector/ stud holes match w/ the splined studs.
 Now I've realized a single set of narrow, aggressive tread tires are far too small a footprint for so much weight and power and am replacing the other 2 turfs w/ 2 more  4.80 - 8 bar treads. I'm wondering if I can use the original 6" adapters or MUST I buy the narrower adapters. I'm also not sure if I should mount the second set, which will be on the insides, w/ the valves facing the machine or not. Common sense tells me that I should point 'em where I can get at 'em but maybe if I can use my wider adapters, there'll be space in between.
I'm gonna use all the hints given about mounting the tires w/ out destroying the tubes, that I've seen here.
Thanx for any help and suggestions you can give.    Pat

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted September 15, 2016 - 02:12 PM

I think that you need to add some pics to show what you are talking about. I don't understand the problem,seems like it should just be moved and the rest put together. Good Luck, Rick

#3 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,626 Thanks
  • 3,919 posts

Posted September 15, 2016 - 03:36 PM

The wide spacer/weights will work fine with the narrower tires.  Lots of big farm tractors have a gap between the duals for row crop operations.  In all reality,  there won't be enough difference to worry about. 

#4 flgudmusic OFFLINE  

flgudmusic
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted September 15, 2016 - 04:02 PM

I appreciate the reply but I have no way to do pictures. Maybe I asked too many questions at once.
Going from wide turf tires on duals w/ a 6"adapter can I use the same setup w/ narrow 4.80 - 8 bar/ AG, tractor tires or do I have to buy narrower adapters?

#5 flgudmusic OFFLINE  

flgudmusic
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted September 15, 2016 - 04:21 PM

Thanx Kris,
I responded before I saw your answer. THAT answers one of my ?'s Next is that the neighbor mounted the first 2 skinny 4.80 - 8 AG tires w/ new tubes in such a way that the mounting holes were off by 1 space and I couldn't use the adapters/ wheel weights on THOSE 2 if I wanted w/ out un-mouting 'em & moving everything around by 1 hole so the valve stems lined up w/ their holes. Now that I'm gonna do another set of the same size tires, I could align them correctly so the adapters fit as intended, BUT if I point the valve stems toward the machine body, it won't matter, 'cuz the valve stem won't need the adapter 'cutout' that wasn't allowed for in the first set, by my neighbor, who was trying to help me.
I'm hoping this paragraph makes sense. Pat

#6 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted September 15, 2016 - 07:23 PM

You would probably have more traction with the wide turf tires than the narrow duels and save yourself a lot of headaches.

#7 PaulL OFFLINE  

PaulL
  • Member No: 49081
  • 111 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted September 26, 2016 - 01:27 AM

Either wide or narrow spacers will work with 4.80X4.00X8 Ags. When you assemble the second set of ags align the valve stems facing out per the cutout in the spacers and use that set of tires as the inside set. I would still deflate and properly reassemble the wheels that are incorrectly aligned at this time. It is a whole lot easier getting split rims out of tire beads when they are new or at least recently assembled as compared to after they have been mounted for a few years with some rust accumulated.