• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 504 Thanks
  • 319 posts

Posted September 14, 2016 - 10:39 PM

Hi all,   Like the title says I'm looking for info.  I have a Cub Cadet 1914 super gt that I repowered with a Kohler magnum 20 and have the opportunity to buy a near mint model 551 snowblower for it dirt cheap. The problem is that the tractors the 551 was made to be used on have a 6.05 inch pulley on the clutch and my tractor has a clutch from a Cub Cadet 2072 that has a 4.6 inch pulley.  I chased out all the part numbers for the clutches on the tractors at work and found that my engine has a 1 1/4 inch crank and all the later Kohler powered tractors with the bigger pulley have 1 1/8 inch cranks.  I called xtreme clutches and talked to them and they don't make a clutch for 1 1/4 cranks and they wont custom make me a clutch due to liability reasons.  So I figured I'd ask here if anyone knows of a tractor that had a 1 1/4 inch crank and a pulley that was somewhere between 5 3/4 and 6 1/4 inch diameter that I could make work so I can use the blower.  Thanks in advance,  Stewart

• chieffan said thank you

#2 Eric ONLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 1,002 Thanks
  • 678 posts

Posted September 14, 2016 - 10:45 PM

Can't you just change the snowblower pulley to a different size as to match the ratio that was on the unit it was made for, should take some math but same revolution speed should be obtainable or at least fairly close.
  • Cvans, diesel nut and chieffan have said thanks

#3 olds45512 ONLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 609 Thanks
  • 349 posts

Posted September 14, 2016 - 10:56 PM

Can't you just change the snowblower pulley to a different size as to match the ratio that was on the unit it was made for, should take some math but same revolution speed should be obtainable or at least fairly close.

that's what I was going to suggest, if you make the pulley on the blower 1.5" smaller then the ratio will be pretty close to original.
  • Cvans, diesel nut, Eric and 1 other said thanks

#4 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,168 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted September 15, 2016 - 07:13 AM

If you use what you have the blower won't turn as fast and won't throw the snow as far - but will have more power in wet heavy snow.  Where are you at horse power wise between your engine and what the blower was made for?  I would try it as is first.  Can always change the pulley size and belt.

• diesel nut said thank you

#5 olds45512 ONLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 609 Thanks
  • 349 posts

Posted September 15, 2016 - 09:35 AM

He's got 20hp which should be plenty for that blower at the correct ratio.
  • Cvans said thank you

#6 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 504 Thanks
  • 319 posts

Posted September 15, 2016 - 11:44 AM

If you use what you have the blower won't turn as fast and won't throw the snow as far - but will have more power in wet heavy snow.  Where are you at horse power wise between your engine and what the blower was made for?  I would try it as is first.  Can always change the pulley size and belt.

The blower was made to fit 14, 16, and 18 hp tractors and there was probably some that were put on the last of the super gts that were 17-22 hp but all of them had the bigger pulley.  The original blowers for the tractor had problems not turning fast enough so there was a kit made that changed the speed in the gear box but finding the kit now is almost impossible and it wont fit on the 551 blower.

As for changing the pulley on the blower I thought about that but the problem is the shaft is splined not keyed so I'd have to find a coupler to fit the shaft and weld a pulley on that.                                  Stewart