MW 16hp loader starter will not crank

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dmac OFFLINE  

• Member No: 84227
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted September 14, 2016 - 06:50 PM

Howdy folks, I am in need of a little help. This summer I found a MW 16hp hydrostatic with a loader I could not pass up. It was very slow turning over so I bought a battery. It turned over enough to get it to run and get it home. I had the starter/generator rebuilt and now it won't even spin the motor with the plug in. I have both a 100cca and a 300cca battery. The static voltage is 12.5 and the cranking voltage is 10.4/5 with either battery. I am using a set of jumper cables and going directly to the battery post on the starter and a clean ground on the starter. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

#2 olcowhand OFFLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,252 Thanks
  • 29,702 posts

Posted September 14, 2016 - 06:53 PM

Starter generators require a lot more amperage than regular starters.  Even a 300cca is on the low end for them.  I like to use a minimum 350 cca, but 500+ os way better.  That said, you still may have starter issues.

• boyscout862 and Dmac have said thanks

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,529 Thanks
  • 6,382 posts

Posted September 14, 2016 - 07:32 PM

I bought a series 26 for my bolens. 550 or so crank amps and was just a $50 battery, what a deal. These are bigger than standard GT battery, yet smaller than a car battery. Farm stores should have them, if not the auto stores.  That 100 size battery is No good at all, and even the 300 which is better on most, might not be good for a Starter/gen system as noted. Cleaning all the wire connector ends at battery, grounds, the selinoid on both sides and it being bolted down to clean ground also might be a help. Putting BIGGER bat cables on it and maybe bigger wires from it to the gen may help. If you are bypassing all this and still weak, I would have to think the batts are problem. ALSO......if trying to jump with really long cables like jumpers, they suck the power right out of a battery and are too much resistance to allow the strength needed to run the gen because they are too long.  I have jumper batt/boxes that I use for things, and they have real short cables, (sometimes too short).  I had an old one that went bad and removed the cables to use as short jumpers on just a GT battery if needed for testing also.

#4 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,055 Thanks
  • 1,436 posts

Posted September 14, 2016 - 07:37 PM

What is the starter having to turn over. Is it just the tractor motor or is it also having to turn a hyd pump that's used to run the loader.If thats the case maybe your going to have to make a belt tensioner/release to the pump for the loader.Not sure if this is how yours is set up ??

• Gtractor, boyscout862 and Dmac have said thanks

#5 chieffan OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 5,776 Thanks
  • 4,287 posts

Posted September 14, 2016 - 08:42 PM

I buy Interstate batteries with a minimum of 400 cca for all the tractors I intend to keep.  The rebuild my not be right either.  Could have a bushing that was wrong, etc.

#6 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,520 Thanks
  • 7,382 posts

Posted September 15, 2016 - 06:25 AM

Welcome to GTT. Check our Manuals Section for the tractor and engine manuals. Check the specifications on the battery and thetroubleshooting section on the starter. Good Luck, Rick

• Dmac said thank you

#7 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,119 Thanks
  • 5,670 posts

Posted September 15, 2016 - 09:36 AM

:welcometogttalk: :wewantpics: You still have a starter/generator problem

• Dmac said thank you