• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 thom OFFLINE  

thom
  • Member No: 33353
  • 305 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted September 14, 2016 - 04:35 PM

I usually get busy in the fall with engine and tractor projects. It has been too hot to work on anything that ain't broke. I plan to get both my snowblowers running and ready. I am also going to restore the Bolens G9 that I bought last spring. Most parts of it will be derusted using the electrolysis  method. I have a 55 gallon barrel for the biggest stuff and a 5 gallon container for the small stuff. I'm looking forward to some cooler evenings .

• Username, twostep, HANKG and 3 others have said thanks

#2 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted September 14, 2016 - 05:30 PM

It's that time of the year again for me to buy another $200 all in one printer.

#3 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted September 14, 2016 - 07:42 PM

$200??  I get the $80 ones and have to buy ink many times, but works fine. Darn ink uses up fast, have more on hand. The purchase of all the inks is almost same as buying another small printer anymore!  I've tried a few brands and all the same way on ink and prices.

Snow blowers??? Well, guess I shouldn't talk, now working on my V-blade for the PK in my shop too. I'll be tinkering on my G9 frame too, but will be real slow going on any of it, have others more important to do first.  Guess I'll be putting blades on some soon while warm. The Speedex gets one, the PK, the big Snapper King gets the brush put on it, but gets little use. Just the tractor for every implement kind of idea here, heh!

#4 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted September 15, 2016 - 08:14 AM

$200??  I get the $80 ones and have to buy ink many times, but works fine. Darn ink uses up fast, have more on hand. The purchase of all the inks is almost same as buying another small printer anymore!  I've tried a few brands and all the same way on ink and prices.

Bought cheaper ones and better ones and the results are about the same.This one was a top rated HP 8610 and it lasted a year and quit just after I installed new ink.I went with a black and white lazer printer this time.Should be good to go for another year.

#5 thom OFFLINE  

thom
  • 305 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted September 30, 2016 - 09:35 AM

I have done some more disassembly on the G-9.It is now down to a rolling chassis. I plan to put all the parts thru the derusting tanks and paint each part as I put it back together. I need to decide what
black paint to use on the chassis parts. I am looking to expose some of the original paint but I believe it was some kind of semi-gloss.
It appears that my biggest expense is going to be the front 480/400-8 tires. The rear tires look like they will be ok with new tubes.
My engine and transaxle will just be cleaned and painted.

Edited by thom, September 30, 2016 - 09:41 AM.

• Alc said thank you

#6 Paulgo OFFLINE  

Paulgo
  • Member No: 68759
  • 594 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted September 30, 2016 - 03:27 PM

The Bolens forum here has a sticky with paint codes.  Paul

#7 thom OFFLINE  

thom
  • 305 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted September 30, 2016 - 11:22 PM

downsize54_zpsjcuou4fn.jpg

downsize55_zpsa5ssyjo3.jpg

It's obvious why these are called tube frame Bolens.The one on the left in the pic is not bent. I went back and checked after looking at the pic. It's an optical illusion .

Edited by thom, October 01, 2016 - 05:48 AM.

• Alc said thank you