#16 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,026 Thanks
  • 1,122 posts

Posted September 14, 2016 - 09:39 PM

Anyone own one? I have a story that goes along with why I am asking, I'm looking for an F100 or F250. 61-69 year model. 

I'd love to see some photos. Anyone have one they no longer want? :) Make more room for tractors ;)

My story is about my late friend Steve Lopes. Great man, great friend, I miss him daily. Passed one year ago in about a month from now. Tough pill to swallow even today. He had a 1965 Ford F250 that he loved. Truck was garage kept, and it was a looker! He & I are Ford men, and he didn't always get along with everyone from the fire dept, but he got along with me. We'd sit around talking Fords, just agreeing with one another. 

it got to the point where my now ex g/f would call him "future me". He was 55 & I'm 30, we just clicked. So years of friendship built and now he's gone. Truck is going to his young daughter, which I'm glad to see.

Now my hunt begins for mine, just now without my friend helping me along the way. In spirit I know he's around, but obviously it's not the same. 

So here I am looking for a Slick to drive in his honor and when I have kids, we can drive in together. 

That's the short, short version of my story.

I don't know squat about Fords to speak of but I dig old trucks, just so happened my life had lead down a GMC path---no Chevy's even. One thing I have always noticed about '60's Ford trucks vs GM trucks is that the interiors, steering wheels and trim seems so much more detailed and colorful than what GM offered. There is an old gent that lives across the road that has a really nice Ford from the era you are speaking of. It sits outside by a garage, but his daughter that lives to the east of us on a different lot goes over there and drives it now and then. From 50 feet it looks like new. I've never looked close at it though. A co-worker has a '65 Ford stepside in his garage that he hot rodded up a long time ago and the 13 years i have worked with him he hasn't driven it more than around the block he lives on a few times.

I drive the crap out of my GMC's, (except for one with no drive train in it) but their looks suffer because of it I guess!

I hope you find a truck that will keep the connection with Steve on track. he had a great truck!

DAC

• Gtractor and jpackard56 have said thanks

#17 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,592 Thanks
  • 3,905 posts

Posted September 14, 2016 - 10:07 PM

Here is a [crappy] shot of my '62 F100 shortbed.  I had to take a picture of a picture [again]

292 4speed complete with gooseneck hitch and electric trailer brakes.  [NO JOKE!!]

Haven't had it running in several years but everything did work including the factory AM radio and the turn signals still cancelled themselves.   Previous owner parked it because he snapped an axle in hauling firewood.  Said it was stacked higher than the cab when the axle decided it had enough. 

It ran fine but man that 292 can clatter the valve train.  It has the "recalled" external oil lines for the rockers but sounds like it was run a looong time without much oil getting to the rockers.  As I understand very common on 292's.  That's the original paint.

62 F100.jpg

Edited by Gtractor, September 14, 2016 - 10:07 PM.

• Cvans said thank you

#18 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,728 Thanks
  • 2,245 posts

Posted September 20, 2016 - 02:23 PM

It's funny how much one will learn in less than a week. I'm getting internet tomorrow so I can search more and learn more than just at work. Damn, now I won't be getting paid to read about Ford trucks! :( hahaha

BUT! I do know that I'm looking for a 65/66 F100. I like the 250 models, but their so few and far between that it's going to be tough finding one that I can afford. In the rust belt of the north east, these trucks are expensive since most are brought in from the south or west. 

If I can find one in Rangoon Red then I'll be happy! That'll be close enough that when it's all done, a Bush Hog will go in the back! :)

#19 pick-to-stone OFFLINE  

pick-to-stone

Living in the past

• Member No: 76550
  • 253 Thanks
  • 371 posts

Posted September 20, 2016 - 03:07 PM

Hi found one if you would would like to make the drive http://www.ebay.com/...em=302073608802

#20 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,395 Thanks
  • 39,658 posts

Posted September 20, 2016 - 03:18 PM

When I left for Wichita Friday, I followed an awesome looking 65-66 1/2T for  about 20 miles!

#21 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,592 Thanks
  • 3,905 posts

Posted September 20, 2016 - 03:43 PM

I saw a loooonng time parked el-cheap-O '65 F250 sell yesterday for $150.  Body looked super good and all the glass was good. They couldn't guarantee a title.  The auctioneers website doesn't have a picture of that one.

Here is a '59 1 ton with hoist from the same auction. it also brought $150.  I believe it had been sitting a lot less years.  There were at least 6 old Ford trucks at that auction.  One might not be headed to China but the rest were based on what they brought.

16LedfordGrainTruck.jpg

Edited by Gtractor, September 20, 2016 - 03:46 PM.

#22 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,728 Thanks
  • 2,245 posts

Posted September 20, 2016 - 03:47 PM

Title isn't an issue in Rhode Island. Something in this crooked state that's actually easy to do is reg a vehicle, 01 or older does not need a title. Just a bill of sale. :) $250 would have been nice! I bet those cab mounts were gone though. 

Any vehicle that sits exposed from what I am reading, the drip edge on the roof rots. 

• Gtractor said thank you

#23 pick-to-stone OFFLINE  

pick-to-stone

Living in the past

• 253 Thanks
  • 371 posts

Posted September 20, 2016 - 04:28 PM

And here a pic of it

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

#24 pick-to-stone OFFLINE  

pick-to-stone

Living in the past

• 253 Thanks
  • 371 posts

Posted September 20, 2016 - 04:36 PM

Found a f100 close to custom cab http://www.ebay.com/...em=142119353806

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

#25 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,728 Thanks
  • 2,245 posts

Posted September 21, 2016 - 11:03 AM

Thanks guys! I'm on a few different forums now hunting these vehicles down to find the right one. Issue is, sellers have seen too many pickers shows. It's just like tractors, people think their worth their weight in gold in some cases.

#26 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,477 Thanks
  • 5,009 posts

Posted September 21, 2016 - 11:11 AM

Issue is, sellers have seen too many pickers shows.

Ain't that the truth. Your far better off to find one on your own. Anyone who takes the time to list it on the internet is gold digging.  :mad2:

• Gtractor said thank you

#27 pick-to-stone OFFLINE  

pick-to-stone

Living in the past

• 253 Thanks
  • 371 posts

Posted September 21, 2016 - 12:30 PM

Good point I come a cross to many high price mower decks

#28 DZG OFFLINE  

DZG
  • Member No: 84305
  • 280 Thanks
  • 266 posts

Posted October 14, 2016 - 04:31 PM

Hey an old ford thread.

Ive had tons of old fords in the time ive been driving, never any slicks or bumps, but 4 or 5 73-79s, an 83, an 89, and 2 of the 92-96/97HD trucks, and a 97 expedition. Out of all of them, the 73-79s have by far, been the toughest, most trouble free, solid performing vehicles ive ever owned.

My current daily driver, all 4seasons, bought it 5 years ago for 2000 dollars, have put maybe 500 into besides normal stuff, never left me stranded and was jumping diesels at work on those -30* nights we had a couple winters ago. 77 F250 Camper Special Ranger XLT with a 400/C6 and 2wd.

20161014_171758.jpg

Now, on the oppisite side of the spectrum, THE biggest money pit ive ever owned, a 97 F250 HD with a 460/E4OD auto, 2wd, it does awesome toting my 7000 lb travel trailer (that i actually used to pull with the 77 untill 3 years ago), but ive put around 2k into motor work, head gaskets, timing gaskets, other little things, and it hasnt even turned 80k yet. Hopefully i got it worked out now though...

20161014_171830.jpg

This is my 2nd 460, ill never own another, they have awesome power, but both have been huge headaches.

• KennyP, Titus and Cvans have said thanks

#29 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,696 Thanks
  • 8,890 posts

Posted October 14, 2016 - 07:43 PM

I figured the '97 250's would be fairly bulletproof, figuring it was the last year of that body.

#30 DZG OFFLINE  

DZG
  • Member No: 84305
  • 280 Thanks
  • 266 posts

Posted October 15, 2016 - 07:20 AM

I figured the '97 250's would be fairly bulletproof, figuring it was the last year of that body.

The truck itself is great, its just been cooling system issues, and to be fair the cooling system was neglected bad by its first owner.
  • Cat385B said thank you