• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted September 14, 2016 - 06:52 AM

I seen this older drill press on craigslist last night. We made arrangements to meet early. The ad says good shape & runs well. The badges don't look clear so I'm not sure what model it is. I should be back in a couple of hours hopefully with pics.
  • Gtractor said thank you

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,802 Thanks
  • 7,542 posts

Posted September 14, 2016 - 07:14 AM

I hope that you have a safe trip. Good Luck, Rick

#3 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted September 14, 2016 - 10:36 AM

Nothing beats a good drill press

• Sawdust said thank you

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,649 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 14, 2016 - 10:55 AM

Those old Rockwell's are hard to beat!

• Sawdust said thank you

#5 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted September 14, 2016 - 03:19 PM

Well its mine & very happy with it. What I was expecting was a grease ball with a lot of rust & maybe worn...but just the total opposite. The PO had it for 2 years & very seldom used it. He said his PO took very good care of it & had not used it much either. It looks all original to maybe even the belt. It has some surface rust but nothing major. It runs good, solid, no vibrations or play in the spindle. One problem is the cracked & broken table where it mounts to the post. Before I went up there I went on line & found out a lot of these broke in that area. He didn't have the broken piece so I'll probably leave well enough alone for right now & shop for a replacement table later.

The model # 15-017 serial # 1603314. The motor brand is an Ajax 1/2HP. The chuck is a Jacobs 5/64"- 1/2". The PO was asking $100. I was willing to give him that until I seen the broken table mount. I offered him $70. & he countered $75. & I very happily agreed.

If you have any thoughts or history on these please give me your advice. I'm going to clean it up, & give it a good maintenance check. I also found some PDF manuals online I'll download for future reference. Thanks for looking.

Drill press1.jpg Drill press2.jpg Drill press3.jpg Drill press4.jpg Drill press5.jpg Drill press6.jpg Drill press7.jpg Drill press9.jpg

The big booger!

Drill press8.jpg

Edited by Sawdust, September 14, 2016 - 03:40 PM.

• KennyP, MFDAC, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,649 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 14, 2016 - 04:04 PM

Awesome deal and in awesome condition!  I'd get me a piece of 1/4" x 2" strap & weld with nickel or stainless rod to repair that clamp.  Just spot weld so it doesn't heat things too hot to create cold cracking.  Once cooled from that, then add more spot welds. 

• Sawdust said thank you

#7 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,034 Thanks
  • 1,127 posts

Posted September 14, 2016 - 07:57 PM

Great deal on a great tool, Jim!

DAC

• Sawdust said thank you

#8 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted September 19, 2016 - 03:25 PM

I had some time this morning to do some cleaning. I took some small parts off & wire brushed them, they cleaned up quickly. I raised the head up about 6". Before I could do that I had to clean the mast up where it had some surface rust inside the head area. I need to use this now so I'll probably wait later to do a better job of cleaning & painting. This is a very nice machine well built, runs smooth & no wobble. I got a friend that should be able to weld up the broken table. I've never welded cast before. I priced some tables on eBay & they cost as much as I paid for the DP :mad2:

Drill press12.jpg Drill press13.jpg Drill press14.jpg Drill press15.jpg

Don't worry about all the wires hanging in the back their not hot.  These are some circuits I ran for my new box I'll be installing this winter.

Edited by Sawdust, September 19, 2016 - 03:28 PM.

• olcowhand said thank you