Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Well, she's done. K66 Upgrade. And worth every penny spent.

k46 k66 pedal control locking differential

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Charles G. Van De Sampel OFFLINE  

Charles G. Van De Sampel
  • Member No: 83224
  • 21 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted September 13, 2016 - 11:36 PM

Well, I know there are some naysayers out there that think this was a waste of money, but since I didn't have $12K in my back pocket for the Kubota of my dreams, this was a cheaper option. In my earlier post of a few months ago, I shared my photos of the damaged original trans mounts on my Husqy LGT 2654 after harrowing a section of my acre of ground, and what I replaced them with. The stability and solid feel of the GT was enhanced by that repair. But I started to have issues with the low level K46 ( the second 'NEW' trans with just a little under 100 hours) getting slower and slower. 

Now we come to the K66 upgrade. Here's where some of you bawked at the cost outlay ($2250). I have found that it was worth the cost, labor and time to perform this swap of weak for strong. And while this conversion was not recommended for the 'HAND' controlled versions due to safety issues, I spent the extra $250 to convert it to 'PEDAL / FOOT' control. So a total tear down was warranted for all of the work to be done. From start to finish, it took a total of about 9 hours spread over this past Saturday and Sunday. Just like I did when first learning how to rebuild a Chrysler Torqueflite when I was 15, I've kept that same process  through most of my life of taking my time and studying the mechanism to be repaired. I took my time taking this tractor apart, cleaning it, and then reassembling.  Also while I was at it, I drilled two adjoining 1 7/8" holes in the back plate to ease in the maintenance of the K66 and installed a pair of taillights to boot.  

With this changeover, I also acquired the 'cruise control' function which I found out today to be a very relaxing option when mowing my acre. So I've thrown together some photos of the project of this past weekend of 10 and 11 September. 

By the way, without the deck installed, I actually pulled the front wheels off of the ground. Now that's torque!

the parts package.jpg [attacK66 trans.jpg the changeover.jpg Back plate cutout.jpg Through the porthole.jpg hment=211091:down to the frame.jpg]

Attached Thumbnails

• down to the frame.jpg

• jhn9840, rustyoldjunk, Gtractor and 7 others have said thanks

#2 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 987 Thanks
  • 669 posts

Posted September 13, 2016 - 11:55 PM

Well let me be the first to congratulate you on your build. While I think this was not the path I would ever take if it makes you happy then that's what counts! I do feel compelled to ask how you haven’t lost faith in that tractor, or at least brand? But it is your money and time so who am I to ask such silly questions.

#3 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted September 14, 2016 - 06:03 AM

I never understood that/ give the price of a new, comparable "whole" machine, how  replacing just one component can cost as much or more than a whole nother tractor..... to buy a tractor in "parts" would cost 3 to 4 times the cost of the whole unit when new.

• Eric said thank you

#4 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,624 Thanks
  • 7,665 posts

Posted September 14, 2016 - 06:51 AM

I hope you enjoy your tractor. If the rest of the machine last as long as the trans, you should get a lot of use out of it.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 Charles G. Van De Sampel OFFLINE  

Charles G. Van De Sampel
  • 21 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted September 14, 2016 - 02:28 PM

Eric, it's not the whole tractor that is bad, just certain areas of cheapness by the manufacturer and its part suppliers. While the K46 trans is known to be a weak link ( you'll find it in almost all of the low priced GT's $1000 - $2500), and I tore the trans frame mounts by applying too much torque on a 9 point garden harrow, it showed me where ANY GT can be improved. I grew up in a time where it didn't matter what kind of car or truck you drove, you kept a basic tool kit in the trunk to tighten up all of the loose parts that the factory didn't tighten on the line before it got shipped to the dealer. And then again, why go out and purchase a new tractor? it just means that I have to start all over again when it begins to have issues. Coming from a family of farmers and a few engineers (my dads dad has five patents on five different implements for CASE tractor) on one side who knew vigilance in fixing what you've got rather than buying another batch of problems, I know I've got it where it needs to be. 

• HANKG and Eric have said thanks

#6 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,471 Thanks
  • 3,369 posts

Posted September 14, 2016 - 07:06 PM

I agree with what you did, I would have tried to find a used one, because I'm cheap, though!

#7 Charles G. Van De Sampel OFFLINE  

Charles G. Van De Sampel
  • 21 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted September 16, 2016 - 10:52 AM

Toppop52. Believe me when I say that looking for a used one was on my mind, then I got to thinking about what I was going to get in the long run - someone elses 'maybe' abused unit that I would still need to pump money into for rebuild. Someone elses problems. At least with RJR's lifetime warranty, I'll get better results than I did from Lowe's and that overpriced, worthless extended 4 year warranty that I originally had on the tractor. 

#8 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,480 Thanks
  • 5,011 posts

Posted September 16, 2016 - 11:56 AM

Congratulations on a successful project. 

Funny you mentioned the "cruise control" and that you find it relaxing. On two of my diesel conversions I didn't bother hooking it up. The new simplicity has it and I haven't used it yet. None of the areas in out 1 1/2 acres is long enough to bother with it. If we had long straight runs I could see it being useful. Going to have to try it some day out by the hi-way. 

Bet your going to love the foot controlled hydro. Been using that for years now and would find it hard to go back.

#9 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,480 Thanks
  • 5,011 posts

Posted September 25, 2016 - 04:57 PM

Charles G. Van De Sampel

I started mowing last week and remembered your comments here about cruise control and decided to give it a try. On the largest part of the yard after doing the edges I set the cruise. Quickly found out that I needed to slow down a little as I wanted to leave it on during the turn-arounds. You know what, I like it. Just one less thing to think about when mowing. Even though the speed was slower the lawn was getting mowed faster. If I remember I'm going to have to do it again.  :D

• Alc and Charles G. Van De Sampel have said thanks

#10 Charles G. Van De Sampel OFFLINE  

Charles G. Van De Sampel
  • 21 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted September 27, 2016 - 07:51 AM

Cvans, thanks for the reply. Right now, i'm in the middle of building a new shed, but after that, I'll be getting back to working on linkage for the K-66 differential lock. THIS YEAR, I want to be able to use a plow for moving snow instead of two snow throwers, for a driveway 60x120. I want to be outside then back inside in less than 45 minutes rather than the normal 1 1/2 hours. I have no problem with upgrading anything mechanical. Some repairs or mods can be cheap, while others that may seem cost prohibitive, are actually necessary. You can blame my dad for it when he bought that 73 C10 Chevy with the foldable hood. Took us a year to find faults and beef her up.My GT's and tractors are the same way. Tough and Tougher. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: k46, k66, pedal control, locking differential