Well, I know there are some naysayers out there that think this was a waste of money, but since I didn't have $12K in my back pocket for the Kubota of my dreams, this was a cheaper option. In my earlier post of a few months ago, I shared my photos of the damaged original trans mounts on my Husqy LGT 2654 after harrowing a section of my acre of ground, and what I replaced them with. The stability and solid feel of the GT was enhanced by that repair. But I started to have issues with the low level K46 ( the second 'NEW' trans with just a little under 100 hours) getting slower and slower.
Now we come to the K66 upgrade. Here's where some of you bawked at the cost outlay ($2250). I have found that it was worth the cost, labor and time to perform this swap of weak for strong. And while this conversion was not recommended for the 'HAND' controlled versions due to safety issues, I spent the extra $250 to convert it to 'PEDAL / FOOT' control. So a total tear down was warranted for all of the work to be done. From start to finish, it took a total of about 9 hours spread over this past Saturday and Sunday. Just like I did when first learning how to rebuild a Chrysler Torqueflite when I was 15, I've kept that same process through most of my life of taking my time and studying the mechanism to be repaired. I took my time taking this tractor apart, cleaning it, and then reassembling. Also while I was at it, I drilled two adjoining 1 7/8" holes in the back plate to ease in the maintenance of the K66 and installed a pair of taillights to boot.
With this changeover, I also acquired the 'cruise control' function which I found out today to be a very relaxing option when mowing my acre. So I've thrown together some photos of the project of this past weekend of 10 and 11 September.
By the way, without the deck installed, I actually pulled the front wheels off of the ground. Now that's torque!