Garden Tractor Forums banner

JD 112 w/Kohler 10hp

809 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  yardiron 
#1 ·
I found this on CL the other day, it caught my eye in the pic so I went to look at it.

The guy won't budge on the price but its got a lot of new parts, it looks to have been apart for decades.

The engine fires up on carb spray, the transaxle is either brand new or rebuilt, its got four new tires, and the guy has a new hood for it for $25 more. The thing looks clean, it don't look like its been beaten on for years. The paint on the fenders and hood still shines, its not all rusted up. The deck looks good but one or two of the wheels are cracked. Its a four wheel deck.

All of the bits not shown are in boxes, some new, some used.

I'm thinking that no matter what I can't lose even if I just part it out. The transaxle, new tires, and engine have to be worth more than what he's asking, let alone a new hood.

He's got a few other spare parts as well, spare fenders, shifter, etc. He may have parted out another machine years ago and has some bits left over. I just wish it had ags and a snow plow, I don't have much grass to cut, I need a work tractor not a mower.

Looking at this in person I sort of wondered if it was a restoration in process or if the guy had a new tractor he was using for parts, the paint on the fenders, transaxle, and side cover looks minty perfect like they came off a new machine or spent the past 45 years on a shelf somewhere. The same with the new hood he has that's not pictured.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/grd/5755484198.html

00x0x_h5dgVuIRNpf_600x450.jpg

00w0w_h3ubZYnOn4R_600x450.jpg

See less See more
#3 ·
I really wasn't considering it as a not running, since it only needs a handful of things reattached to get it going again. By the looks of it, only the pan, seat, and side cover need to be reattached. I also have to figure out what to do with the deck belt since I wouldn't be using the deck. I looks like I'd have to remove the drive pulley to get that belt off and out of the way?

I just want it for plowing snow and as a cart hauler around the yard in the summer. I have a set of new ag tires that I'd be swapping on to it.

I like that its got a Kohler motor and not the Tecumseh motor as well.

The way I see it someone put a grand or more into this in parts and let it sit. The new tires, two new rear rims, a transaxle, a new hood, and a handful of small parts from the dealer weren't cheap. The odd part is that its not in bad shape overall, it don't look like its ever seen much use. Usually an old machine like this is covered in dirt and grease. The two year old tractor I cut grass with is dirtier and more worn that this 112 is.

#4 ·
That tractor has been posted on anther forum at some point but I forget which one.

My thoughts (do with them what you want)

Pros:

- Kohler powered

- new tires

- original seat pan and decent seat (reproduction available at Hapcoparts.com)

- decent condition

- headlight panel is good

- deck is a later 4 wheel version and will work on the 200 series

Cons:

- price seems high for a non-runner (based on what I see here in Iowa)

- damaged hood (replacements are easy enough to find or you can repair that one if the pieces are there)

#5 ·
There's a new hood with the deal for an extra $25, or $500 for all.

The thing runs, I had it fired up on some 2+2 carb cleaner.

The pan isn't bolted down, and there's a box of new springs that need to be put on.

The side cover is off and the deck belt needs to be dealt with since I won't be hanging the deck.
It doesn't look like it can be left there to just float or idle with out the deck installed?

It doesn't look like it can be removed without taking the whole variable drive pulley set off?

I don't have any others like it to compare to, I looked at a handful of old machines that were sitting outdoors for years, all were in really bad condition and they wanted $300 or more for junk in totally unknown condition. This one has a new trans, new tires, new rims, new springs, and a new hood. I think even the seat springs are new but I didn't see a receipt or package from those there. There's also another fender pan, hood, and a few boxes of parts from another machine he must have parted out a long time ago. The motor sounded good, the fuel tank is shiny and clean and completely dry. I took a battery with me and it cranked right up after giving it a shot of carb cleaner. I' be willing to bet it'll fire up just fine on a tank of fresh gas.

#8 ·
Not to be harsh, but you asked for people's thoughts, they gave them to you and then you kind of challenge them on it. It sounds like you have made up your mind.

When you went to look at it did you take a trailer and cash in hand? I bet three to three fifty cash in hand would have taken it. Your best negotiating position was the first time. Now if you go back, you tip your hand as to how interested you are in it.

For me personally, I never do anything extra to try and start an engine. If it won't turn over and start as it sits, I treat it as non-running and negotiate accordingly. If you make it start, it may give you peace of mind but lose some bargaining power in the process.

I have no idea what it's worth, but remind them those tires were new twenty years ago. Unused doesn't necessarily equal new prices.

If you want it for five, then go get it, don't look back and have some fun.

#10 ·
You bet I tried to get a better deal but he won't budge, the last machine he had got parted out on eBay. He knows what the new transaxle and new hood will sell for on eBay, let alone those shiny new tires and rims. The tires and rims are new this year, apparently the seller bought the tires to make the thing moveable. Apparently the guy had it apart on a work bench, with only the wheels and fender pan still off. There's a few new springs that need to be installed, one appears to be for the brakes, the other for the main belt tension. One of the things that really caught my attention on this thing was how easy it rolled and steered. That may sound strange but it steers like its got power steering even sitting still. None of my other tractors steer anywhere near that easy.

The clutch pedal and all the small bits are there, plus a few extra parts from another machine.
I walked away and left my number in hopes he'll come down in price on Saturday.

In a way I can't blame the guy, I think I'd part it out before letting it go for less than the sum of even half its parts.

I think the tractor came out of PA, all the vehicles in the yard had PA tags and he had shelves full of orange parts ready to sell.

I just hate to come off $500 for a project, even if its half way done already.

I gave $250 for the last 112 I had and sold it for $800 at a yard sale of all places, with no deck or attachments. I gave the guy what I thought was a crazy price and he bought it on the spot. I wish I had kept that one, even though I think this one I'm looking at is a lot cleaner.

I'm not headed down that way for a few more days, if the time comes and he hasn't called me I suppose I'll have to make a decision then.

How hard would it be to locate a snow plow for one of these? Maybe a sleeve hitch set up too?

The deck would be sold.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.