• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted September 13, 2016 - 04:38 PM

I will preface this by saying that I'm 19 years old.

I have a safe hidden on my property, full of... valuable items and a lot of precious metals.

One of those items is a Will that I drew up myself.

My baby sister, who is merely 16 months my junior, has instruction to seek out this safe only under the circumstances that some emergency comes about --and to cut it open.

Held within the contents of the safe are names of people, with some contact information and instructions as to who is to acquire what items, and in what time/fashion or how to market and sell others.

There is also enough stored away in there to pay for a small funeral, and in the Will are instructions that she is to keep the remainder of my investments -the guns, ammo, precious metals, etc...- for herself or her children, to put towards their educations or to pay off her own student loans, pay for a wedding, down payment on a house, etc...

I've seen too much "crap" happen in life, and been to too many funerals of people who made everything way too hard on those surviving them. I want them to remember me and to heal as quickly and painlessly from my passing, so everything has its order.

hope your will is notarized otherwise it's void and useless
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#17 nkaust OFFLINE  

nkaust

• Member No: 6766
  • 28 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted September 13, 2016 - 08:09 PM

Told my wife to get the excavator and dig a hole where the barn was and put barn and contents on top of me, fill said hole then plant some daisies! Problem solved. At least in two thousand years the archeologists will be able to see what a strange man I was!

ahhh this made me laugh

• boyscout862 and Eric have said thanks

#18 nkaust OFFLINE  

nkaust

• Member No: 6766
  • 28 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted September 13, 2016 - 08:12 PM

everything is to be auctioned and no black at my funeral, bright colors and flip flops only

• Bruce Dorsi, boyscout862 and MailmAn have said thanks

#19 Dane in PA OFFLINE  

Dane in PA

Dane in PA

• Contributor
  • Member No: 9535
  • 512 Thanks
  • 588 posts

Posted September 13, 2016 - 08:35 PM

hope your will is notarized otherwise it's void and useless

Signed, Sealed and Delivered.

• MH81 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#20 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted September 14, 2016 - 08:53 AM

I will be 69 very soon, but because I am going to live forever, the disposal of my hoard should never become a problem.

• Bolens 1000, blackjackjakexxix, MailmAn and 3 others have said thanks

#21 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • Member No: 46660
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted September 14, 2016 - 09:12 AM

because I am going to live forever, the disposal of my hoard should never become a problem.

Even vampires love Bolens ;)
  • MH81, LPBolens, blackjackjakexxix and 1 other said thanks

#22 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted September 14, 2016 - 02:26 PM

My grandfather (dad's side) grew up in the depression and saved everything. If some used cast iron pipe fittings from a job looked like they could be reclaimed... he got them... old nuts/bolts/washer... boy do i got those too lol. You name something obscure... I probably have it. 

Nick

Yes, I know how that goes myself.  Both my grandparents grew up during the depression as well, but especially my dad's father was a bit of a hoarder you could say.  He owned a shoe store and tack and harness repair shop for several decades in Victor, NY.  When he finally "retired" and sold the store back in the 1980's, he kept EVERYTHING and moved all of his equipment and inventory from his shop into the garage and basement of his house.  He also kept all sorts of random stuff that he had accumulated over his whole life.  If there was a screw, nut or bolt that was left over from something or that he didn't know what it belonged to, he would save it.  He kept all sorts of buttons, snaps, pins, and other fasteners.  If he was building something new and had to dismantle something else first, he would save as much as he could from it to reuse on the new project.  (For instance, my dad built a new deck on his house many years ago and my grandfather helped with some of the construction.  When they were dismantling the old deck and pulling the old boards out from the floor, my grandfather was hammering out all the old nails and trying to hammer them back straight so he could reuse them on the new deck!  It drove my father crazy and said he can buy a couple of new boxes of nails at the hardware store.  My grandfather would respond with: "What for?  These will still work.  Don't waste the money buying new nails.")  His motto seemed to be "you never know when you might need something or it will come in handy and then you'll already have it."

About 10 or so years ago, well before he ended up in the nursing home, he did finally decide that he didn't really need to keep most of this stuff anymore and began selling it off.  He found a few shoe repair shops around that were interested in buying some of his old inventory (most of it you can't even buy anymore it was so old) and some machinery and cleared out his garage before my dad had to deal with selling his house after he moved into the nursing home.  He did move a lot of stuff, which made life easier on my dad when he had to clear out the house and get it ready to sell, but there was still a lot of stuff in that house to clear out.  My dad tried to be good and let my brother and I take anything that we wanted out of there that we wanted to keep to remember our grandfather by or that had sentimental value from when we were growing up, but otherwise, he tried to sell off as much as he could before throwing everything else out that no one wanted and he had no room or use for.  I think I recall my dad saying that he still filled up two full size dumpsters with stuff to take to the landfill after it was all said and done.  (A lot of it though was old furniture that you couldn't even give away as it was so old and worn or was in disrepair as well as the old carpets, fixtures, and stuff like that from the house that just needed to be tossed and redone to make the house sellable.)

Edited by MailmAn, September 14, 2016 - 02:32 PM.

• LPBolens, Dane in PA and nglauer have said thanks

#23 Cheesehead11854 OFFLINE  

Cheesehead11854
  • Member No: 60276
  • 5 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted September 17, 2016 - 04:19 AM

Man if you are 69 and live in IL and have to watch the Chicago Bears doesn't it seem like you have lived forever already?

• LPBolens and sodisr have said thanks

#24 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted September 17, 2016 - 08:30 AM

Man if you are 69 and live in IL and have to watch the Chicago Bears doesn't it seem like you have lived forever already?

As a native New Englander, I would have to watch the Patriots, so I don't care what Da Bearzzzz do or don't do. That way, no additional aging from watching football.

#25 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1920
  • 649 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted September 20, 2016 - 08:55 PM

I'm trying to build a meuseum
  • MailmAn and nglauer have said thanks

#26 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • Member No: 46660
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted September 21, 2016 - 07:47 AM

Yes, I know how that goes myself. Both my grandparents grew up during the depression as well, but especially my dad's father was a bit of a hoarder you could say. He owned a shoe store and tack and harness repair shop for several decades in Victor, NY. When he finally "retired" and sold the store back in the 1980's, he kept EVERYTHING and moved all of his equipment and inventory from his shop into the garage and basement of his house. He also kept all sorts of random stuff that he had accumulated over his whole life. If there was a screw, nut or bolt that was left over from something or that he didn't know what it belonged to, he would save it. He kept all sorts of buttons, snaps, pins, and other fasteners. If he was building something new and had to dismantle something else first, he would save as much as he could from it to reuse on the new project. (For instance, my dad built a new deck on his house many years ago and my grandfather helped with some of the construction. When they were dismantling the old deck and pulling the old boards out from the floor, my grandfather was hammering out all the old nails and trying to hammer them back straight so he could reuse them on the new deck! It drove my father crazy and said he can buy a couple of new boxes of nails at the hardware store. My grandfather would respond with: "What for? These will still work. Don't waste the money buying new nails.") His motto seemed to be "you never know when you might need something or it will come in handy and then you'll already have it."

About 10 or so years ago, well before he ended up in the nursing home, he did finally decide that he didn't really need to keep most of this stuff anymore and began selling it off. He found a few shoe repair shops around that were interested in buying some of his old inventory (most of it you can't even buy anymore it was so old) and some machinery and cleared out his garage before my dad had to deal with selling his house after he moved into the nursing home. He did move a lot of stuff, which made life easier on my dad when he had to clear out the house and get it ready to sell, but there was still a lot of stuff in that house to clear out. My dad tried to be good and let my brother and I take anything that we wanted out of there that we wanted to keep to remember our grandfather by or that had sentimental value from when we were growing up, but otherwise, he tried to sell off as much as he could before throwing everything else out that no one wanted and he had no room or use for. I think I recall my dad saying that he still filled up two full size dumpsters with stuff to take to the landfill after it was all said and done. (A lot of it though was old furniture that you couldn't even give away as it was so old and worn or was in disrepair as well as the old carpets, fixtures, and stuff like that from the house that just needed to be tossed and redone to make the house sellable.)

What you said sums up my property! Only difference was grandpa was a carpenter. I'm still finding stuff i didn't know existed. Yesterday behind a rack of cabinet grade 3/4" birch plywood I found wooden industrial doors. I had no clue they were there behind the birch. I actually found 3 metal residential doors, 3 metal industrial doors, the 3 huge wooden industrial doors, and a bifold door. I've owned the house for a decent number of years, and am still moving stuff and finding things. One day, i may get it cleaned out, or have a yard sale, or at this point.... a continuous flea market lol
  • MailmAn said thank you

#27 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted September 22, 2016 - 10:23 AM

Dane,,,   At 19,, sounds like you got it together....   Congrates.!!

• Dane in PA and MailmAn have said thanks

#28 Dane in PA OFFLINE  

Dane in PA

Dane in PA

• Contributor
  • Member No: 9535
  • 512 Thanks
  • 588 posts

Posted September 22, 2016 - 10:49 AM

Dane,,,   At 19,, sounds like you got it together....   Congrates.!!

I try.  Seems every time I tell people that, they think I'm going to try and kill myself.  

Not many people my age, or even people in general, have enough of their ducks in a row.

• MailmAn said thank you

#29 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted September 22, 2016 - 12:18 PM

I try.  Seems every time I tell people that, they think I'm going to try and kill myself.  

Not many people my age, or even people in general, have enough of their ducks in a row.

Heck, I'm 36 and still don't have any ducks in any sort of order, let alone in a row...

• Dane in PA said thank you

#30 SgtMoonracer OFFLINE  

SgtMoonracer
  • Member No: 74500
  • 20 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted September 22, 2016 - 05:44 PM

I'm 53, and I can't even find my ducks...

• wilberj and MailmAn have said thanks