• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 BRIAN EK7&10 ONLINE  

BRIAN EK7&10
  • Member No: 66742
  • 128 Thanks
  • 50 posts

Posted September 12, 2016 - 08:30 PM

I know that this is not a fun subject, but it needs to be discussed before it's to late. has anyone thought of coming up with a list of contacts of Bolens collectors that our family members could access in the event of our demise to help with the disposition of our collections and to try and ensure that they don't end up as scrap metal. I know that my wife would have no idea of what to do with all of my tractors and spare parts, neither of my children have any interest in them either, I think that without my wife knowing their value to other collectors mine would probably end up being sold at auction to the lowest bidder(junk man) it's not that she would be callous of it she just doesn't have any idea of their value or what to do with them. I don't think that I am the only one with this concern as we all would like the Bolens line to continue for as long as possible. I don't plan on having this issue any time soon but one never knows. I was just thinking that if our families had some one to contact that it would be a big help.
  • fonz3482, Gtractor, Bruce Dorsi and 7 others have said thanks

#2 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,624 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted September 12, 2016 - 08:52 PM

No kids, no wife.  Told the MRS [live-in girlfriend of 22+ years] to call an auctioneer and sell out, wall to wall.

I did tell her not to sell parts and pieces of the collection to my "friends" cause I saw how they pounced on another friends widow a few years back.  They'll want the good stuff well below auction prices before it comes across the auction block.

• Bolens 1000, boyscout862 and Eric have said thanks

#3 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted September 12, 2016 - 08:56 PM

If family is not interested in the value what does it matter if the tractors get sold off on the cheap to folks who will appreciate a great deal on tractors and parts. You could always attach a price tag to every piece you own.  I know there will be no one smiling over my grave. 

• Bolens 1000, boyscout862 and Eric have said thanks

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,299 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted September 12, 2016 - 09:14 PM

Not just Bolens, but all brands.
Re: GT's, My wife would contact a couple local friends and also post here.
I've told kids what stuff should be worth and what the min should be
  • blackjackjakexxix and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,763 posts

Posted September 12, 2016 - 09:35 PM

I know of a couple members on here who have the same concerns,I think there looking at taking care of the of the ones left behind,just because there wife,husband or kids aren't into the hobby as we are doesn't mean we shouldn't look out for them,as we all know there are others out there who will try to take advantage of a bad situation,it may not be a bad idea to take a piece of paper and jot down some numbers to give an idea or ball park what there worth and put it in a safe place,,prices will probably change over the years to come,but at least will give an idea of approx. value,just my thoughts here

Edited by blackjackjakexxix, September 13, 2016 - 07:37 AM.

• Gtractor, LPBolens, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#6 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 988 Thanks
  • 672 posts

Posted September 12, 2016 - 09:59 PM

Told my wife to get the excavator and dig a hole where the barn was and put barn and contents on top of me, fill said hole then plant some daisies! Problem solved. At least in two thousand years the archeologists will be able to see what a strange man I was!
  • Bolens 1000, LPBolens, blackjackjakexxix and 4 others have said thanks

#7 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,221 posts

Posted September 13, 2016 - 04:00 AM

Once I am dead and gone I don't care what happens, I will be dead.  my wife is a sharp tack so no one is getting anything over on her, after all she is the one who complains about the $$ I spend on these things if you think even for a minute she doesn't know exactly how much I have invested then you aint thinking.

Pete

• LPBolens, blackjackjakexxix, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#8 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted September 13, 2016 - 05:27 AM

I'm glad my son loves tractors, but he is only 17mo old! LOL! But if he's anything like his dad, he will continue to enjoy and collect Bolens GT's. For others that aren't so luck, I'm sure that most people here on this forum would be fair and very helpful during a situation like that. So If my son ever changes his mind about tractors, or my wife is left with to deal with them when I'm gone, I'd tell them to join this forum and ask for some help.

• LPBolens, blackjackjakexxix and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#9 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,794 Thanks
  • 7,541 posts

Posted September 13, 2016 - 05:37 AM

I turned 65 yesterday and am well aware that I'm closer to the end than the beginning. My friend is 10 years older and started reducing his stuff a few years ago. No one in his family was interested so he sold off much of his valuable toys at full market prices. Most people wouldn't understand his treasures, like a 19th century whale harpoon. He knew who to sell it to inorder to get a good price.

He has convinced me that it is part of my duty, as a good father, to get as much as I can for the excess stuff that I have now and leave as little troubles for my son when I pass. Leave a few real good ones but the rest should go. I want the Large Frame Bolens and my original Wheelhorse to stay, he'll keep his ACs, MagnaTrac and Ford LGTs. It is difficult but, I am slowly working on it. I've only made a little progress so far but hope that when several projects are done and gone there will be enough room to start really organizing the garage and shop. With more clear floor space, progress should be easier then. Good Luck, Rick

• daytime dave, Gtractor, MH81 and 6 others have said thanks

#10 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 845 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted September 13, 2016 - 06:19 AM

He has convinced me that it is part of my duty, as a good father, to get as much as I can for the excess stuff that I have now and leave as little troubles for my son when I pass.

This is pretty much what my father did, although he didn't have any tractors.  When I asked why he was selling everything he answered "because I'm afraid you won't get enough for it".  Truthfully though one of his great pleasures was haggling over a sale.

Somewhere in the process I managed to get hold of the vise from his work bench.  I learned an awful lot at that bench.  Otherwise, he pretty much left with only the shirt on his back.

• Gtractor, blackjackjakexxix, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#11 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,794 Thanks
  • 7,541 posts

Posted September 13, 2016 - 07:35 AM

This is pretty much what my father did, although he didn't have any tractors.  When I asked why he was selling everything he answered "because I'm afraid you won't get enough for it".  Truthfully though one of his great pleasures was haggling over a sale.

Somewhere in the process I managed to get hold of the vise from his work bench.  I learned an awful lot at that bench.  Otherwise, he pretty much left with only the shirt on his back.

I want to leave him the house and the well equiped garage and shop. If times get as bad as I fear, I want the place to be mostly selfsufficient. GTs are needed for a large garden and harvesting firewood. Good Luck, Rick 

• MH81 and MailmAn have said thanks

#12 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted September 13, 2016 - 07:45 AM

Wife had junk-mans number!  Said that for my Big trucks, then the big MM's and Now the GT's!   Always told her to call some freinds from the tractor lists or shows we go to to come and see and make sure all the right pieces go with the correct tractors when they move out. Who knows if this place will even be here.  She still said not bothering people, has that number! 

• boyscout862 said thank you

#13 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • Member No: 46660
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted September 13, 2016 - 08:48 AM

I actually wish that my dad would sell some of his stuff, as I purchased my grandparents property and have spent the last 3-4 years trying to figure out how to slim down the collection of things here. I literally received a house full of stuff, a garage roughly 38x80 that was packed full, and another metal barn full of stuff. It isn't that the stuff isn't valuable (some of it may be), it's just the idea that I have to deal with all of the non valuable "junk" as well... which the majority of it is just that. My grandfather (dad's side) grew up in the depression and saved everything. If some used cast iron pipe fittings from a job looked like they could be reclaimed... he got them... old nuts/bolts/washer... boy do i got those too lol. You name something obscure... I probably have it. My other grandparents passed last December (mom's side) so we are going through the probate process on their property now as well, and it took nearly 2 years to settle everything on this property when my dads parents passed.

Sure, i'd like a few of the tractors to stay in the family - if my kids, or my brother's future children would like them. Many of them have actual family ties to Dye's Tractor sales - which would have been my Great Grandfathers business back in the day. Other than those few tractors, and some of the wood working tools I now have in my possession, I would be fine clearing out stuff here in droves. I have a feeling clearing out my other grandparents house will be a nightmare, and hopefully an awakening for my parents. I don't want to have to go through the same thing they will be going through when their time comes. 

As for tractor stuff... mine wouldn't be very collectible to many aside from maybe my kids/or future nieces/nephews. I have 3 non running tube frames....1050, 900, 800 or 850? can't remember now....2 large frame... HT20, HT23, a Cub Loboy, Cub Cadet 1641, and a Farmall IH504 row crop. Of those above, only the tube frames, HT20, and Farmall are sentimental (although the Cub Cadet is slightly since it was the only "new" gt my dad ever bought). I could probably part ways with some of them over time, but never the HT20, 1050, or Farmall (yet)

I've kept the tube frames all this time because I thought one day they would be fun to restore with my kids, come November i'll now have 3 kiddos... which means... I could have a 3 person team of tractor pullers lol. 

Nick

• Gtractor, blackjackjakexxix, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#14 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • Member No: 46660
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted September 13, 2016 - 09:01 AM

He has convinced me that it is part of my duty, as a good father, to get as much as I can for the excess stuff that I have now and leave as little troubles for my son when I pass.

I completely agree with this.... as much as I wanted to take on the ownership of all my grandparents stuff... it has been a nightmare. If grandpa had sold some of this things and left some of the sentimental stuff, life would have been much easier. I think I have the hoarding issue he did, as well as my father... which must have passed genetically to me. So it's hard for me to part with stuff... but knowing i'll be helping deal with my other grandparents stuff, plus my parents stuff one day in the future, it's as if reality has finally knocked on my door. Sometimes less = more in the end. 

Nick

• Bolens 1000, Gtractor, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#15 Dane in PA ONLINE  

Dane in PA

Dane in PA

• Contributor
  • Member No: 9535
  • 505 Thanks
  • 586 posts

Posted September 13, 2016 - 03:06 PM

I will preface this by saying that I'm 19 years old.   

I have a safe hidden on my property, full of... valuable items and a lot of precious metals.

One of those items is a Will that I drew up myself.

My baby sister, who is merely 16 months my junior, has instruction to seek out this safe only under the circumstances that some emergency comes about --and to cut it open.

Held within the contents of the safe are names of people, with some contact information and instructions as to who is to acquire what items, and in what time/fashion or how to market and sell others.  

There is also enough stored away in there to pay for a small funeral, and in the Will are instructions that she is to keep the remainder of my investments -the guns, ammo, precious metals, etc...- for herself or her children, to put towards their educations or to pay off her own student loans, pay for a wedding, down payment on a house, etc...

I've seen too much "crap" happen in life, and been to too many funerals of people who made everything way too hard on those surviving them.  I want them to remember me and to heal as quickly and painlessly from my passing, so everything has its order.

Edited by Dane in PA, September 13, 2016 - 03:07 PM.

• Bolens 1000, MH81, blackjackjakexxix and 6 others have said thanks