3 replies to this topic

#1 KBuzz OFFLINE  

KBuzz
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 77146
  • 47 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted September 12, 2016 - 07:16 PM

Well, the addiction is real, and the collection has grown! Now in addition to my 1974 MF14 that I bought back in Oct of 2015 (which I lovingly and appropriately named "Basket Case"), I have added a 197? MF16. My friend Dmax found a listing out in Ohio on craigslist and sent me the link which included a few pics (of course I forgot to save them!). He knew I was in the hunt for a 16 and this is the 1st one either of us have seen nearby in a long time. Now I had a picture in my head of a complete MF16 maybe even with a few add on options, that needed some work. That, however was not the case. This tractor sat out for a while, and started getting stripped to complete another project. The other parts are long gone and it seems that there is no hope that they will ever be seen again. It did however have a factory 3pt hitch and my little "basket case" does not. So it seemed like a good idea to go take a look at this poor guy sitting outside even if it was just for the 3pt hitch. The asking price was $350 and it was about a 2hr drive away. I asked my friend to come along, as I am newly addicted and trust his knowledge and judgement. He agreed to come along, and let me borrow his trailer! Maybe it's just me, but he seemed a little excited! This story could be longer but I'm trying to spare your time and eyes of all the details!

When we arrived, it didn't take long to get to know the owner, and we all got along. We walked over to the tractor and started going over it. My friend Dmax started pointing out things that I'm sure I would have missed. The owner admitted that he wasn't too familiar with Masseys and also had some questions. It didn't take long for him to realize that we were serious about Masseys and that I had all intentions of restoring it, not just parting it out or flipping it for a quick buck. After some discussion we found ourselves all just standing there staring at it. So I said "okay, enough staring at this thing, would you take $200 for it?" He gave it some thought and said he wanted to see it go to someone who would run it again. I said "I'm your guy and I have cash". He smiled, nodded and said "ok, I can do that."

Now like I said, there is a longer story of course. One part of that story that needs to be mentioned is that while my friend and I were talking about this tractor, he asked "if your 14 is Basket Case, what the heck would you call this one?!" I came up with "Massey Fergenstein". He said that was perfect, and that since I named it, I bought it... Well he was right, and I did! Anyhow, I figured I would hit on the main points and see what you guys thought. I am adding some pics and reminding you guys that i got it for $200. I would like to hear your thoughts, especially if you have some parts for me! lol.

Thanks,

Ken 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_16391.jpg
  • IMG_16411.jpg
  • IMG_16401.jpg

Edited by KBuzz, September 12, 2016 - 07:30 PM.

• DMAX, Traill95, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#2 DMAX ONLINE  

DMAX

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 264
  • 182 Thanks
  • 70 posts

Posted September 12, 2016 - 07:53 PM

You already know what I think. I'm glad we went and got it. I know it's not the 16 you had in mind but when it's all said and done you'll be proud of what you did. Like I said you bought a 3 pt and got a "free" tractor with it.
  • boyscout862 and KBuzz have said thanks

#3 case442 OFFLINE  

case442

• Member No: 2504
  • 662 Thanks
  • 404 posts

Posted September 12, 2016 - 08:06 PM

I like that 3 point.

I still have the AMF parts tractor here.

Mike

• DMAX and KBuzz have said thanks

#4 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 343 Thanks
  • 320 posts

Posted September 12, 2016 - 08:16 PM

I would have jumped on that, it would have kept me up late for a while. DON

• KBuzz said thank you