5 replies to this topic

#1 DZG OFFLINE  

DZG
  • Member No: 84305
  • 281 Thanks
  • 266 posts

Posted September 12, 2016 - 06:25 PM

Ok guys...this time its electrical...

I got the thing spinning over, but slowly. So i yanked the battery out of my cub cadet 1042 and put in the GT2050, now i get nothing. Checked/cleaned the ground, looked for broke wires, blown fuses, found nothing.

However, there was a "aftermarket" yellow wire running from the top spade on the igniton switch jammed in next to the orange one, running down to a spade on the solenoid. It was just wrapped around the spade.

So i removed the yellow wire, and rehooked the orange wire to where i believe is its proper location on the solenoid. Still nothing.

I cant figure it out, all i did was change the frickin battery!?

Input??

#2 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted September 12, 2016 - 06:38 PM

Run a jumper wire from the + battery to the small post on the solenoid.  You should get the engine turning.  If not, need to check the wires again, especially the battery terminals, solenoid contacts and starter wire.  Next would be to use a jumper cable to jump from the + on the battery to the starter terminal.  It that gets nothing you have a ground problem or a bad starter.  Good luck.

#3 DZG OFFLINE  

DZG
  • 281 Thanks
  • 266 posts

Posted September 12, 2016 - 06:55 PM

I did try to use jumpers from the postitive terminal to the hot on the starter, i got nothing. Although i did have the jumpers grounded to the neg side on the battery...

The starter was turning ok with the old battery with jumpers hooked to another battery

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted September 12, 2016 - 07:37 PM

Sounds like one of 3 possibilities.  Bad connection, bad starter, or bad battery.  Can you turn the motor by hand?  Screwdriver on the flywheels gear?  Turning the drive shaft? Etc?  Try rocking it both directions to be sure the engine is free.  Process of elimination, make sure the motor is free.  Remove the plugs and turn by hand a full revolution.

#5 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted September 12, 2016 - 08:52 PM

The electrical path from the + batt post to the starter post is only 50%. The other 50% is from the starter frame thru the engine block and the ground cable back to the - batt post. The ground path can take a circuitous route back to the batt so check that path carefully.

Mike

• DZG said thank you

#6 DZG OFFLINE  

DZG
  • 281 Thanks
  • 266 posts

Posted September 13, 2016 - 02:54 AM

Sounds like one of 3 possibilities. Bad connection, bad starter, or bad battery. Can you turn the motor by hand? Screwdriver on the flywheels gear? Turning the drive shaft? Etc? Try rocking it both directions to be sure the engine is free. Process of elimination, make sure the motor is free. Remove the plugs and turn by hand a full revolution.

Motor spins free, ive already been down that route. I had it spinning with jumper cables hooked to my 1042 before i removed the battery and put the one for the 1042 on it, thinking maybe the voltage drop was to much to get a good spin thru the cables, then nothing.

I wont have time tonight, but tomorrow ill piss with it some more.

Mayhe ill yank the starter and bench test it, but it was fine....

Its just weird it acts like battery isnt even connected
  • chieffan said thank you