• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Berry OFFLINE  

Berry

• Member No: 3616
  • 0 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted May 24, 2011 - 06:54 PM

Hello and this is my first time posting and new to the site. I have a Toro WH 266H Garden Tractor. My normal procedure for starting is choke and full throttle. As it starts to warm shut the choke down and all is well. The problem now is she will start normally but within seconds the power will decrease. If I start to engage the choke again and mess with the throttle she acts like she wants to run but will eventually shut down. This all happened about a week ago when I mowed the back forty for about 2 hours brought it up to pull it into my shed and I shut her down to cool off a little. Went to start it about hour later and had the symptoms that I described in the beginning.
Thanks for your help and suggestions in advance!

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted May 24, 2011 - 07:01 PM

Put on an inline spark tester. When she begins to die, watch to see if there is still spark. Could be an ignition coil, or module going bad. If there is still spark, it's likely in the fuel system. But first, check for the spark.

#3 Berry OFFLINE  

Berry

• 0 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted May 24, 2011 - 07:14 PM

Put on an inline spark tester. When she begins to die, watch to see if there is still spark. Could be an ignition coil, or module going bad. If there is still spark, it's likely in the fuel system. But first, check for the spark.

Thanks I will try that. I had new coils put on a couple of years ago but nothing last forever. What module are you referring to?

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted May 24, 2011 - 07:17 PM

Thanks I will try that. I had new coils put on a couple of years ago but nothing last forever. What module are you referring to?

Not knowing the model engine, I added module. Some have pickup modules, while other coils run off the flywheel magnets. If yours coils run on the flywheel magnets, there is no other module.

#5 Berry OFFLINE  

Berry

• 0 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted May 24, 2011 - 07:45 PM

Not knowing the model engine, I added module. Some have pickup modules, while other coils run off the flywheel magnets. If yours coils run on the flywheel magnets, there is no other module.

I have the Kohler 17HP Twin Cylinder-Not exactly sure on the model # at this moment-can always look later if that would help determine what is happening. Could it be as simple as the gas cap not being vented?

#6 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted May 24, 2011 - 08:14 PM

...Could it be as simple as the gas cap not being vented?

That's always a possibility, although not likely here. It's easy enough to check. Take the gas cap off and then put it back on. Start it up and see what happens. If it's the gas cap, it'll probably run pretty good for a while (several minutes) then start to die out. Opening the cap again will fix the problem if that's what it is. I'm with Dan on this one though. Check the coils with an inline checker and go from there.

Oh, and BTW :wave: Berry Welcome to GTTalk!

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted May 24, 2011 - 08:25 PM

:welcome: to GTTalk!

When did you last fill up the tank? If you filled it up when you got back from mowing or shortly before, and the spark checks out OK, I would pull a sample out of the tank after stirring or shaking and let it settle out in a small glass container with a lid. Let it sit still and quiet for a day and look for striations or settled water.

You may have dirt in the float, water in the bowl, tank screen plugged, gummed up ports in the carb, bad fuel pump (if it has one), etc. That's why I'd check for water, then work on from there.

#8 Berry OFFLINE  

Berry

• 0 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted May 25, 2011 - 12:48 PM

Thanks to all for responding to my question about my garden tractor stalling out after starting. I will check out what I can and get back to you later.:usa:

#9 MikesRJ OFFLINE  

MikesRJ

One of the 1st 500!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 462
  • 70 Thanks
  • 118 posts

Posted May 25, 2011 - 07:33 PM

The original engine on your model is :

CV16S-61514

Owners Manual: http://www.mywheelho...2-590-01_OM.pdf
Service Manual: http://www.mywheelho...P-2339-D_SM.pdf

Edited by MikesRJ, May 25, 2011 - 08:05 PM.

#10 Berry OFFLINE  

Berry

• 0 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted May 25, 2011 - 09:23 PM

The original engine on your model is :

CV16S-61514

Owners Manual: http://www.mywheelho...2-590-01_OM.pdf
Service Manual: http://www.mywheelho...P-2339-D_SM.pdf

Thanks and really appreciate you forwarding these 2 links. For future reference if I need parts do you have any suggestions?:yelclap:

#11 Berry OFFLINE  

Berry

• 0 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted May 26, 2011 - 12:44 PM

:welcome: to GTTalk!

When did you last fill up the tank? If you filled it up when you got back from mowing or shortly before, and the spark checks out OK, I would pull a sample out of the tank after stirring or shaking and let it settle out in a small glass container with a lid. Let it sit still and quiet for a day and look for striations or settled water.

You may have dirt in the float, water in the bowl, tank screen plugged, gummed up ports in the carb, bad fuel pump (if it has one), etc. That's why I'd check for water, then work on from there.

Wanted to give you guys the update on what I did to my 266H and what I am encountering now. I took off the front of the carb, and the bowl. Cleaned everything out really well including electrical. I can now keep it running if I have the choke in the upper position or almost half way, but as soon as I pull it down she dies out.

#12 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted May 26, 2011 - 03:20 PM

That just screams not enough fuel to me! You may have to completely tear the carb down and clean it thoroughly. Get a rebuild kit and take it all the way down including the welch plugs.

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted May 26, 2011 - 03:34 PM

if you can get it running, you can sometimes clear blockage by putting your hand over the air intake while it's running. kind of like a super choke. I would put in some seafoam or gumout and let that work thru for a minute or 2. Then try it.

#14 Berry OFFLINE  

Berry

• 0 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted May 26, 2011 - 03:44 PM

if you can get it running, you can sometimes clear blockage by putting your hand over the air intake while it's running. kind of like a super choke. I would put in some seafoam or gumout and let that work thru for a minute or 2. Then try it.

Thanks for the info-Are you indicating to add Gumout/Seafoam to the gas and let it run before tearing the carb all the way off?

#15 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted May 26, 2011 - 04:08 PM

It is worth a shot. Let it run for a few minutes, thenblock off the air intake. I use my palm, but anything that will seal to the intake of the carb will work. The suction from the running engine has been known to dislodge the problem, especially if it's already been worked on by something else (gumout, seafoam, etc).