28 replies to this topic

#1 DMAX ONLINE  

DMAX

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 264
  • 182 Thanks
  • 70 posts

Posted September 11, 2016 - 09:15 PM

I know a guy who's thinking of selling his Cub Cadet 782D. I'm not familiar with Cubs and have no idea what it's worth. The hours are unknown, back of the gauge is completely broke out. The paint is original and shines up very nice with a couple scrathes here and there. He's had it for about 12 years and recently moved to a place with a yard that's too small for this tractor. New parts include rear tires and a front pto. It runs great except after about an hour it loses power and if you let it sit and cool down it'll run find again. He will have it fixed before he sells it. The previous owner but a battery box/hitch on the back. It could us a little love here and there but all in all its really nice. I'm very interested in it, I think the red ones are rare? Thank you for any help.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.png
  • image.png
  • image.png

Edited by DMAX, September 11, 2016 - 09:18 PM.

• daytime dave, WrenchinOnIt and KBuzz have said thanks

#2 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 987 Thanks
  • 672 posts

Posted September 11, 2016 - 09:36 PM

They are not rare, not as common but not rare. They go for 800-1200 here and are fairly easy to find. The 982 is a bit harder to find and can add a few hundred more. Opinions may vary by location but if you want it make an offer your comfortable with and hope he takes it.
  • DMAX said thank you

#3 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,392 Thanks
  • 1,528 posts

Posted September 11, 2016 - 10:13 PM

They are not rare, not as common but not rare. They go for 800-1200 here and are fairly easy to find. The 982 is a bit harder to find and can add a few hundred more. Opinions may vary by location but if you want it make an offer your comfortable with and hope he takes it.

Up here a Diesel like this would be at the upper end of that, maybe a bit more, last Gas(different than the one in the OP) 782 I watched sell brought around 650-700, I've never seen a 782D(diesel) in person.

• DMAX said thank you

#4 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • 987 Thanks
  • 672 posts

Posted September 11, 2016 - 10:31 PM

Two have been sold here in the last month or so that I have been aware of. A 982 with no engine also sold for 250. Not sure if the only difference is the motor but it started life as a diesel. Harvester tractors are abundant here, in fact my father worked for them in Illinois for a while long ago. He used to be so proud to show me his wire rope steps on all the old dozer and such, he holds the patent on those and quite a few other parts. I digress, red tractors are found in this neck of the woods with ease any how.
  • adamjd200 said thank you

#5 aagitch OFFLINE  

aagitch
  • Member No: 81045
  • 105 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted September 11, 2016 - 11:19 PM

If the guy fixes which I think is maybe a fuel problem, it should bring 1500 in such nice condition around my area

Edited by aagitch, September 11, 2016 - 11:19 PM.

• DMAX said thank you

#6 zippy1 OFFLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 50881
  • 610 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted September 11, 2016 - 11:28 PM

Two have been sold here in the last month or so that I have been aware of. A 982 with no engine also sold for 250. Not sure if the only difference is the motor but it started life as a diesel. Harvester tractors are abundant here, in fact my father worked for them in Illinois for a while long ago. He used to be so proud to show me his wire rope steps on all the old dozer and such, he holds the patent on those and quite a few other parts. I digress, red tractors are found in this neck of the woods with ease any how.

Where in "these parts"? I can count them I've seen on one hand with fingers left over...

Next time you see them come up as often as you do, send me a PM, and I'll be on it...

• WrenchinOnIt, adamjd200, KBuzz and 1 other said thanks

#7 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,392 Thanks
  • 1,528 posts

Posted September 11, 2016 - 11:30 PM

This whole thing goes back to different areas=different prices, I see a lot of older(yellow) Cubs around here for sale but the red ones I don't see come up that much, IH tractors are in abundance here though as this is very much farm country here.  They made a 782D(diesel) and a 782 which used a KT17 Kohler(my dad has one that's used a lot, has a KT17 series2 in it).

#8 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • 987 Thanks
  • 672 posts

Posted September 12, 2016 - 01:10 AM

Zippy, if your just talking craigslist then it would be one but word of mouth is king up here and most of the good Ole boys don't even use computers. If your in the market for one I will pm you if one comes up. It being the end of g he season is bringing them out of the woodwork right now because people want to clean up their garage before winter.
  • zippy1 said thank you

#9 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted September 12, 2016 - 03:08 PM

Just for curiosity sake what model there are you saying started life as a diesel?

#10 Oak OFFLINE  

Oak

• Member No: 5131
  • 7 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted September 12, 2016 - 03:32 PM

That looks pretty nice. I would say $1500 also. It has the wrong side panels and the first thing I would do is tear that battery box off the back and put a regular GT battery under the hood.

• DMAX, zippy1 and aagitch have said thanks

#11 aagitch OFFLINE  

aagitch
  • 105 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted September 12, 2016 - 04:21 PM

I'd get rid of the jerry rigged battery setup also and put it back to stock.  Just put in the new set of glow plugs, relay upgrade, and upgraded starter.  It can all be done for under 100.00 if you get an upgraded starter from fleebay.  It'll start easy after that.

• DMAX and KBuzz have said thanks

#12 DMAX ONLINE  

DMAX

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 182 Thanks
  • 70 posts

Posted September 12, 2016 - 04:31 PM

Thanks everyone for the advice. I think its a great tractor. Unfortunately the battery was dead and I didn't get to drive it around. But he's put a new one in and is only 10 minutes away so I'll be sure to head back over.

Oak, you say the side panels are wrong? Is it the slots that is incorrect? I tried to compare it to pics online and didn't see a difference.

aagitch, it starts ok but definitely could use the upgrades you stated. Do you think the elec fuel pump could be causing it to lose power and stumble? He says it does it after about an hour of running and if it sits and cools then it's fine again.
  • KBuzz said thank you

#13 DMAX ONLINE  

DMAX

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 182 Thanks
  • 70 posts

Posted September 12, 2016 - 04:36 PM

Here's a pic from the other side.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

• zippy1 and KBuzz have said thanks

#14 aagitch OFFLINE  

aagitch
  • 105 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted September 12, 2016 - 07:17 PM

he says after it cools down. So is it over heating? What's the temp gauge read when it loses power? If the actual temp is ok, i think there's gunk in the tank and fuel lines. There's a little screen inside the bottom of the tank that is great at collecting gunk and clogging after about half hour or so of running. It'll cause it to starve itself of fuel and lose power etc... Clean the tank including screen, replace the fuel lines and bleed the system. The fuel system on these needs cleaned out every few years. Also use a diesel fuel treatment that prevents gelling.
  • DMAX, WrenchinOnIt and KBuzz have said thanks

#15 DMAX ONLINE  

DMAX

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 182 Thanks
  • 70 posts

Posted September 12, 2016 - 07:33 PM

A lot of good advice aagitch. I'll ask him about the temp gauge and if he's ever used any sort of fuel treatment. I really think you onto something there with the fuel lines and screen. Thank you!
  • KBuzz and aagitch have said thanks