• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MaeWee OFFLINE  

MaeWee
  • Member No: 84604
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted September 11, 2016 - 07:24 PM

HAPPY TO REPORT IT CAN'T GET ANY EASIER TO FIX THAN TO PUT THE CAP BACK ON THE SPARK PLUG!! THANK YOU ALL FOR HELP AND INPUT.

Can anyone help with why my 1991 MW Lawn Tractor won't re-start after the deck bumped into a tree root? Was mowing, saw tree root too late and the right front side of deck bumped in tree root, I immediately applied the brake and disengaged the blade then the motor stalled and won't re-start. The engine WILL turn over but just won't start. I did check the belt thinking maybe it got bumped off of a pulley from the impact. The belt does seem to be tighter than normal, shouldn't there be some play in the tension or, should it be quite tight? I'm hoping it's a simple repair so I don't have to send it in for service.

Edited by MaeWee, September 12, 2016 - 05:07 PM.

#2 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted September 11, 2016 - 07:31 PM

Welcome to the forum. I'd say the first thing we are going to need to know is exactly what tractor you have. Wards didn't make their own tractors. Can you find a model and serial number? Maybe a few pics of the tractor. 

#3 dthomp17 OFFLINE  

dthomp17

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2987
  • 494 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted September 11, 2016 - 08:38 PM

Probably a safety switch somewhere that got knocked out of alignment. Does the engine try to fire at all when you turn the starter?

#4 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted September 11, 2016 - 09:39 PM

Welcome to GTT. You need to troubleshoot the problem. Determine which engine brand you have and then download the repairmans' manual from our Manuals Section. It will tell you how to test the system to identify the problem. Off the top of my head, I sugguest that you check the oil and the gas. Then look for loose wires. Check for ignition spark and go from there about safety switches. I've often seen that when a blade hits an obsticle it can cause the flywheel to shear its alignment key and lose spark. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, September 11, 2016 - 09:44 PM.

#5 MaeWee OFFLINE  

MaeWee
  • Member No: 84604
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted September 12, 2016 - 05:19 PM

If Wards didn't make their own tractors, then how come it says "Montgomery Ward" on hood of tractor, it's printed on the Owners Manual and we actually purchased it at a MW store? I know the engine is Briggs & Stratten, but why can't the body actually be a MW? The model # is: TMO-33952A by the way.

Welcome to the forum. I'd say the first thing we are going to need to know is exactly what tractor you have. Wards didn't make their own tractors. Can you find a model and serial number? Maybe a few pics of the tractor. 

#6 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,757 Thanks
  • 8,927 posts

Posted September 13, 2016 - 07:15 PM

As DougT pointed out, MW contracted other manufacturers to build lawn mowers for them. So did Massey Ferguson. And Deutz. Snapper. Allis. Homelite. Ford. New Holland. And in the slightly bigger SCUT class, Bolens and John Deere. In other words, everyone. Well, maybe not. I've never heard of a Kubota made by someone else.

#7 Sprint 6 OFFLINE  

Sprint 6
  • Member No: 30633
  • 164 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted September 14, 2016 - 06:07 PM

If Wards didn't make their own tractors, then how come it says "Montgomery Ward" on hood of tractor, it's printed on the Owners Manual and we actually purchased it at a MW store? I know the engine is Briggs & Stratten, but why can't the body actually be a MW? The model # is: TMO-33952A by the way.

In 1974, my Grandpa bought a Montgomery Ward 16 garden tractor at a Montgomery Ward store and it has Montgomery Ward printed on the owners manual, parts list, and warranty papers.  But guess what?  It was built by a company called Gilson Brothers, not Montgomery Ward.  You came to a garden tractor site for help, then tell people they are wrong when they try to help.  There are a lot of knowledgeable people here, but they need to know what you have.  By 1991, Wards equipment is likely built by MTD or AYP.  If you look, you can probably find a tractor that looks just like yours, except with Yard Man, Huskee, or Poulan on the hood.