• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 DZG OFFLINE  

DZG
  • Member No: 84305
  • 281 Thanks
  • 266 posts

Posted September 11, 2016 - 06:17 PM

Since i found this site, its breathed new life into my need for classic GTs.

However, coming to realize most my junk is well...junk. Ive been thinking about offing everything ive acquired over the last 12 years or so, and believe me, theres quite a bit.

So my question is, off the various "projects", parts, and other assorted stuff and buy an actual, running, nice old GT (i really miss my 149 cub), or keep what i got and slowly piece it all togther?

Unfourtantly, doing both isnt really an option,i live in town with almost 0 storage space (my wife was pretty pissed when i brought home my latest acqusition), so everything is at my dads place, and he doesnt want anymore out there, so thats kinda that...

Plus, i dont have alot of time.

But part of me loves the idea of bringing stuff back from the dead, and jf i bought a complete running tractor it would feel like cheating...

Sorry for the dumb post, but its been buggin me...

Input/adcice?
  • Gtractor, boyscout862, WNYTractorTinkerer and 1 other said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted September 11, 2016 - 06:20 PM

I'm not the one to ask! I have plenty of derelicts loafing about!

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted September 11, 2016 - 06:35 PM

How about only having one complete wreck that has real possibilities of being something important when you are done. When I say complete,I mean something you have a good chance of having all the parts for, even if it is an unusual tractor.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#4 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,666 posts

Posted September 11, 2016 - 06:50 PM

Get a list of the relics du' patinae you have together and post it up in this thread..  

It would help folks who know these things give you better advice.. 

JMO   :wave:

#5 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted September 11, 2016 - 06:50 PM

If I had limited space I would sell off the "junk" and buy one nice gt to work with.

I'd rather have one nice runner and worker than 4 that aren't useful
  • boyscout862 and MiCarl have said thanks

#6 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted September 11, 2016 - 06:54 PM

I don't have a lot of "junk" laying around, and what I do have usually gets hauled off. I have found my current limit is five GT's, 4 running, and one being restored. This limit is due to storage space, and funds. Once I finish the current restore "Little John" RED will need to go under the knife for a steering overhaul and another Winter Refresh. Hulk II is waiting patiently for his steering and clutch upgrades. Keeping up with 5 financially can be taxing.  

#7 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 881 Thanks
  • 493 posts

Posted September 11, 2016 - 07:15 PM

If I had limited space I would sell off the "junk" and buy one nice gt to work with.

I'd rather have one nice runner and worker than 4 that aren't useful

I agree.

I too have limited space and time.  I bought a runner that just needed a couple tweaks.  Fixed it up in an afternoon and now I just use it.

#8 DZG OFFLINE  

DZG
  • Member No: 84305
  • 281 Thanks
  • 266 posts

Posted September 11, 2016 - 07:18 PM

Right now i have 7 that do not run.

1 thats runs and mows that i use at the house to push or pull stuff around, but it has a cracked block.

Then i have 1 that i use for my mowing business.

Of the 7 that dont run...

70s yardman 11/4 (sentimental and complete, its staying)

Ford LT8 (complete, needs motor)

3 bolens tube frames (2 G9s and a G10, enough hetween the 3 to make one good one)

2185 cub cadet (needs motor work)

MTD 2050 GT (not sure what it needs yet, but complete)

I also have a yardman snobird (circa 76) snowblower that needs god knows what, but its complete.

Also a couple old pressure washers, and push mowers.

I have probaly 10-15 various engines, mostly briggs, one 20hp command v twin and an old wisconsin horizontal.

Oh, and some old plow that i have no clue what its to.

And this is just what i can think of off the top of my head.

Along with a 77 LTD II and an 87 ranger id like to get going one day.

So yeah...maybe im a hoarder.

But either way, im really at a crossroads with it all lol

#9 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,546 posts

Posted September 11, 2016 - 07:20 PM

Look at it as a quest to achieve the best GT for you. I've pickedup many tractors over the years and am slowly fixing them up. I've learned that I like hydrostatic that is foot controlled. I like the hydralic lift. My large frame Bolens are workers but the AC Big Ten is just more fun to operate when mowing. Some tractors were not made for people 6 foot or more tall(my JD210 and MTD 860). Some are poorly engineered and some are great. I have dozens of GTs with the best destined to being fixed up and the rest for parts. The ones I like I will keep and the rest must go. The attachments add another dimension to this. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, September 11, 2016 - 07:21 PM.

#10 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,631 Thanks
  • 3,922 posts

Posted September 11, 2016 - 07:52 PM

Not a simple problem - but doo-able.

Move to where you have more room.  Give the wife the option of making the move too - with the understanding that you have a hobby and things that you enjoy doing in your spare time that she may or may not approve of.

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#11 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 1,002 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted September 11, 2016 - 07:55 PM

I found out by losing everything that when I keep only a few projects around I can actually make progress on them and finish them. When you have to many irons in the fire it seems that it is hard to get any of them worked on, it is just overwhelming and you don't even realize it.

#12 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted September 11, 2016 - 08:49 PM

I found out by losing everything that when I keep only a few projects around I can actually make progress on them and finish them. When you have to many irons in the fire it seems that it is hard to get any of them worked on, it is just overwhelming and you don't even realize it.

I agree. Too many projects at once is tough to manage.

DZG, pick a couple that you really like or can use and sell and pick parts from the others to finish them.

I presume Gtractor's solution was facetious. If not, that sounds like a good way to get rid of all of your projects in the divorce hearings.
  • Gtractor, WNYTractorTinkerer and oldedeeres have said thanks

#13 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,631 Thanks
  • 3,922 posts

Posted September 11, 2016 - 11:19 PM

I presume Gtractor's solution was facetious. If not, that sounds like a good way to get rid of all of your projects in the divorce hearings.

Nope.   Just a first hand personal experience. 

Edited by Gtractor, September 11, 2016 - 11:23 PM.

#14 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 352 Thanks
  • 328 posts

Posted September 12, 2016 - 02:10 AM

Pick one you like best and start working on it. Until you get that one finished call the others parts or trading material. If you can trade for parts to promote your chosen tractor or sell the others to help finance the other tractor do it. You have to pick your battles and make sure they are won before proceeding to the next one. My wife got a little testy when I brought home my forth and fifth metal laths. My wife has learned to accept my garden tractors. She is my third.  Don

#15 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,666 posts

Posted September 12, 2016 - 04:11 AM

A few ideas for ya IMO-->  Don't shoot me guys!

First off the 2185 would be the first to go in my book.  It's a recent MTD product and may be worth something for the tranny and tires/deck..  Fix the motor if you can but they don't fetch a lot of $$ in my area anyway..

Next up would be (Speaking of MTD..  the 2050..   Yes, they are a nice machine but a lower value machine aka- stamped metal frame....

The snowblower..  If it don't work, there are a lot of them I see abandoned on the side of the road free for the taking..  Buh bye..

Pressure washers..  The pumps are the usual culprit followed up by dirty fuel systems.  pretty easy to fix but I see lots of them running for ~$50 on CL.  A $70 pump and your in business..  Buh bye to one of them..  

FORD LT8..  Another lower end light GT in my book..  See ya...

The engines-  If they are smaller HP with holes in the blocks--->  out!  The Wisconsin would stay in my wife's parking spot in the garage!  Larger twins or common engines would be keepers for future acquisitions..  (Like you won't pick up another machine!)   :spamani:

The plow?  It's your call..  Post up a picture in the forum here so someone may know what it fits..  Go from there..

The 77 LTDII?  As an old Ford owner I'm kinda biased..  If it looks like this:

ltd.jpg

KEEP IT!

Lots of $$$$ can be eaten up working on these..  The big ? is how bad is it?  

The Lone Ranger-  Another how bad is it and can I afford to fix it?  If not, offer it up to some like minded individual..

Just a few suggestions and personal feelings from a guy who has whittled his mower collection down to just one of everything but it all works!

Good Luck with the wife when she sees the Wisconsin!! :D

• toomanytoys84 and DZG have said thanks