• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,886 Thanks
  • 2,506 posts

Posted October 23, 2016 - 01:55 PM

Well it's been longer than I had hoped since I buried it, finally got out there today started it up and pulled right out like it was on flat dry ground. It left some pretty good ruts in the barn where it was sitting and even bigger ones a little ways away where I buried it the 1st time while trying to get the camper out.
I saw something else out there today that pissed me off --mice running around in there i topped off the bait box while there.
  • KennyP said thank you

#17 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 34,266 Thanks
  • 43,390 posts

Posted October 23, 2016 - 04:30 PM

Get some 'Tom Cat' bait! That stuff works!

• dodge trucker said thank you

#18 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 9,469 Thanks
  • 5,264 posts

Posted October 23, 2016 - 05:52 PM

No pictures !!!!!

Hope fully tomorrow is a better day for you.

Noel

:say_what:  :urock:  :iagree:  :iagree:  :iagree:

• propane1 said thank you

#19 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,886 Thanks
  • 2,506 posts

Posted October 23, 2016 - 09:40 PM

Get some 'Tom Cat' bait! That stuff works!

yeah that is what I bought. I put the bait boxes out there a couple of months ago, opened them up and about half of the cakes looked deteriorated, IDK if it is from moisture exposure or if they have been chewing on it. I have 1 box each in the barn and the corn crib. I filled them again and I tossed a few errant chunks around inside the barn besides what is in the boxes. the guy that lives there doesnt have any pets so hopefully no neighbors' pets wind up sneaking in, and snacking on them.

• KennyP said thank you

#20 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,577 Thanks
  • 4,712 posts

Posted October 24, 2016 - 05:09 AM

Some of the mice that we had over the years were picky eaters. I tried several brands til I found what they like.
  • dodge trucker said thank you

#21 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 34,266 Thanks
  • 43,390 posts

Posted October 24, 2016 - 05:17 AM

My garage was full of them because Aaron has the dog food in there. I put the 'Tom Cat' in there and have seen a live one since.

• shorty and dodge trucker have said thanks

#22 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,886 Thanks
  • 2,506 posts

Posted October 24, 2016 - 06:12 AM

hopefully the bait is somewhere that the dog(s) can't access it

Here at home I had mice in my attached garage for the 1st time in 18 years of living here. I would rather trap them here so I can see them to get rid of them, if I poison them and they run off someplace else, I won't see them to be able to get rid of, and that will be a smelly mess-- dead mice rotting away.

#23 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 552 Thanks
  • 488 posts

Posted October 24, 2016 - 09:05 AM

Don't forget...when you poison them, another animal could eat the mice and get poisoned as well (cat, hawk, etc.).  I prefer snap traps.  They are quick and humane.  You also get the carcass, as DT commented. 

I used to use poison a long time ago.  I found that squirrels love that stuff.  It apparently doesn't hurt squirrels. 

BTW...Tootsie Rolls work well as bait in the snap traps.  Just use them when it's not too hot so they don't melt.  Those with children should be getting plenty of Tootsie Rolls here in the next week.  Trick or treat!  :D

• dodge trucker and propane1 have said thanks

#24 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,886 Thanks
  • 2,506 posts

Posted October 24, 2016 - 04:59 PM

well/ being that the barn in which I store my stuff in is ~30 miles away I do not think I could set enough snap traps to last between trips out to the barn, at home where I am every day it is different.  so out there, poison gets the nod.

I have thought about cats, dogs and such, the property owner that owns the barn does not have any. 

but, just in case a neighbor's animal wanders over there, the poison in the corn crib is in a bait box that they can't fit into, both ends of that are wide open...... no GTs out there but my camper is.  It is about equal to parking one under a carport. 

• KennyP said thank you