• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted September 11, 2016 - 04:40 PM

I got a pair of 23/10.5-12 "HI RUN" V bar tires from a neighbor during the week, and knowing that I have several machines with dry rotted sidewalls that won't hold air, that is a big help. Or so I thought

As a side note I remember when he brought them to me to mount on a set of old 5 lug Roper wheels those were a major pain in the ass as they are quite stiff even though they're only 2 ply rated. He barely used them they are almost new.

I put them onto the S14 and tried to pull my pop-up out of a muddy barn and instantly buried it. I was 30 miles away and all I could find was a 100' extension cord. I hooked up my 2wd Dakota outside on better ground (still not solid) and wrapped up the cord about 5 times from my hitch ball and around the front axle of the NH, and nearly did the same thing to the truck....

I went to back the Dakota up into the corn crib to unload some other things and my wife insisted that she do it. Well she wound up buying the Dakota instead of me, wound up calling my son with a 4wd power wagon, the Dakota was easy to get out so then we went for the tractor. I threw the 4 layers of cord around the ball on his truck and wound up tearing through the cord in 4 spots, tractor was still stuck in mud

So out came the log chain and then the tractor came right out. We then got the camper with the chain wrapped around the tongue and it came right out of the barn where we could get to it to set it onto the ball. I then backed the NH back in ,sure to miss my original ruts (which I did) and got back to about the middle of where the camper had been, and buried the NH again. So now it will sit til it dries up, we have had 4-1/2" of rain Thu and Fri and it is now Sunday. I wanted to go get it yesterday but I am sure it would have been even soggier.

Edited by dodge trucker, September 11, 2016 - 04:42 PM.

• Gtractor, KennyP, Cvans and 1 other said thanks

#2 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted September 11, 2016 - 05:04 PM

Sounds like you had a rough day!

Don't waste your money on a lottery ticket today!

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#3 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,110 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted September 11, 2016 - 05:15 PM

No pictures !!!!!

Hope fully tomorrow is a better day for you.

Noel

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted September 11, 2016 - 05:21 PM

That must have been real gooey!

• dodge trucker said thank you

#5 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,564 Thanks
  • 3,942 posts

Posted September 11, 2016 - 06:08 PM

I remember burying my dad's S-14 when I was young. For some reason he wasn't too happy with me. They are a heavy tractor to get out.
  • dodge trucker and Gillis.jim have said thanks

#6 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,301 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted September 11, 2016 - 06:49 PM

Noticed with the NH S12 and Ariens S14 I had here for repairs,that the tires seem to spin pretty easily.

Might have something to do with how far back the axle is on the frame.There what 1 inch from the hitch plate? That puts most of the weight on the front axle.The S14 I had here has a big heavy 50" Fabricated deck and if you turned the wheel more than 1/2 way and tried to back up it would sit and spin the tires even on level ground.

That deck is HEAVY to.At-least 150-200lbs anyway.Had to remove so I could get up under it and track down a bad wire.

Front tires were the ones with the flat zig zag tread like ya see on some older golf carts.

My Sears SS15 does the same thing but not nearly as bad.It has a big old 15hp cast iron briggs hanging over the front axle that I'm pretty sure weighs more than the transaxle does.

I bet the Ariens and New Holland tractors are unstoppable if ya hang a couple hundred pounds on the hitch plate and load the tires.

#7 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,739 Thanks
  • 8,913 posts

Posted September 11, 2016 - 07:31 PM

I remember burying my dad's S-14 when I was young. For some reason he wasn't too happy with me.

Don't jump to any conclusions, his displeasure with you could of been for nearly anything.

• Gtractor and shorty have said thanks

#8 Gillis.jim OFFLINE  

Gillis.jim
  • Member No: 79834
  • 215 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted September 11, 2016 - 07:55 PM

I just loaded the tires on my s-16, got some wheel weights and have a big weight box on the three point hitch.

She was unstoppable in the snow last year with the plow blade, and that was without wheel weights and the loaded tires.

Since the winter I've added over 260 lbs by loading the tires and adding wheel weights. I have also gotten more weights for the weight box.

Actually looking forward to snow this winter :0
  • EricFromPa and shorty have said thanks

#9 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted September 11, 2016 - 07:56 PM

That must have been real gooey!

yeah... it was,

I got the property owner's CC 1200 and 1250 out and we mowed about half of it, which we had planned on doing anyways, me on the 1200 and my wife on the 1250. I used the last of my gas that I brought with to top off the 1250 and away we went. We had finished out what we had figured on mowing, and then when she got the truck stuck and we called our kid with the 4X4, we just continued mowing knowing it would take him a while to get there, I nearly ran the 1200 out of gas so I drained my 129 that is also stored there to feed the 1200......  cant believe how well 12HP plows thru tough tall grass as opposed to some of todays with smaller decks that claim to have close to 2X that HP..... that NH has a fresh 12HP Kohler Magnum on it-- new rod, overbore, piston/rings, valves with about 10-12 hours on that engine since I did all that to it.....even though the original engine was a K321(14HP) which I still have.  Being only a week since it was last mowed it wasn't as bad as last time but yet alot heavier than I expected for having only been a week gone by.

there were only a couple of spots within the yard that I thought we'd have issue with while mowing, being soggy.... that wound up not being a problem.

Once we got the Dakota unstuck in the middle of the yard (even the front wheels had started to sink as it sat there waiting for a tug) I took the NH over there to mow that area now that there wasn't a truck sitting there and I was surprised the mud that stayed within the cleats, it didn't seem to throw any of it off,  even when I gave the hydro lever "full tilt" out in the middle of the high ground.  The camper wheels didn't seem to sink once we got it free of the ruts that it had created by its own weight of having sat there, in that same spot for 14 months// so I thought that as long as I stayed to the side of where I'd buried the tractor the 1st time that I could get past the wettest spot.  nope.   I have been out there in past years after even more rain than we have had recently and it seemed that this particular barn used to have powder dry ground even when the rest of the yard around it was soggy......not any more i guess. the ground within that barn, was the wettest on the whole property today. (it needs to be opened up on both ends for a couple days so the breeze can help dry it out) 

We went out there to mow last weekend and were gonna get the camper out then (it was dry in there then) but had some place to be so we ran ourselves out of time..... so we mowed and left.  the thought last weekend was to get it out of that barn and at least get it over to the corn crib on the other side of the yard as it at least has a concrete floor.... with what we had today I wish I'd have gotten the camper moved then. 

Like my tractors and my 80 Plymouth Volare,  this camper is another resto project..... this is my 3rd Apache popup  camper that I have had (5th, if you count the 2 parts campers that I have had-- one stripped and gone, 1 yet to be stripped) and will be the 2nd that I have actually camped in.   I need to get it into shape in time for the campout that I have reservations for in a month.... otherwise the tent comes out of the attic.  (would not bother me, but the wife......)

Edited by dodge trucker, September 11, 2016 - 07:59 PM.

• shorty said thank you

#10 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted September 11, 2016 - 08:02 PM

I just loaded the tires on my s-16, got some wheel weights and have a big weight box on the three point hitch.

She was unstoppable in the snow last year with the plow blade, and that was without wheel weights and the loaded tires.

Since the winter I've added over 260 lbs by loading the tires and adding wheel weights. I have also gotten more weights for the weight box.

Actually looking forward to snow this winter :0

NOOO no snow!   They are actually calling for a long heavy-snow winter around here/ I hope not!  

2 years ago I put the plow on my GT19 and tried it out that year and it was a beast with no weights and then brand new, Carlisle Tru powers (those still haven't seen much use, still have square corners on the lugs and the nubbies)

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted September 11, 2016 - 08:07 PM

Are there gutters on that building?
Rain diversion can be a real hassle, even worse with the roof dumping it where it shouldn't be.

Hope the tractor comes out ok.

#12 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,564 Thanks
  • 3,942 posts

Posted September 11, 2016 - 08:17 PM

Don't jump to any conclusions, his displeasure with you could of been for nearly anything.

You know, looking back to those years. Dad put up with a lot from us boys and had an extreme amount of patience.
  • Cat385B said thank you

#13 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted September 11, 2016 - 08:47 PM

Are there gutters on that building?
Rain diversion can be a real hassle, even worse with the roof dumping it where it shouldn't be.

Hope the tractor comes out ok.

yeah as soon as the ground firms up itll be good.  no, no gutters, just be in the last 4 years or so that it has gotten this wet in there. 

I know there is a crack in the foundation on the east wall just back of the NE corner that I can stick my fingers thru.

• MH81 said thank you

#14 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • Member No: 48052
  • 310 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted September 12, 2016 - 06:39 PM

I did something similar with my Ariens GT14 last year at the inflow drainage to my big pond. Buryed that thing to the frame while loaded with around 300lbs of fencing in the rear tote bucket.

There was no way to get anything back to where I was stuck and it started raining again and I was afraid if I didn't get it out quick she would be flooded there.

Walked a 1/2 mile back to the house to gather up the chain hoist. Took 2 hours but I finally got the stupid thing out, my day was finished.

#15 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted September 13, 2016 - 06:12 AM

well, the deck hanging off the bottom is keeping it from being stuck deeper into the mud at the moment.  A couple days later, I haven't been back out there where the tractor is stuck, might have a chance to do so this weekend, calling for more rain tonite and again Saturday morning, may stay there another week and 1/2 in the mud  til the following weekend. It's in a barn anyways.....

just have to bring a couple of chains so I can reach it and keep the rescue vehicle outside on "better" ground. probably take the Wrangler out there next time.