• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted September 10, 2016 - 11:10 PM

First of all, let me just say that this is not my tractor, but it is at a friend of mine's garage and he doesn't really want to store it there over the winter or anything. It is a customer's tractor but they didn't want to put any money into it to give it a tune-up and get it running in tip-top shape again. So, now the guy just wants to sell it as he has no interest in keeping it.  I believe he bought a new bigger tractor to mow his yard with already.  I don't have anything to do with this tractor really, but I thought I'd help out and advertise it on here to see if anyone wants to buy it to at least save it from potentially ending up in the scrap yard. It does seem like a solid little tractor and could be a good tractor without too much work, probably.

I'm not really sure what it may need to get it in reliable working condition, but it looks like it may need a new front tire as at least one is flat and a bit dry rotted (or at least it may need a tube to get it to hold air), new belts, a tune-up, etc. As far as I know, the engine starts and runs okay, but the engine could use a tune-up.  I think the carburetor is original on it and I'm not sure if it could use a rebuild or not. Beyond that, I'm not sure what other work, if any, it may need. I have been told that the hydraulic drive works on it and the tractor does move around okay, but I have not personally driven it myself.

So anyways, from what I can tell, this is a 1974-1979 vintage Case 220 tractor. It has a 10 HP Kohler engine on it and I believe a 38" mower deck. It has the Case "Hydriv" infinitely variable hydraulic transmission.

The owner is asking $500 or best offer for it as it is where it is. I'm not sure if this is a decent price for it or not the way it is and without any other attachments for it or what he would be willing to sell it for bottom line. Any questions, feel free to ask me and I can try to help facilitate the sale with any members on this site as well as helping with pick-up of the tractor if it is sold.

Here are the pictures of the tractor. It doesn't really look in that bad of shape at all and it shouldn't take much work to make a good running tractor out of it for someone:

Case220_01.jpg

Case220_02.jpg

Case220_03.jpg

Case220_04.jpg

Case220_05.jpg

Case220_06.jpg

Case220_07.jpg

Case220_08.jpg

Feel free to reply to this topic or PM me if you are interested in buying this tractor and I can help communicate with the owner to make the sale. The tractor is located in Schenectady, New York and you will have to arrange for pick-up of the tractor there, which I can help with also if necessary.

Thanks for looking and I hope that I can help find a new home for this fine looking specimen of a solid iron workhorse of a tractor!

Edited by MailmAn, September 12, 2016 - 08:49 AM.

• Traill95 said thank you

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,668 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted September 10, 2016 - 11:15 PM

How about the Bolens next to it? For sale too?

Edited by glgrumpy, September 10, 2016 - 11:17 PM.

#3 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted September 10, 2016 - 11:22 PM

How about the Bolens next to it? For sale too?

Nope, that is my tractor.  It doesn't run right now anyways as the engine needs to be rebuilt.  I just haven't had the time or money to put into that tractor right now to get it running again as other projects have taken a bigger priority, unfortunately.  I hope to get it fixed up and running again fairly soon though, if the moon and the stars all align right and I can finish off my other projects and get them off of my plate... 

#4 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted September 12, 2016 - 09:02 AM

I just wanted to update this post as I spoke with the owner this morning around 9:00am about the tractor.  I have made some minor edits to the original post to reflect the new information I received about it.  I didn't know much about the tractor as it is not mine and I didn't want to say it was in better shape than it is in or anything, so I was being very conservative in my assessment of it.  Yes, the front tire does go flat and it doesn't hold air very well, so it may need two new front tires if you were going to use it a lot.  However, from what I was told, the tractor does start, run, and drive okay.

The owner found this tractor in the garage of an old house that he just bought, so it was kept inside and taken care of (I mean the seat is even in pretty good condition for a 35+ year old tractor!).  The battery was dead in it, but he jumped it and it started right up.  He brought it over to my friend's shop to have him look at it and see what it would take to get it running like new again, but decided against putting any money into it and just wants to sell it.  He said it was too small to mow his yard with and he bought a brand new John Deere with like a 60" cut, so he doesn't need this tractor, which is why he just wants to sell it now.  He says it is a good running solid tractor though and you can tell the previous owner took care of it and probably did all the maintenance on it.

He said he would still like to try to get $500 for it if he can, but if not he may take a bit less for it, but he's not going to give it away either.  (Not sure why as the guy clearly doesn't need the money if he just dropped over $2,500 on a new tractor, but whatever...)  Hope this helps give you some more info and background on the tractor.  If possible, I will try to head back over to the shop sometime this week and check it out more myself and start it and drive it around just for my own peace of mind rather than just taking his word for it that it runs.  That way I will feel better about telling everyone on here that the tractor works all okay.

Edited by MailmAn, September 12, 2016 - 09:05 AM.

#5 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,810 Thanks
  • 2,224 posts

Posted September 12, 2016 - 10:51 AM

If it runs, drives and cuts grass then $500 is a good price. These are very popular around here and don't set for long at that price.
Pete
  • MailmAn said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: for sale, case, 220, tractor, mower, deck, kohler