• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 markknx OFFLINE  

markknx
  • Member No: 84591
  • 1 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted September 10, 2016 - 10:31 PM

Hi guys new to this forum. I just picked up a JD 445 from one seller and a JD 40 FEL from another. the mounting brackets were pretty straight forward. the Hydro lines not so much, however the top lever controls the bucket and the bottom the boom. not sure if this is right or if it makes a difference. the only is the boom will not fully raise with a load of about 300lbs. It will go up with a little push. is this a low hydro fluid problem. does the FEL use the trans hydro.

Also just to be sure you know all details the auxiliary hydro does not seem to have been used by the previous owner, the caps were so dry rotted I had to pic them out. also it took a bit of PB blaster and some working to get the lower valve to free up. Same with the quick connects for the Hydro lines. it is a little touchy when running the boom down. (like a bit quick if not careful.  

Any ideas?

any help will be appreciated.

Mark

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,450 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted September 11, 2016 - 05:32 AM

Welcome to GTTalk ! I'm sure someone will be able to answer your questions
  • boyscout862 and markknx have said thanks

#3 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,433 Thanks
  • 39,673 posts

Posted September 11, 2016 - 06:24 AM

:wave: Welcome to the forum. Check the link in my signature as pics will be asked for.

• boyscout862 and markknx have said thanks

#4 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted September 11, 2016 - 08:14 AM

I think they are only rated 215 lbs full height but some people shim them for more lift.Always remember that the lift of the loader has the float position on the down side.Did you install the required loader relief valve? Does not change the operation of the loader but is there in case you put to much strain on the transmission from the additional traction that you might get with the added rear weights as I understand things.

• markknx said thank you

#5 markknx OFFLINE  

markknx
  • 1 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted September 12, 2016 - 08:39 AM

I think they are only rated 215 lbs full height but some people shim them for more lift.Always remember that the lift of the loader has the float position on the down side.Did you install the required loader relief valve? Does not change the operation of the loader but is there in case you put to much strain on the transmission from the additional traction that you might get with the added rear weights as I understand things.

First off let me say thank you for your response. I am not sure if the tractor has a loader relief valve. I am guessing not because one did not come with the loader, and the tractor does not appear to have ever had anything hooked up to the Aux hydro lines. Where would the loader relief valve go? I could post pictures of that area and see if any one could tell. 

Can you explain your statement about the lift of the loader having the float on the down side? I understand what float is. Are you saying that the float position should be at the lowering of the boom( same lever same direction)

One more question I saw some where and now I can't remember where that there  is a needle valve that shuts down the 3 point and deck lift while using the loader. I can't find this, any idea where I should be looking? thanks again for your time in this matter.

Mark

#6 markknx OFFLINE  

markknx
  • 1 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted September 12, 2016 - 10:20 AM

This pressure release valve does it sit on top of the trans? What is the shimming process?

#7 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted September 12, 2016 - 06:25 PM

Your float position should be when you lower the bucket,it should be past the power down when you lower and should snap in place and stay.Only one position of the 4 has that feature.

The relief valve mounts on top of the pump under the seat pan and is an inch or so longer than the standard one.

I posted a picture of the lock out valve mounted on the control valve.Your tractor probably does not have the valve unless someone installed one.

Attached Thumbnails

• OMM144040_E067.jpg
  • Valve.jpg

• markknx said thank you

#8 markknx OFFLINE  

markknx
  • 1 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted September 12, 2016 - 07:14 PM

yes the float position is right. I ordered the two valves today. the next question is where do I shim for more force? and where would be a good place for a gage so I know what pressure I am set at?

Thanks a bunch for your time and help. You really cleared up a lot of confusion for me.

Mark

Ps yes I did order the new free wheel rod as the old one would be to short.

#9 markknx OFFLINE  

markknx
  • 1 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted September 18, 2016 - 09:00 PM

Still wondering if anyone knows where and how I need to shim To increase the hydro pressure, so I can get better lift with the front end loader. is it on the hydro pump or the auxiliary hydro valve?

Thanks Mark

#10 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,310 Thanks
  • 4,660 posts

Posted September 18, 2016 - 09:06 PM

It's on the pump in front of the gold bar Username posted above.  And yes, the tranny oil runs the whole show..  If the loader was MT when you put it on you need to check the oil level in the tranny when the cylinders are extended.  If the level drops too low you will starve the hydro pump and bad things happen fast..  Another telltale sign of low oil is whiny pump or sluggish operation.  Be careful when you shim as you need not over pressurize the system.  Lots of folks have done this but I have not..  PM me W/ your Email for more...

Oh..  &  :driving_big_tractor: Welcome to the Forum!

Edited by WNYTractorTinkerer, September 18, 2016 - 09:09 PM.

• markknx said thank you

#11 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,722 Thanks
  • 8,903 posts

Posted September 18, 2016 - 09:12 PM

You shim the implement relief valve located in the hydro, under the seat. One or two shims should do the trick, .5 mm thick, 20mm OD x 10mm ID. If you shim it, I recommend getting a hydraulic pressure gauge plumbed in so you know high high your setting it at.

image.jpg

Edited by Cat385B, September 18, 2016 - 09:15 PM.

• markknx said thank you

#12 markknx OFFLINE  

markknx
  • 1 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted September 19, 2016 - 07:01 PM

Thanks guys, Cat385B is the part labeled 3 the shim? Where is a good place for the pressure gauge?

Thanks again guys.
Mark

#13 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,722 Thanks
  • 8,903 posts

Posted September 19, 2016 - 09:21 PM

Yep, that's the one.
  • markknx said thank you

#14 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,722 Thanks
  • 8,903 posts

Posted September 19, 2016 - 09:35 PM

Mistake on the shim size, the K92 uses 10mm OD x 5mm ID x .05 thick shims.

Gauge would be plumbed to one of the hydraulic outlets for the loader.

I would gauge it first, should be around 950-1000 psi factory.

Edited by Cat385B, September 19, 2016 - 09:38 PM.

• MH81 and markknx have said thanks

#15 markknx OFFLINE  

markknx
  • 1 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted September 27, 2016 - 09:27 PM

Hey guys I think I got it worked out. here is the tractor doing its thing.

Thanks again guys.
Mark
  • Merle013 said thank you