5 replies to this topic

#1 pdosr1959 OFFLINE  

pdosr1959

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2718
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted May 24, 2011 - 04:19 PM

Am considering LGT 145 purchase w/12 HP kohler, 44" deck. Looks good, owner says needs pto switch, battery and carb kit. Best sources for those? Any other things I should be wary of when evaluating this 145? Thanks!

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 24, 2011 - 04:45 PM

For one, it should have a Kohler K321 engine, 14HP. Carb kits can be gotten from most any decent small engine shop. The PTO switch may be a Ford OEM part. Batteries can be gotten most anywhere, from automotive parts stores, farm supply stores, and Walmart type stores. Do get a 275CCA battery or higher.
As to the tractor, look at all the wear points like deck linkages, steering, etc. Make sure they aren't worn till sloppy. Listen for strange noises, especially in the engine. Look for signs of oil leaks. They can nickel & dime you to death, but still makes for a great hobby. Sloppy deck linkage points can be built back up with a welder, then ground smooth & re-drilled.

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,479 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted May 24, 2011 - 05:14 PM

First of all, Welcome to GT Talk. Olcowhand has you covered. PTO switch off a Sears works. I haven't tried to buy a new one. What year is this one? Or if you don't know, post the engine #'s. I bet we will figure it out. Is it a closed side or not? They are tough tractors. Made by Jacobsen.

#4 pdosr1959 OFFLINE  

pdosr1959

• Contributor
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted May 26, 2011 - 04:06 PM

Thanks for the info, advice and suggestions!

#5 pdosr1959 OFFLINE  

pdosr1959

• Contributor
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted May 26, 2011 - 04:08 PM

Pics show closed sides, not sure of year. Thanks for the info and if I get to check it out in person/or buy it, I will give everyone a complete update!

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,479 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted May 26, 2011 - 04:47 PM

Sounds great. If you do buy it, we could use the model of the tractor. This is found on a tag mounted to the frame, left side, front. Next will be the engine #'s. All three. With that, we can nail down what year it was made.