6 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,141 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted September 10, 2016 - 11:50 AM

Working on a 1655 White Yard Boss.  I am thinking the ignition switch has been changed and rewired.  The entire wiring was a mess.  I need the diagram of the internal terminal contacts for the three positions, OFF -  ON - START.  All the diagrams I have found show 6 terminal switches except for the MTD 995 which shows a 4 terminal.  The switch that is in the tractor is a 5 terminal. If I had the internal connections for the 3 positions I can get it re-wired so it will work.  Thanks in advance.

This tractor has the 3 position light switch, head lights on - off - head lights on & rear flashers on.

Edited by chieffan, September 10, 2016 - 12:16 PM.

#2 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted September 10, 2016 - 12:09 PM

Think my manuals show switch connections in diff positions. Have manual here for your tractor?  Not sure if owner's, shop or parts, but one should have that.

These tractors seem to have odd switch, specially ones with lights seperate and no light switch in dash. Much easier to just buy generic switch and use a toggle for the lights my opinion. Just have to get either Batt IGN or  M for mag on switch to match which ever your engine needs.  Remove the plastic holder from the orig wiring and may have to replace terms if bad, but then just wire each one to spade big and slip on right ones according to marks on switch. OR, they do have generic 5 pole connectors with wire tails that you can wire to each system as needed in same way, but colors if any may not match your wires. OR, can get just the plastic connector, the special spade ends to put into it and wire each spade and then pull back into the plastic, look like factory. This is about what I did to my QT16, maybe bigger ones are more complicated? 

• chieffan said thank you

#3 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,141 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted September 10, 2016 - 12:42 PM

Thanks GL.  None of the manuals that I have found show the internal connections.  This tractor does have the separate light switch.  I have replaced the terminals in the plastic block that goes on the switch.  The switch seems to be making internal contact OK between the terminals.  Going to remove the block and use straight terminals to the switch.  May get something figured out that way.  I agree that the ones with the light switch built into the keyed switch are a real PITA to work with.  Most of the time I don't worry about lights.  More of a problem than they are worth.  If I can't get it done during daylight it won't get done today.  The closest diagram I have found is for a MTD 996 which should be the same.  I am eliminating the monitor as that part of the dash was busted up - made a new one out of plexiglass.  Have the entire wiring loom opened up so can trace individual wires.  If you have something that shows the terminal contacts would be great. 

#4 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted September 10, 2016 - 12:50 PM

Have to apologize, was thinking of a Bolen's tractor and the manuals for it.  Hadn't had my morning coffee yet and woke up!  WHITE, or MTD, sheash, got that wrong!  Don't read emails or forums first thing in am, might get them wrong!  :D  Not sure if any of the Bolen's switches may be same, might try a look??  Never Mind! 

#5 mrmr56 OFFLINE  

mrmr56
  • Member No: 62092
  • 202 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted September 10, 2016 - 01:04 PM

Google indak and I think you will find a full listing of switches and functions. I had it bookmarked at one time but I can't find it now.

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,753 Thanks
  • 7,523 posts

Posted September 10, 2016 - 04:19 PM

In our Manuals Section there is a good set of MTD shop manuals. Maybe what you need is in there. I'm trying to correct the wiring in two old GTs. A  Case 220 and a Wheelhorse C160. Good Luck, Rick

#7 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,141 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted September 10, 2016 - 05:35 PM

Thanks a bunch guys.  Rewiring one of these old gal is always a challenge.  Used to the Briggs and Wisconsin in the Bolens.  This is a Briggs all right but in a White/MTD.  I think I got it figured out.  Used another switch I had that has 7 terminals.  Removed the plastic block and went to the switch from the terminals.  Haven't fired it up yet to make sure it is charging OK but all other indications show it should work.  Fire at the plugs when on, mag to ground when off.   Charge wire tied in with the battery wire at the switch.  Only mag connection at the switch is to ground when off and open when in run.

goyscout862 - I have about 5 of those manuals.  The manual for the White 1655 is owners manual only and nothing about the wiring in it.  The rest are close but not quit there.  Good luck with your Case and Wheelhorse.  Have a good friend that has a Case with an Onan engine that was his Dad's.  Just had it rebuilt to the tune of $1100.  Can't tell you right off what model it is but he has 2 decks for it.

• boyscout862 said thank you