• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 KEYBEAR OFFLINE  

KEYBEAR
  • Member No: 84570
  • 6 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted September 10, 2016 - 10:28 AM

I have had a lot of John Deere lawn tractors over the years .  I started with a 317 went to a 381-720-750 and now a X-758 .   I care for my stuff so when I trade I look or top dollar for my tractor .

Things have changed over the years a lot now the dealers are way bigger with 4/5 locations .

Now I am never sure of the owner or his overall business plan .

Two years go I was looking to trade my x-720 for a new x-750 .  So I go to my local dealer that just sold out to a bigger dealer .   The price was high and trade low not going to do that .    That winter I got on the computer looking for a clean used x-750 and found little .    Than looking at dealers in other states I found a dealer with a bunch of used x-750,s (10 or more) all with low hours as low as 25 hours  .   The next day I called and talked to a salesman (the only one) and ask why do you have all the low hour tractors and no one else does .   He told me they sell to JD employees as they get a really big discount and they trade every year .  So I sent pictures of my trade and talk to the salesman over the next three days .   The dealership is 250 miles from home and it has to be a good deal for me to go . Bottom line I saved over $1,500.00 on a 2014 X-750 60 inch deck with the better seat 3pt hitch and 32 hours on it .

This spring the same salesman called to talk .   I ended up trading the x-750 for a new x-758 with the MC-14 Bagger .   In the end I paid far less got 300 bucks less for the x-750 than I paid  on trade and a new x-758 and the mc-14 bagger  the total I got the bagger free (over $2,000 at my local dealer) .

So if you look around and can spend a day driving to pickup the tractor you can find a good dealer to buy from . 

• boyscout862, WNYTractorTinkerer and Merle013 have said thanks

#2 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted September 10, 2016 - 11:26 AM

The day of the small independent dealer is long gone.  The equipment companies took care of that.  When several of the JD dealers merged into one big outfit they also took on Stihl equipment.  Bought a bunch, spread it out to the dealers to get the signs on the buildings.  Have very little if anything in stock.  Their employees buy from an established outdoor power dealer as their prices are better than at JD with a discount.  I have one JD mower and it works great.  Deck drive belt is over $100 at JD and not even Kevlar.  I don't darken their door any more.  To proud of their green paint.  When this mower dies there won't ever be anything JD on my property.  Once they get their hooks into you your stuck with them.  Not going to happen.  My opinion of JD.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 crittersf1 ONLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted September 10, 2016 - 11:35 AM

A friend of mine just saved a little over $10,000 on a work van by buying out of state. Shopping around can really pay off!

#4 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted September 10, 2016 - 12:19 PM

I was told this by a car salesman that I respect: He would rather do online sales as those inquiring have done their research, know what they want, and are willing to drive to make a purchase.  In my case, I drove to Des Moines after a local deal continued to disappoint me.  I am not surprised to hear this with JD dealers.  Dad told me that many of the family dealers were told to go big or go home in the late 90's. 

#5 KEYBEAR OFFLINE  

KEYBEAR
  • 6 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted September 10, 2016 - 12:22 PM

When i bought the 2016 x-758 the list price out of state was almost $2,000 less then the local dealer list price  .

The salesman at my local dealership ask later how I could drive a total of 500 miles to buy out of state .

The guy must think money grows on trees I would drive 500 miles every day for two grand .

The local dealer can do my warranty work but anything to do with servicing the tractor I buy on line .

• Trav1s and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted September 10, 2016 - 01:02 PM

What I have heard about JD's new corporate structure: To be a stand alone dealership with JD, you have to do $10 million a year in sales. Not income, just sales. Hence all the mergers.

#7 KEYBEAR OFFLINE  

KEYBEAR
  • 6 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted September 10, 2016 - 01:36 PM

What I have heard about JD's new corporate structure: To be a stand alone dealership with JD, you have to do $10 million a year in sales. Not income, just sales. Hence all the mergers.

I would not know of any dealerships doing less than that a combine would be half a million (PLUS GRAIN HEADS) and a 4x4 tractor right at or over half million .

so three or four combines and a hand full of tractors your home free

#8 crittersf1 ONLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted September 10, 2016 - 04:08 PM

Try selling a combine around here

#9 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted September 10, 2016 - 05:07 PM

Try selling a combine around here

My friend just bought a new class 8 MF and so far the amount of people who think he is nuts or stupid stands at 95%. He's my friend, so I went with 'overly optimistic'. I do believe upon delivery he will be sleeping in it, according to his wife.

#10 KEYBEAR OFFLINE  

KEYBEAR
  • 6 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted September 14, 2016 - 09:57 AM

My friend just bought a new class 8 MF and so far the amount of people who think he is nuts or stupid stands at 95%. He's my friend, so I went with 'overly optimistic'. I do believe upon delivery he will be sleeping in it, according to his wife.

I just wish I knew that a 8 MF was ??

#11 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted September 14, 2016 - 07:34 PM

Class 8. Refers to the size of the combine, class 8 are machines from 375 up to 410 hp. I don't know the model number of it yet.

Edited by Cat385B, September 14, 2016 - 07:39 PM.