• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 theck4291 OFFLINE  

theck4291
  • Member No: 81055
  • 3 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted September 09, 2016 - 10:14 PM

Just picked up a Yard Machine for cheap, owners said engine was locked and wouln't start. Got it home, took my breaker bar and found out that the deck drive pulley didn't disengage and was putting too much strain on the engine, so wouldn't turn over. Got it to turn over, made sure I was getting gas, has good compression, getting a nice strong spark, but all I am getting is white smoke out of my intake. I took off the oil cap and white smoke came out of there too, and after checking the oil it was milky. I am guessing they left it out without anything over the intake (no air filter) and it probably got water logged, but I do not know where to go from here.... It is nighttime, so I was able to see that there was a flash of light, like it backfired maybe, out of the intake. 

Where do I go from here?? This has everything that I thought an engine needed to run. so why is mine not firing?

Trying to get this running for my brother's wife's grandma, because theirs crapped out, so any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

• Traill95 and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#2 Mtypython OFFLINE  

Mtypython
  • Member No: 80530
  • 255 Thanks
  • 289 posts

Posted September 10, 2016 - 04:48 AM

pull the flywheel and check the key, could be sheared 

• boyscout862 and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#3 DZG OFFLINE  

DZG
  • Member No: 84305
  • 280 Thanks
  • 266 posts

Posted September 10, 2016 - 05:46 AM

Definatly check the flywheel key. My kohler courage did the same thing, had fuel, comperession and spark but wouldnt fire. It was the key
  • boyscout862 and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,745 Thanks
  • 7,517 posts

Posted September 10, 2016 - 07:23 AM

It sounds like they hit something with the mower that stopped the deck and the engine suddenly. This could jam the pulley that you found. Sudden stopping of the engine will cause the shear key, between the flywheel and the crankshaft, to shear inorder to protect the crankshaft from damage. It is a common problem. Our Manuals Section has some excellant engine manuals that you can download to guide you. Let us know how you make out. Good Luck, Rick

• holdenboy1960 said thank you

#5 jms180 OFFLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 913 Thanks
  • 1,204 posts

Posted September 10, 2016 - 08:04 AM

if it is overhead valve engine I would check valve operation also. Take the valve cover off and watch the valve movement as you turn the flywheel with spark plug out.

Edited by jms180, September 10, 2016 - 08:41 AM.

• holdenboy1960 said thank you

#6 theck4291 OFFLINE  

theck4291
  • 3 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted September 10, 2016 - 10:09 AM

Thanks everyone! Got it started. Checked the key, everything was good, changed the oil and it was more water than oil. After about 15 minutes of trying to turn it over, it started up. Must have had a lot of water still on the engine, and after about 2-3 minutes of running it quit smoking. $55 and an oil change for a running 6 speed 13.5 HP Yard machine! Now to work on the Weed Eater that I got... Someone cut the wire to the starter, and I think that is all thats wrong with it. Wish me luck!!!!

#7 theck4291 OFFLINE  

theck4291
  • 3 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted September 10, 2016 - 07:49 PM

Guess I lied... Yard Machine ran perfectly fine until it ran out of gas.... then it wouldn't restart. At all. Nothing I try... Getting compression, spark, fuel... keeps backfiring.... dont know where to go from here... rechecked the key and its still good... any ideas??? also did another oil change as it seemed like it may have had water in it again???????!!?!? I am at a loss..... Need help.