#1 glen OFFLINE  

glen

• Member No: 3585
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted May 24, 2011 - 10:02 AM

HELLO,
I AM NEW TO THIS FORUM.
I HAVE A JD 318 WITH A P218 IN IT. IT WAS SMOKING AND BLOWING OIL INTO THE BREATHER WHEN I PARKED IT A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO. I AM LOOKING FOR HELP IN FINDING MOTOR PARTS FOR AN OVER HAUL. CAN I FIND PARTS? CAN I FIND ANOTHER MOTOR? WHAT IS THE WAY TO GO?

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT! THANKS!!! :rocker2:

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted May 24, 2011 - 10:15 AM

glen,:welcometogttalk:

Glad to have you with us.
  • glen said thank you

#3 glen OFFLINE  

glen

• 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted May 24, 2011 - 10:18 AM

Thank you!!

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 24, 2011 - 10:19 AM

First welcome to GTtalk, second you might want to turn the caps lock off. Some people view that as shouting.

There are several places to get Onan parts from. A lot of guys use Onanparts.com. Are you sure you are in need of a rebuild? Might just be a clogged crankcase breather causing most of your issue.

You can find another motor, problem is if it isn't close by for a local pickup then shipping is expensive. Where are you located? I think you would be better off rebuilding the one you have if that is the path you need to take. They have full piston kits available. The P series Onans are good engines. I have a P220 and at first I didn't care for it but now that I have the bugs worked out of it I really like it.
  • glen said thank you

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 24, 2011 - 01:01 PM

A faulty oil dipstick seal can cause oil out the breather into the intake also. I use www.onanparts.com
With the crankcase breather blowing oil, the smoke may only be from this oil & not worn rings/valve guides.
  • glen said thank you

#6 glen OFFLINE  

glen

• 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted May 24, 2011 - 01:01 PM

Thanks for the info. George. Yes I have checked the crankcase breather. I just attempted to get on the map and the registry. I am trying to fix the 318 so I can get rid of my JD 855. It doesn't have a loader and I would like to get a 35 to 40hp tractor with a loader for around my farm. I have a backhoe but it is to big to get into the barn to clean out stalls.

Thanks again. Glen