• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Schwarzkopf9 OFFLINE  

Schwarzkopf9
  • Member No: 84559
  • 35 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted September 08, 2016 - 09:27 PM

Anyone have a preference on oil when running in a diesel? The manual is very vague on this topic. I currently run Rotella 15w-40. Having a problem with smoke, oil smell while running with a slight tick, manual says this could be related to oil type so, I thought I would try a new oil before tearing into the motor. Any insight on these machines would be helpful, kinda new to them. Thanks!

• gksyn said thank you

#2 Cub 1650 OFFLINE  

Cub 1650

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 975
  • 105 Thanks
  • 79 posts

Posted September 09, 2016 - 05:34 AM

I am running Rotella 15w-40 with no problems.

#3 Cub 1650 OFFLINE  

Cub 1650

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 975
  • 105 Thanks
  • 79 posts

Posted September 09, 2016 - 05:35 AM

update, in my LGT 14D

#4 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted September 09, 2016 - 02:38 PM

If it's a diesel around me it gets Rotella

#5 gksyn OFFLINE  

gksyn
  • Member No: 83585
  • 56 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted September 09, 2016 - 02:53 PM

The owner's manual calls for a 15W-40 Diesel engine oil.
I'm running AMSOIL's Full Synthetic Diesel Oil in mine with an AMSOIL Filter. (Don't skimp on the filter!)

To answer your concern.
Oils do not fix mechanical problems, but they can cause them.
I agree, your cheapest route is to try a different oil and filter.

Let's start off with your symptoms.
What color is your smoke?
Oil smell = somehow the oil is burning off, meaning too much oil in the combustion chamber.
Doesn't matter what kind of oil you use, if there is a mechanical problem that is allowing excess oil to enter the chamber, you're going to consume and burn oil.
I'm very eager and excited to help you troubleshoot.

Side note:

This thread is where two things in my life cross.
Hobbie -> Garden Tractor
Profession -> Lubrications/Filtration

Can't get a better oil than the first in synthetics. And before anyone says it, It's not too expensive. I can show you.

Edited by gksyn, September 09, 2016 - 02:57 PM.

#6 Schwarzkopf9 OFFLINE  

Schwarzkopf9
  • Member No: 84559
  • 35 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted September 09, 2016 - 05:54 PM

Ill try that approach with the full synthetic oil. My cars always get full synthetic because I only change oil twice a year and I don't want to replace timing chains...

My smoke is white/gray with a very oily smell, Im assuming blow by.  

Anyone have luck with rebuild kits? Its the E643 engine, and parts for me are hard to locate...

I'm going to try and adjust the valve lash this winter, maybe that will help the ticking. I don't know, figure Ill try. Problem is, I don't know how much has already been done to it...lol

• gksyn said thank you

#7 gksyn OFFLINE  

gksyn
  • Member No: 83585
  • 56 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted September 12, 2016 - 07:40 AM

Ill try that approach with the full synthetic oil. My cars always get full synthetic because I only change oil twice a year and I don't want to replace timing chains...

My smoke is white/gray with a very oily smell, Im assuming blow by.  

Anyone have luck with rebuild kits? Its the E643 engine, and parts for me are hard to locate...

I'm going to try and adjust the valve lash this winter, maybe that will help the ticking. I don't know, figure Ill try. Problem is, I don't know how much has already been done to it...lol

A full synthetic is going to help with burn off. It doesn't start to burn off until much higher temperatures. But like anything, it will burn sooner or later.

white/gray that is constant is typical in a diesel that has unburnt fuel in it. The thicker the cloud, the more unburnt fuel.
For reference, black diesel smoke is partially burnt fuel. There are many ways for a diesel to produce said smoke.

I am buying some parts for my 14D off a guy that may have some of the engine left or a whole one. Private Message me and I can get you his contact info, since he's not on here. (I don't believe)