• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 James Sr OFFLINE  

James Sr
  • Member No: 84563
  • 1 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted September 08, 2016 - 12:58 PM

I acquired a "middle" 80's mower deck however, need a bit of work. I have replaced the 3 idler sheaves (pulleys), belt, 3 blades already and then while the gear box was off the deck, I would drain and change the gear oil. After mounting the gear box back onto the deck and of course while filling it with gear oil, I discovered I have a pretty bad leak. The lower gear box seal. Off comes the gear box again and I removed the bolt that retains the sheave on the gear box output shaft. As I look into the center of the the sheave, the inside diameter of the sheave is threaded (much larger than the lock bolt). My question is this: does the pulley simply slide onto the gear box output shaft using a woodruff key or could this sheave actually be threaded onto the gear box shaft and then locked into place with the retaining bolt?

Year:    (Unknown)

Make:  John Deere

Model: 272 Grooming Mower

Serial #: M00272X1407** (last 2 digits unreadable)

272 3PT HITCH (under serial # on stamped tag)

Thanks for you help in advance

- I have a little bit of an update. After picking up the new seal today at mama deere store, I inquired with the parts personnel about what the lower belt sheave looked like or if they a clearer image. It was stated that I should be able to remove the retaining bolt and the pulley should just slide down off the shaft. Well, not so much. On the "technical" parts drawings, I do not even see a woodruff key and in the parts drawing it appears that the lower shaft may be a tapered shaft. I need help in figuring the correct manner to get these separated with out damaging the lower case or the sheave. Help!!!!!!

Gear Case (272) (575176 - 999999), (010001 - )

Attached Thumbnails

• JD Tag.jpg
  • 272 Deck.gif
  • Drive sheave 1.jpg
  • Drive sheave 2.jpg
  • Drive sheave 3.jpg

Edited by James Sr, September 09, 2016 - 09:47 PM.

• MH81 said thank you

#2 SimplyRad OFFLINE  

SimplyRad
  • Member No: 84410
  • 187 Thanks
  • 181 posts

Posted September 17, 2016 - 02:55 PM

To me the shaft looks tapered. You might take a rod and hammer and tap the pulley as close to the shaft as possible and it should come off.