• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 red79 OFFLINE  

red79
  • Member No: 60181
  • 57 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted September 08, 2016 - 11:49 AM

I'm sitting here contemplating my winter tractor plans and have a question for those of you using your tube frames for snow blowing duty.  My question arises from a dilemma: I've got 2 snow blowers that I'm considering - a 36" and a 32" - and am leaning toward the 32" for a few reasons.  From a pure mechanics standpoint, the 32" is easier for the tractor to run - albeit marginally - and it's slightly easier on the manual lift operator - also marginally.  The bigger part of the equation is that my 32" blower is in better shape.  Whichever blower misses the cut is going up for sale prior to winter, so this decision also carries with it some permanence.

My first question is have any of you used the 32" blowers with a 1050? And what are your opinions as compared to the 36"?  Does the fact that the blower is narrower than the tractor's footprint come into play at all?  My gut feeling is that the differences are probably extremely trivial and I should probably keep the unit that is in better shape.

Also, the 1050 and blower will only be used for big snow storms when blowing is necessary.  I'm hanging up the tube frame plow this year and using a 1400 Eliminator for the grunt work :thumbs:

LAST QUESTION: Do any of you have an extra bracket for the chute rotation arm (the one that attaches to the right side of the tractor by the foot board)? I'd like to find one in decent shape without spending an arm and a leg! 

• Bolens 1000 and chieffan have said thanks

#2 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,146 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted September 08, 2016 - 12:59 PM

I use the 32" on my G12 with 145 hp Tec engine.  Tires are loaded, chains and it works good.  Only problem is backing up with the blower raised on softer ground.  Lot of times we get snow before the ground freezes.  I have the lift assist kit on the tractor which helps a ton to lift the thrower.  Lot depends on the snow.  Dry not much problem.  Wet heavy stuff that 10 hp may have a load hard for it to handle.  The width has not been a problem.  I use the thrower for the bulk of it and do the clean up with the blade.

• Alc, boyscout862 and red79 have said thanks

#3 Paulgo ONLINE  

Paulgo
  • Member No: 68759
  • 594 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted September 08, 2016 - 01:23 PM

IMO, If you plan to keep the tractor, I would stash the spare blower. They don't make them any more...

Paul

• Bolens 1000, boyscout862 and Bill 76 have said thanks

#4 red79 OFFLINE  

red79
  • 57 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted September 08, 2016 - 02:44 PM

I use the 32" on my G12 with 145 hp Tec engine.  Tires are loaded, chains and it works good.  Only problem is backing up with the blower raised on softer ground.  Lot of times we get snow before the ground freezes.  I have the lift assist kit on the tractor which helps a ton to lift the thrower.  Lot depends on the snow.  Dry not much problem.  Wet heavy stuff that 10 hp may have a load hard for it to handle.  The width has not been a problem.  I use the thrower for the bulk of it and do the clean up with the blade.

Thanks for the input.  Can you post a picture of the lift assist you're referencing?  I've got a box of extra parts and would like to see if that's one of the things I have, and if so, how to connect it properly.

IMO, If you plan to keep the tractor, I would stash the spare blower. They don't make them any more...

Paul

Thanks, Paul.  I'm actually addicted to the point that I have a revolving inventory, so anything that isn't in the condition I'd like it to be in is acquired - just to have - until I find an upgrade in better shape! I think I'm Bolens for life at this point...

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,146 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted September 08, 2016 - 03:14 PM

Will try and remember to get one this evening when I am down that way after a battery.

#6 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,146 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted September 08, 2016 - 04:09 PM

Lift 1.JPG    Lift 2.JPG    Lift 3.JPG

The hole in the bracket laying on the foot rest goes over the bottom pin on the lift lever.  This is mounted on a
Tecumseh engine tractor.  The bolt I mounted it on would not come out of the frame with the engine installed so I cut a slot in the bracket to slide under the bolt head.  That bracket can be mounted where convenient and either hole, front or back can be used.  I got a shorter eye bolt b for this set up.  Has to be removed for rear attachments as it works against you.

• Bolens 1000, Alc and red79 have said thanks

#7 Mtypython OFFLINE  

Mtypython
  • Member No: 80530
  • 258 Thanks
  • 290 posts

Posted September 08, 2016 - 04:14 PM

i snow blow with a 1053,with no problems,have the 36",wheel weights and chains handle what we got last year no problem

• red79 and chieffan have said thanks

#8 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted September 08, 2016 - 05:12 PM

How about putting wings on the 32" snowcaster like Bolens had available for the bigger snowcasters on the Large Frames?

• Bolens 1000, Alc, red79 and 1 other said thanks

#9 red79 OFFLINE  

red79
  • 57 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted September 08, 2016 - 10:14 PM

So what exactly is this? I've seen them attached to the lift lever, but only with mower decks on. Seems like it would apply downward pressure to the attachments, which doesn't make sense to me, as gravity pulls them down in a hurry.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1092.JPG

#10 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted September 09, 2016 - 05:11 AM

So what exactly is this? I've seen them attached to the lift lever, but only with mower decks on. Seems like it would apply downward pressure to the attachments, which doesn't make sense to me, as gravity pulls them down in a hurry.

Thats for a Mower deck, it sort of helps them float on uneven terrain.

• Alc and red79 have said thanks

#11 red79 OFFLINE  

red79
  • 57 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted September 09, 2016 - 08:16 AM

Thats for a Mower deck, it sort of helps them float on uneven terrain.

Thanks.  And I know I've bought parts from you in the past, do you know where I can find that chute rotation arm bracket that mounts near the right foot board?  If you don't have any, do you know of anyone on here that does?

#12 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted September 19, 2016 - 09:49 AM

Red I just picked one up the other day..   Not sure what they are worth.??