log splitter hydraulic oil

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 damon91 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 56723
  • 3 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted September 08, 2016 - 05:23 AM

I just acquired a new old log splitter as a project. the engine is bad and it has probably been sitting for the last 30 years. Judging by the engine that's on it I would guess it to be from the early 60's or 50's. Luckily the moisture has seemed to stay out of the reservoir as the hydraulic oil looks ok and their is no rust, However I still would like to put fresh oil in it. The current oil looks like ATF but doesn't smell like it. Are their any hydraulic oils that are red and thin like ATF? Anyone experienced with hydraulics know what type of oil this would be and what I should put in it?

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC03803.JPG
  • DSC03804.JPG
  • DSC05249.JPG

• Traill95 and chieffan have said thanks

#2 Arti OFFLINE  

• Member No: 11282
  • 1,266 Thanks
  • 955 posts

Posted September 08, 2016 - 06:34 AM

IH HYTRANS fluid would be my guess.?

• Sawdust and chieffan have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,457 Thanks
  • 7,345 posts

Posted September 08, 2016 - 07:08 AM

Log splitters became popular beginning in the 70s when oil supplies got very low and prices skyrocketted. Homemade splitters using whatever could be salvaged from other equipment were the norm. That engine looks like a Wisconsin and may be save able. You may want to build a platform for it to get it off the ground and save your back. IT will save alot of time over hand splitting.

I used one like yours a bunch of times in the 80s but it is low and gets to the back. I bought a vertical/horizontal splitter and mostly use it vertical while sitting on a milk crate. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, September 08, 2016 - 07:10 AM.

• Sawdust and propane1 have said thanks

#4 Titus OFFLINE  

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,691 Thanks
  • 2,217 posts

Posted September 08, 2016 - 10:59 AM

That engine looks like a Wisconsin AKN. 

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 5,756 Thanks
  • 4,263 posts

Posted September 08, 2016 - 11:45 AM

Like boyscout862 said, get it up off the ground.  My old pone has a separate tank so just raised the axle up about 16".  Might also consider a catch basket right under the wedge and beyond.  Save bending down if you want to split a chunk again.  Mine has a 10 hp Briggs single, cast iron on it.  Works great.  Remember, with a splitter you can't have ram speed and power both.

• Member No: 10038
  • 4,665 Thanks
  • 4,214 posts

Posted September 08, 2016 - 05:15 PM

Boyscout862 said it...That is a homemade unit from the late 70's energy crunch!

Me and 2 buddies built one in about 1978. It was a very heavy duty unit and only had a 5 hp B&S engine.

That thing split many of cords of wood. It is actually still being used today by one of my (deceased) buddies brother-in-law, but he replaced the B&S with a HONDA.

The B-I-L owning the log splitter is another story!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: log splitter, hydraulic oil