18 replies to this topic

#1 york0060 OFFLINE  

york0060

• Contributor
  • Member No: 748
  • 275 Thanks
  • 141 posts

Posted September 07, 2016 - 08:41 AM

I gave my 318 a little work out this weekend. I bet if you would try to pull around a 2000 lb trailer with a load of brush on it , you wouldn't have a garden tractor very long.

Attached Thumbnails

• 318 trailer.jpg

• Bolens 1000, Gtractor, twostep and 4 others have said thanks

#2 DZG OFFLINE  

DZG
  • Member No: 84305
  • 280 Thanks
  • 266 posts

Posted September 07, 2016 - 09:57 AM

Awesome!
  • york0060 said thank you

#3 Dane in PA OFFLINE  

Dane in PA

Dane in PA

• Contributor
  • Member No: 9535
  • 492 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted September 07, 2016 - 11:13 AM

Going to be honest, you won't have that one very long if you do that kind of stuff all the time with it, too --though our modern Cadet XT3s will likely pull that one around for just as long.

People get upset because the new "garden tractors" can't do what the old ones could.

Well, if people wouldn't under-buy, it wouldn't be an issue.  

If you want a tractor that is meant to handle that kind of load, pony up the $10-20K for a SCUT --don't blame Cub Cadet for making crap equipment when you pin a $1500 lawn mower under a 2k rated trailer.  

Just my $0.02

But, the important part is, you got some seat time --and it's a good looking machine.  Hahaha.  

I remember pulling around my 18' tandem axle with my Sears Custom 8 whenever I was younger.  

I remember pulling my dad's Chevy 2500HD Dually out of a ditch with that same tractor, too.

Edited by Dane in PA, September 07, 2016 - 11:14 AM.

• Bolens 1000 and farmerall have said thanks

#4 DZG OFFLINE  

DZG
  • 280 Thanks
  • 266 posts

Posted September 07, 2016 - 12:15 PM

Heres one thing i dont understand...howcome in the day a 12 or 14hp tractor was king of the hill, now everything is 20+ and really do nothing better...even mow thick grass?
  • york0060, dodge trucker and propane1 have said thanks

#5 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,102 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted September 07, 2016 - 01:03 PM

I was diggin potatoes the other day with my 12hp ford. I use a middle buster type plow to dig. Just had engine above idle a bit. Worked fine lots of power.

Noel
  • york0060 and Sawdust have said thanks

#6 DZG OFFLINE  

DZG
  • 280 Thanks
  • 266 posts

Posted September 07, 2016 - 01:32 PM

I was diggin potatoes the other day with my 12hp ford. I use a middle buster type plow to dig. Just had engine above idle a bit. Worked fine lots of power.

Noel

My dad has a 48 farmall cub, rated at 10hp. Granted, its heavier and im sure geared different then a garden tractor, but i know foe a fact itll pull circles around any modern garden "tractor" with 20-25hp.

Guess new horses are lazy? :/ lol
  • york0060 and twostep have said thanks

#7 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted September 07, 2016 - 01:40 PM

Heres one thing i dont understand...howcome in the day a 12 or 14hp tractor was king of the hill, now everything is 20+ and really do nothing better...even mow thick grass?

This has been discussed many times. True today's engines are over powered because they are designed to run WOT and have very little torque. So if they were downsized to lower HP and you put a slightly heavy load on it, they would bog down instead of chug on through like the old thumpers. Same reason why my 12 kubota will out perform 20 hp gassers.

• Bolens 1000, york0060 and Sawdust have said thanks

#8 Dane in PA OFFLINE  

Dane in PA

Dane in PA

• Contributor
  • Member No: 9535
  • 492 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted September 07, 2016 - 02:11 PM

This has been discussed many times. True today's engines are over powered because they are designed to run WOT and have very little torque. So if they were downsized to lower HP and you put a slightly heavy load on it, they would bog down instead of chug on through like the old thumpers. Same reason why my 12 kubota will out perform 20 hp gassers.

There are also differences in the way horsepower is rated, as well as fuel efficiency standards.

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#9 york0060 OFFLINE  

york0060

• Contributor
  • Member No: 748
  • 275 Thanks
  • 141 posts

Posted September 07, 2016 - 02:45 PM

Going to be honest, you won't have that one very long if you do that kind of stuff all the time with it, too --though our modern Cadet XT3s will likely pull that one around for just as long.

People get upset because the new "garden tractors" can't do what the old ones could.

Well, if people wouldn't under-buy, it wouldn't be an issue.  

If you want a tractor that is meant to handle that kind of load, pony up the $10-20K for a SCUT --don't blame Cub Cadet for making crap equipment when you pin a $1500 lawn mower under a 2k rated trailer.  

Just my $0.02

But, the important part is, you got some seat time --and it's a good looking machine.  Hahaha.  

I remember pulling around my 18' tandem axle with my Sears Custom 8 whenever I was younger.  

I remember pulling my dad's Chevy 2500HD Dually out of a ditch with that same tractor, too.

I don't use it this hard very often, That's why I took a picture of it. Usually it will push snow or base rock around and pull the yard vac in the fall.

• Dane in PA and propane1 have said thanks

#10 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted September 07, 2016 - 03:05 PM

There are also differences in the way horsepower is rated, as well as fuel efficiency standards.

One other thing to remember is the design of mower decks.  Many older mower decks didn't create much of a vacuum.  Newer mower decks are higher vacuum and thus use more horsepower to cut and mulch the grass.

• Dane in PA said thank you

#11 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted September 07, 2016 - 06:03 PM

I'd be more concerned about the hydro tranny than the rest of the tractor.

Mike

#12 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted September 07, 2016 - 06:51 PM

Actually, it probably takes more effort to pull a 10" or 12" plow than to pull a trailer loaded like in the OP.

With a trailer all you have to overcome is the initial rolling resistance. After that it takes a lot less power to keep it rolling.

I've used my HDT1000 to pull my landscape trailer with my 1886 Forklift loaded on it, and it pulled easier than a 12" plow. The forklift is in the neighborhood of 2000#, and the trailer is probably another 1500# or so.

100_4883.JPG

I've pulled roughly 2300# on a deadweight sled, and it pulled a LOT harder than either the loaded trailer or the 12" plow.

Edited by OldBuzzard, September 07, 2016 - 06:51 PM.

• york0060, MH81, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#13 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,102 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted September 07, 2016 - 08:48 PM

I like the way old decks cut the grass thou. I'm not much for this vacuum and wind rowing the grass. But , the decks of today would need more hp to run them.

Noel.

#14 The Fife Plooman ONLINE  

The Fife Plooman
  • Member No: 54903
  • 1,311 Thanks
  • 258 posts

Posted September 08, 2016 - 04:17 AM

Hi

Like your picture of your unit and what it can do

Here is a picture of my Gutbrod 1032 and 2 ton trailer with some logs in it

The Gutbrod is 12 hp with a diff lock if needed

Keep well

Trailer of logs.jpg

• york0060, KennyP, twostep and 1 other said thanks

#15 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 7,653 posts

Posted September 08, 2016 - 07:11 AM

Noel

Revvin' up the engine will give you more cooling.

With a trailer all you have to overcome is the initial rolling resistance. After that it takes a lot less power to keep it rolling.

How about decelerating or braking? That's another load on the trans.