#1 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted March 24, 2010 - 09:37 AM

Been tossing around making a screener for screening my top soil that I'am bringing home from the back field.I had about 10 acres bull dozed 20 yrs ago.It's pretty much all decayed now.What I do have is lots of roots and stones in the soil.I've used it just like that and picked stones and roots after it was spread out.What I was thinking was to either build some sort of screener[I checked out other forums and posts so have a pretty good idea what to do]Now on the other hand It's not going to be used that often so kinda undecided about spending $$ on the build.The other thing that I'am leaning more towards is building a tool bar to put on the bucket with rods spaced every couple inches about 16" long.Not too sure how that would work to try and shift some of the roots and stones out.Anyone have ideas what to do and has anyone made something like that,does it work or not.Larry

#2 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted March 24, 2010 - 10:47 AM

Not sure how much trouble you want to go to, in building something, but I've seen a setup where they built a big box (the one I saw was made of steel) with three sides and bars on the top (no bottom).They dumped on top, from the closed side of the box, where the material sifted through the bars. Then they went around to the open side of the box to load it up. This was a big operation, they were using 2 big articulated end loaders, so the process was continuous for them, but you could do it with a smaller loader too. It would just take a longer time. Depending on how big your loader is, you could make the box big enough to hold several bucket loads to sift through before you had to drive around to empty it.

Just a thought on an idea for you... hope my explanation was clear enough to understand.

Bill

#3 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted March 24, 2010 - 03:24 PM

been kinda thinking on this way.Use a screen 3/4" expanded metal 4ft wide 6ft long with a slope of about 20-30 degrees.I'll have to have a frame to keep it supported kinda like legs on all four corners.Some kinda springs on the high end and some sort of pivot or rest on the low end.Use a motor with a off set flywheel to create a vibration and dump the soil on the high end with the motor running to vibrate the screen and the soil should drop thru and the rough stuff should fall off the other end.Still in the thinking about it stage to do something like that or just do like before.Pick roots and rocks out after its spread out.Thats the cheapest way no doubt.Larry

#4 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted March 24, 2010 - 04:19 PM

Adding the motor for vibration might work good too. I forgot to mention, on the one I saw, about the top being slanted so the lumps roll off. I remember, when I was a kid, my dad made a "sifter" using 2x6's and rabbit wire. Of course, we were just loading it with shovels, but it worked good!

#5 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 24, 2010 - 05:49 PM

I think it all depends on how much dirt you are talking about moving. You could probably build a nice sifter out of a wood frame or angle and run wire for the grating to help keep some expense down. Just don't dump a whole bucket at once.

#6 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted March 24, 2010 - 06:56 PM

I'll probably take a run into Winnipeg with the old truck now that I have to rear end done.I'll go to a metal salvage yard and see if they have anything that I can use for the screen and frame.Sure hate to buy new stuff for that purpose.I'll need to pick up some steel as well as my stock has almost been depleted. .Just to have stuff on hand and ready to use.I have the motor already,its off a generator that had a slide down the hyw then came to a stop in the front of a truck. Did $3500 damage to the truck.Now I have it and may use it to run the screener.Still need to get the armature shaft turned down to accept 3/4" pulleys.I have to do this due to the shaft on the motor being tapered.Larry

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,656 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted March 27, 2010 - 09:42 AM

I've been thinking on a rock sorter myself. I plan to try an attachment for my FEL. I figure to try an attachment made from either 3/4" rod spaced 1 1/2" or possibly 1/4"x1 flat stock spaced the same within a frame about 2' long, with the front faced with the same flat stock, but at an angle to form an edge. Have solid angled side ends. First till my garden, then just scoop up dirt, letting soil drop through. Continue ahead until I need to empty the rocks, etc. I have a lot of rocks in my garden, especially after my BILtilled it with his HD tiller on his SCUT. It went deep & brought up tons of rocks.

#8 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted March 27, 2010 - 08:26 PM

I've been thinking on a rock sorter myself. I plan to try an attachment for my FEL. I figure to try an attachment made from either 3/4" rod spaced 1 1/2" or possibly 1/4"x1 flat stock spaced the same within a frame about 2' long, with the front faced with the same flat stock, but at an angle to form an edge. Have solid angled side ends. First till my garden, then just scoop up dirt, letting soil drop through. Continue ahead until I need to empty the rocks, etc. I have a lot of rocks in my garden, especially after my BILtilled it with his HD tiller on his SCUT. It went deep & brought up tons of rocks.

I guess if you tilled i first and let it dry for a day or two then that might work.With the soil that I'am wanting to use it's from windrows of brushing that I had done 20 yrs ago.So lots of roots some pieces of not quite rotted wood and,wouldn't you know it rocks.Various sizes,up to big that I just pick out and push aside. I tried using some teeth like that a couple years ago,made it like a grapple,filled the bucket then closed it manually,tried shaking etc, but it didn't work to many roots.Next week is spring break here for the kids so maybe I'll have to take a drive in Winnipeg have a look around at scrap metal recyclers and see if I can find something to use,if not guess I'll just buy some new steel etc.It's easier to work with anyway.Larry.

#9 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted March 27, 2010 - 08:30 PM

About 10 yrs ago when I worked for a landscaping co. they had a rock bucket for the skid steer, 6ft wide, it looked just like a normal bucket except made from round solid bars, bottom and sides, had reinforcing between them, made with 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" (I think) bars, it worked good but you would always get stuff jammed in between the bars and as thick as they were they would still bend.