jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,837 Thanks
  • 1,434 posts

Posted September 07, 2016 - 03:42 PM

Man that is a shame, I'm sorry for your loss.

#17 adamjd200 ONLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,856 Thanks
  • 1,979 posts

Posted September 08, 2016 - 06:31 AM

Just gave JJ her morning bottle and spent about 1/2hr with her, I think it helps both of us to spend time together, she reminds me so much of her mom as a calf, she's doing well.

• KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#18 Greasy6020 ONLINE  

Greasy6020
  • Member No: 78477
  • 1,012 Thanks
  • 953 posts

Posted September 08, 2016 - 09:43 AM

Sorry about your loss.

I had an experience similar to you, I work on a dairy farm, I loved the jersey cow... Fast forward several years my boss didn't want to rebreed her due to being older with poor ground clearance with her udder. I wanted to bring her home, but I couldn't. She went on what me and my buddies call a "one way Ron way" to southern Ontario where she would be slaughtered.

The original jersey has 2 daughters currently being milked and one granddaughter, born premature but now is pail drinking trained.image.jpg
  • oldedeeres and adamjd200 have said thanks

#19 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • Member No: 48052
  • 314 Thanks
  • 630 posts

Posted September 08, 2016 - 10:06 PM

I normally don't post about this kind of stuff but my pet jersey cow Jesse was found dead in the pasture tonight(my dad found her while I was at work while feeding round bales), I raised her from a two week old calf, she was as friendly tame as a puppy.  She was 6years, 5months old, she is greatly missed by us and her 1week old heifer calf JJ(short for Jesse Jr.), R.I.P. Jesse 04/11/2010-09/06/2016.

Have you found out why you lost her??
Seems pretty young.
Hope JJ makes it.
  • adamjd200 said thank you

#20 adamjd200 ONLINE  

adamjd200
  • 1,856 Thanks
  • 1,979 posts

Posted September 08, 2016 - 10:14 PM

Have you found out why you lost her??
Seems pretty young.
Hope JJ makes it.

We are thinking stroke/aneurysm or similar, we will never know for sure, local rendering company came and got her body the next morning, no way I could've buried her with the equipment we have, after talking to several people this is the most likely scenario.  JJ is doing great, spent some time with her today, she loves to be petted and be the center of attention.

• KennyP said thank you

#21 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,807 Thanks
  • 3,355 posts

Posted September 09, 2016 - 03:21 AM

Dang that has to hurt!sorry to hear this.She wasn't bloated was she? Our old jersey Penelope ate some really green leafy grass and then got bloated.. and she passed before we could get to her. She was at least 12 though and had many calves,but none were ever a heifer all Bulls.
She was our source of milk back then along with Ada,a Guernsey she was a cranky old cow and would let you know real quick if you were not doing something right! Oh and we milked them by hand..That part I do not miss one bit.
That was many many moons ago... over 40 years..

#22 adamjd200 ONLINE  

adamjd200
  • 1,856 Thanks
  • 1,979 posts

Posted September 09, 2016 - 09:51 AM

Dang that has to hurt!sorry to hear this.She wasn't bloated was she? Our old jersey Penelope ate some really green leafy grass and then got bloated.. and she passed before we could get to her. She was at least 12 though and had many calves,but none were ever a heifer all Bulls.
She was our source of milk back then along with Ada,a Guernsey she was a cranky old cow and would let you know real quick if you were not doing something right! Oh and we milked them by hand..That part I do not miss one bit.
That was many many moons ago... over 40 years..

Not likely, grass is short here, been  dry all summer.

Edited by adamjd200, September 09, 2016 - 09:52 AM.

#23 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,807 Thanks
  • 3,355 posts

Posted September 09, 2016 - 09:55 AM

Nelly was awsome with everyone like your Jessy,it was Ada the Guernsey, that was a crabby old bovine. LOL

#24 adamjd200 ONLINE  

adamjd200
  • 1,856 Thanks
  • 1,979 posts

Posted September 09, 2016 - 08:55 PM

Nelly was awsome with everyone like your Jessy,it was Ada the Guernsey, that was a crabby old bovine. LOL

You caught me before I realized my mistake lol.  BTW, her name is spelled Jesse.

#25 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 3,655 Thanks
  • 2,146 posts

Posted September 09, 2016 - 10:30 PM

I am so sorry, everyone always says on how dumb cows are, but I think they are smarter then anything else. We had a Dexter named Dax. We got her at a year old for milking, she was really friendly, we would tie her out in the summer to eat grass, it really cut down on the mowing and hay. When it would get dry and the grass wouldn't come back very fast. We would tie her across the road on the fence post (on a short chain so she couldn't get in the road) Every 30 minutes I would move her down one post. Towards the end of the year she would be about a 1/4 mile away. She walked great on a lead, listened and knew commands.

We sold her when she was around 6 years old, we really hated to see her go but the summers were getting dry and we couldn't afford hay for her. We told the people that bought her, when she gets to old to milk we will buy her back.

I looked for a picture but I can't seem to find one.

Again, I am very sorry for your loss. Give JJ a pet from me.