• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 5,758 Thanks
  • 4,264 posts

Posted September 06, 2016 - 04:27 PM

We have been looking for a dog for over a month since we lost our last Pom the end of July.  Decided to try a rescue dog.  Came with a 30 day return.  First one lasted 2 weeks when he went back.  He would not get close to me and acted like he was going to tear my leg off if I went in the bedroom after Carolyn was in bed. 

Tried his brother, which was to be a lot more shy but got along with men OK.  He lasted 3 weeks.  First 2 weeks were fair.  Then all he wanted to do was lay in his bed, day and night.  If no one was in the house he would be up and about.  As soon as one of us came in, into his bed he went.  Sent him back as we felt he was lonely for other dogs as he had never been alone in his life and was 2 yo.

Looking through CL Saturday and found a 2 yo purebred, Black Pom.  Young couple with 2 young children.  Kids had no interest in the dog.  Couple did not have time to give him the attention he deserved.  Agreed on the price and home we came.  Was on my lap 90% of the hour trip.  He hit the RR window button on the driver side and scared hell out of me.  He wanted to get to that window.  Got it up and locked them so he could no lower one when he was at the door.  Same with the door locks.  Made the rest of the trip w/o incident.  Got home and was met with a leash for him.  No problem with the leash at all.  Ran up to the 6 yo granddaughter and put his front paws on her legs tail going 90 mph.  Has accepted the change extremely well, like he has been here all the time.  Love attention, loves to play with several toys with us or by himself.  Knows where his door is to go out into his pen.  Yep, going to keep him.  Goes to the vet next Tuesday for full check up and neutering.

• Gtractor, grnspot110, Alc and 6 others have said thanks

#2 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,047 Thanks
  • 4,977 posts

Posted September 06, 2016 - 06:27 PM

Beautiful pup!

Poms are such wonderful little dogs!

Mine was a great dog. I miss him so much still.
  • chieffan said thank you

#3 Alc ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,283 Thanks
  • 6,488 posts

Posted September 06, 2016 - 06:35 PM

Glad you found one that suited for you

#4 Gtractor ONLINE  

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,385 Thanks
  • 3,807 posts

Posted September 06, 2016 - 10:06 PM

Great looking friend!

We never had any luck with shelter dogs.  They seem to have abundant issues. Our last 3 dogs were all dogs that someone else dumped and they've all been good to great. 

Although this current lab has too much energy for me.  She wears me out.  Been here a year last Saturday.

#5 chieffan OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 5,758 Thanks
  • 4,264 posts

Posted September 07, 2016 - 06:54 AM

Those large dogs do have a ton of energy.  My Pyrenees mix is the same way.  Loves to run when we are mowing.  When he gets tired he heads for the pond to get cooled down.  He is really great with the 6 yo granddaughter.  He listens to her better than us.  Where ever she goes, so does Duke, at least close enough he can see her and knows where she is all the time.  Outside dog is a lot different than and house dog.

#6 Kmac1 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 62275
  • 517 Thanks
  • 218 posts

Posted September 07, 2016 - 09:29 PM

You really get attached to your pets, be it a dog, cat or other. We lost our son 15 years ago and to help his older sister cope with the loss we bought her a corgi pup. It really helped her heal as he helped us as well. She graduated high school 4 years later and off to college she went, her corgi stayed home with us. Fast forward 10 years rascal was moping around not being himself, not eating, drinking, nothing. Vet said cancer was n his kidneys and nothing could be done. My daughter came and spent the last day with him at the vet as he quietly passed in her lap. He was cremated and now sits on her mantel. It's tough when they are part of the family. That was over a year ago and we have not got another dog yet.
  • oldedeeres said thank you