skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,856 Thanks
  • 3,395 posts

Posted November 06, 2016 - 05:16 AM

You need to replace the entire spindle if it keeps killing bearings!! I have total loss lube systems on machines at work and bearings last for years and they run every day in a hostil enviroment with coolant, stress and grinding swarf ! Only time i find cronic failure is from miss alignment or out of round machining of bores or not being concentric.
And with grease you need a relief hole drilled so it doesnt kill the seals.
  • Gtractor and KennyP have said thanks

#17 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 8,793 Thanks
  • 4,773 posts

Posted June 10, 2017 - 10:37 PM

Well I made two full mowing this spring and the deck was getting noisy again.  Stopped the PTO and reached under the deck.....

Same spindle is bad again!!!!!!!!

I've used it for three more mowings [so far] but it'll soon be too bad to use.

Lots of slack in the bearings on that one spindle and it appears the bearing is completely gone.  Put in all new in September and kept it under cover all winter.  Also been running less RPM when mowing trying to get more time between replacements.

At this point I have totally given up on the mower.  I will fix the bad bearing once again, although I don't know why, and park it out back only to be used as a backup mower. 

Mounted up two good 400-15 tri ribs and put them on the Farmall Super "C" with the 6 foot Woods mower.  Greased everything and installed the deck belt.  Put in a battery and with a shot of gas in the tank it fired up immediately.  Been at least 2 years since that tractor has been started and it sat outside with no protection from rain.  Both idlers need new bearings but those were loud when I last used that mower in the 2011 mowing season - before I bought the King Cutter in February of 2012. 

If I thought I'd never need a backup mower I'd stick that piece of crap in a consignment auction.  :wallbanging:

• olcowhand, MH81, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#18 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 1,134 Thanks
  • 786 posts

Posted June 12, 2017 - 02:20 AM

Thank you for the great thread title.  don't know how i missed it before

• Gtractor said thank you