Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,574 Thanks
  • 3,897 posts

Posted September 06, 2016 - 11:51 AM

I have grown to absolutely hate my King Cutter brand 6 foot 3 point mount finish mower.

Some of the reasons may very well be operator error.  The mower sits outside all year.   My "abundant grease" policy for anything that moves is definitely a contributing factor in short bearing life.  I've decided I blow the top seal out of the spindle allowing rain water to enter rusting the top bearing.  However, with a correct design [like a Woods brand] that wouldn't be a factor.  I have the safety belt cover removed so I can blow the accumulated grass off after every mowing.  Although the cover would never keep all the rain off the deck it may help reduce the water pooling directly over the spindles. I do install the cover for the mowers winter sleep.

Here is a comparison:

King Cutter,  see how the top of the spindle is below the deck allowing rain water to pool on top of the spindle.  The K.C. pulleys are a three spoke design allowing rain water to hit the seal itself.

King 2.jpg

Here is a Woods brand.  Note how far the spindle assembly sticks up so rain water can't pond on the seal.  The Woods pulley is also solid so rain can't just fall ON the top seal.  Woods has to be submerged to allow water in the top. Pressure washing would also allow water in but I never pressure wash the decks - only blow them off with air compressor or leaf blower.

woods.jpg

I bought this King Cutter mower 4 +/- years ago at an estate auction.  When I bought it the bearings were basically out on one spindle.  Of course I didn't know that but no big deal. Only gave $400 for the mower.   Got several mowing out of it until it got too bad to continue.  Tore into it and noted new bearings and seals were all it needed.  Shaft was good.

O,O,O, O'Reillys had bearings and got me seals the next day.  The bearings were ball bearings.  Cheap but they didn't last long.  Seals were off the charts expensive.

A year later the same spindle went bad.  Got out the manual that came with the mower this time and studied.  

HEY!!!

The manual clearly shows taper roller bearings.  It had ball bearings in the offending spindle and that's what I put back in. 

Now I know why the one spindle doesn't last long.  Second time I put in the correct taper roller bearings thinking I'm done with replacing this one for many years. 

WRONG!!!

Lasted a year again.  Now I'm losing my mind.  Why do I have such short life from this one spindle?  The other two have not been touched other than a grease job every mowing without fail.

I just [last week] replaced the bearings in that one spindle again.  4 times in 4 years.

Since all spindles get grease at the same time and they each mow [turn] the same acres and turn the same speed I wonder whats going on. 

Studied the spindle as I tore it apart last week. Top seal [what was left of it] was out of its place.  I had blown the seal out with liberal amounts of grease.  Rain funneled into the spindle, rusting the top bearing chewing it up.  Bottom bearing was fine. 

I might also throw out there that the Woods brand has a grease weep hole in the spindle casing so grease pressure doesn't build up allowing the seal to be blown out.   King Cutter does not. 

This time I J. B. Welded the top seal in the housing.  [can be seen in the first picture]

I'll see if that helps any - be a year from now before I know. 

Next problem!

Look at the framework on the underside of the King Cutter deck so grass can't be thrown out. 

King 1.jpg

This mower leaves big balls of grass where it hits the framework and just drops right there instead of throwing it out the discharge chute.  Makes the yard look like total poo.  Globs here and globs there.  I have lots of weeds and don't fertilize. Not trying to look like a golf course but don't want the yard to look like it was 4 feet tall and got the brush cutter treatment every time.  &*()%&(#$$&*()!!  

The Woods mower has the framework on the top side where it doesn't effect the throwing of the clippings. 

I have no idea how old this mower is.  Maybe the newer ones have these two very serious problems corrected?   Sure hope so because this mower was made to sell- not to actually use!

When I get time I'm putting new tires on the front of the Farmall with the Woods  belly mower and this K.C. will be a backup mower only. 

That's enough ranting for now. 

Edited by Gtractor, September 06, 2016 - 11:54 AM.

• MH81, Alc, tractorgarden and 2 others have said thanks

#2 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,486 posts

Posted September 06, 2016 - 12:59 PM

If your greasing every mowing, unless you mow for 8 or 10 hours you are definitely over greasing.  Depends on the type of grease used also.  I have some I got at an auction that is green, in a white plastic tube, sticky, stringy and stiff at 80°.  Don't touch that gun below 60°.  My decks run for about 2 hours each mowing.  Grease one stroke in each spindle every third or fourth mowing.  The JD F525 is one it's 6th year and was used when I got it from a private party.  No problems yet. 
Abundant grease can be worse than not enough as you found out Kris.  Why only one spindle is effected, have no clue.  Stand the mower on edge when not in use.

• Gtractor, Cvans and Sawdust have said thanks

#3 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 7,653 posts

Posted September 06, 2016 - 01:06 PM

I wonder what would happen if you took a bearing from another spindle and switched on there. Could you have a bad spindle?

• Gtractor said thank you

#4 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,574 Thanks
  • 3,897 posts

Posted September 06, 2016 - 03:14 PM

Each mowing takes maybe 3 hours.  Maybe I need to grease every other mowing?

I'm convinced its rain getting in the bearing from the seal blowing out when greased.  That's why I J.B. Welded the top seal in this time.

The housing could be bad to where it doesn't hold the seal good.  ???  Don't think the spindle itself could cause the problem I'm having.

Again,  if it were kept inside my problem likely wouldn't happen.  The manufacturer has to know not everyone can put mowers inside.

Edited by Gtractor, September 06, 2016 - 03:16 PM.

#5 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 7,653 posts

Posted September 06, 2016 - 03:22 PM

But as you said, why only that one bearing? It would help with the rain if it had a top cap under the blade that over lapped the bearing house.

#6 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 987 Thanks
  • 669 posts

Posted September 06, 2016 - 09:22 PM

Some belt instability can cause the spindle first in line to the wobble to wear prematurely, it happens that way for me on a small deck. I had a bent idler that caused my belt to vibrate and the spindle in line with it wore out earlier than the others. Any vibration that is different for that spindle may be to blame.
  • Gtractor and Sawdust have said thanks

#7 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted September 06, 2016 - 09:31 PM

With water pooling on the top, how about drilling some drain holes thru the deck around the spindle housing. Or when you park it for the winter take the top link loose, lift it w/ the 3 pt arms and securely block it so it's slanted to stop water pooling. Have you checked the blade for balance on the one that keeps taking out brgs?

Mike

#8 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,574 Thanks
  • 3,897 posts

Posted September 06, 2016 - 09:54 PM

Thanx Mike, 

Never thought about blade balance but I put new blades on the mower year ago last spring.  They just got first sharpening last week. I know new blades could be out of balance but they really shouldn't be. 

I've decided this thing is going to be under a cover of some kind for the winter.

#9 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,574 Thanks
  • 3,897 posts

Posted September 14, 2016 - 10:18 PM

Had another breakdown on this so-called mower.  This is the fourth time a wheel has let go.  Forgot all about this problem.

Now I have both sides of both back wheels welded so maybe I'm done with this repair - I hope!

The Woods mower mowed MUCH more than I mow now for 20 years straight and only needed one wheel repair and that's because the keeper came out of the yoke and the wheel fell off and under the mower.  That Woods obliterated the wheel before I could stop the blades.   

4 years with this mower and 4 wheel repairs. Its a simple repair but why should it even need a repair?  

GRRRRRR!

Press-on sheet metal rim that is a tight enough fit onto the hub its supposed to hold.  *)%()^*$*)

mower wheel.jpg

Edited by Gtractor, September 14, 2016 - 10:20 PM.

• MH81 said thank you

#10 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 7,653 posts

Posted September 15, 2016 - 06:29 AM

Why don't you put this aggrivation behind you?

#11 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted September 15, 2016 - 06:56 AM

This has surely confirmed my thinking on the few dollars saved on the unit up at TSC over the independent shop is NOT worth having.

Sorry you've had such issues but thanks from saving me of having the same issues !

• Gtractor and MH81 have said thanks

#12 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted September 15, 2016 - 07:03 AM

Or send King Cutter a link to the forum page?
  • KennyP said thank you

#13 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,574 Thanks
  • 3,897 posts

Posted October 08, 2016 - 09:55 AM

Why don't you put this aggrivation behind you?

I'd shoot it but then I'd be using a mower with a bullet hole.   :rolling:

OH!  And it IS behind me.  Its 3 point mount.  :poke:

Edited by Gtractor, October 08, 2016 - 09:56 AM.

• MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#14 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,087 posts

Posted November 05, 2016 - 11:55 AM

Hmm, have you checked the bearing races for damage from having the wrong stuff in there before?

A cheap 3 dollar tarp, or maybe a 5 gallon bucket may solve the rain water problems?

Edited by stiemmy, November 05, 2016 - 11:56 AM.

#15 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,574 Thanks
  • 3,897 posts

Posted November 05, 2016 - 02:39 PM

It gets new races with every bearing replacement. 

$3 tarps last less than 24 hours here.  Wind shreds them. 

$50 tarps last less than 3 months.   

I put the belt cover back on - that should turn 50% of the rain water. 

• stiemmy said thank you