• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • Member No: 46660
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted September 06, 2016 - 09:53 AM

Yesterday I removed a Kohler Command 20hp engine from a Cub Cadet 2000 series tractor. I am planning to repower my HT20 with this motor, as the K532 in it needs rebuilt. However, I have a few questions from those who have done a similar swap..

Which stub shafts do I need to order from Kohler?

This motor currently has an electric PTO on the backside (front of the cub cadet) and a driveshaft off the front (which is actually the backside on the cub cadet). It was a weird driveshaft setup, as it basically just inserted into the motor and had little rubber cylinder looking things that went around the sprocket looking end of the driveshaft (I will probably have to post pictures for this to make sense). I know i'll need stub shafts for the front and rear since I want to use this tractor to mow and run implements. Does anyone have the part numbers for those? Can the electric PTO be utilized? (if not... I wonder what I could use it for)

I can fabricate a bracket for this motor.. but I was curious...does anyone have a cad drawing or sketch of one with the necessary measurements?

Lastly, exhaust? Any suggestions on that? I don't plan on modifying my factory muffler to work. Does Anyone have a suggestion or pictures of a repowered HT and their exhaust setup?

Any parts suggestions or input is greatly appreciated. I'm hoping to finally get this ball rolling. The last year has been a struggle between job loses, deaths, and everything else that could be thrown at us. I basically had to mothball everything I was working on, or needed to work on the last year due to everything. Hopefully, I can get this project moving and greet 2017 with some open arms lol. 

Thanks,

Nick

• Paulgo said thank you

#2 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 855 Thanks
  • 567 posts

Posted September 06, 2016 - 01:18 PM

Hey Nick,

See my reply from your earlier thread- it may offer some help. http://gardentractor...-ht20/?p=636447

• nglauer said thank you

#3 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted September 06, 2016 - 01:38 PM

Hey Nick,

See my reply from your earlier thread- it may offer some help. http://gardentractor...-ht20/?p=636447

Austen! Thank you for attaching that. I completely forgot I had posted a thread in the past. It's been very hectic the last 12 months. I finally pulled the command out of the Cub and am ready to start pulling the K532 out of the Bolens. I just need to get my ducks in a row before moving to far forward. Part of me wants to call up Lakota Racing and build a hot CH20 lol... but sadly I don't see a pulling tractor happening anytime soon (but maybe one day). Until then, I just need something that'll mow my yard without killing me. I absolutely loath the huskee GT that I inherited, but am glad to have it.. as it's been my go to mower along with my lawnboy push mower while the Bolens is down. 

Thanks again!

Nick

• Austen said thank you

#4 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 855 Thanks
  • 567 posts

Posted September 06, 2016 - 01:56 PM

Austen! Thank you for attaching that. I completely forgot I had posted a thread in the past. It's been very hectic the last 12 months. I finally pulled the command out of the Cub and am ready to start pulling the K532 out of the Bolens. I just need to get my ducks in a row before moving to far forward. Part of me wants to call up Lakota Racing and build a hot CH20 lol... but sadly I don't see a pulling tractor happening anytime soon (but maybe one day). Until then, I just need something that'll mow my yard without killing me. I absolutely loath the huskee GT that I inherited, but am glad to have it.. as it's been my go to mower along with my lawnboy push mower while the Bolens is down. 

Thanks again!

Nick

No problem, man! Sounds like a good plan. :thumbs: Be sure to post the project on the forums. 

Haha, a 'built' motor would be kind of fun, wouldn't it. These v-twins have a nice sound to them already and make pretty good power up top but a more aggressive cam would make it sound like a Harley. :D

• nglauer said thank you

#5 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted September 06, 2016 - 01:58 PM

Hey nick, The ch20 will be a nice swap. I just sent a repower kit to a different member here using the close to the same setup. He just used a new CH730 motor we sent him. As for the stub shaft wiring harness kit and exhaust pipe i have those in stock. As for the exhaust pipe setup it exhaust out the left side and if a flange is welded to it you should be able to use the factory muffler with out a change. Not sure you still have my number but send a pm if interested.

• EricFromPa and nglauer have said thanks

#6 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted September 06, 2016 - 07:15 PM

bhts - do you know which two stub shafts i will need? I'm looking forward to getting the HT20 running. I contemplated doing the swap into my HT23, but i figured i would keep it all original (unless i find a great deal on a bigger motor one day).

Thanks again!
Nick

#7 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted September 06, 2016 - 07:16 PM

I might retain the factory muffler.... but i like the idea of doing another stainless magnaflow like the one i used on my HT23

#8 bprzyw OFFLINE  

bprzyw
  • Member No: 53276
  • 92 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted September 08, 2016 - 12:08 PM

Nick,
The stub shafts should be on page 18 of the pdf file I uploaded the other day. BHTS was talking about me, as I picked up the repower supplies from him, so he should be able to help there. Good luck, should not be a hard project.
  • nglauer and stacyg have said thanks

#9 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted September 08, 2016 - 02:59 PM

Nick,
The stub shafts should be on page 18 of the pdf file I uploaded the other day. BHTS was talking about me, as I picked up the repower supplies from him, so he should be able to help there. Good luck, should not be a hard project.

I haven't pulled the Bolens apart to measure the front and rear shafts yet. I was just curious which model number stub shafts I should order. I'd like to get some stuff headed this way so I can begin tearing it apart. If I have time this weekend, I plan on pulling the motor on my HT23 so that I can replace the starter and front hydraulic lines. Once it's completed, I plan on setting it up with the snow plow or blower "awaiting" the inevitable snow that will probably hit Ohio later this year. I just need to shuffle stuff around and finish some other projects because I have a project boat that needs in the garage before winter gets here.... I realllllly just need a yard sale... I have way to much stuff in my garage lol.

#10 Paulgo OFFLINE  

Paulgo
  • Member No: 68759
  • 594 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted September 08, 2016 - 04:17 PM

I haven't pulled the Bolens apart to measure the front and rear shafts yet. I was just curious which model number stub shafts I should order. I'd like to get some stuff headed this way so I can begin tearing it apart. If I have time this weekend, I plan on pulling the motor on my HT23 so that I can replace the starter and front hydraulic lines. Once it's completed, I plan on setting it up with the snow plow or blower "awaiting" the inevitable snow that will probably hit Ohio later this year. I just need to shuffle stuff around and finish some other projects because I have a project boat that needs in the garage before winter gets here.... I realllllly just need a yard sale... I have way to much stuff in my garage lol.

Just throwing this out there. Are you sure you need to order anything? Maybe your old engine parts will match?  Paul

#11 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted September 08, 2016 - 05:32 PM

I thought the k532 shaft on one side was part of the rotating assembly. As for the other side, I'm not sure