Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Total noob looking for advice on what to buy.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 secondtry ONLINE  

• Member No: 83632
  • 260 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted September 08, 2016 - 11:48 PM

I have several garden tractors, 2 Minneapolis Moline row crop, and a Ford 8n with pipe frame loader. None of them will do all you are asking for. The closest you can come is to buy new with factory attachments. I have a friend who bought a John deere  system that would satisfy your needs  12000$ range. Unless you enjoy mechanic  work, have or enjoy buying tools. have or are willing to build a functional shop. and have time to waste. You will be better off buying the system. Research  is key. Being a computer nerd you know what sounds fantastic to a nob can be total junk.  For instance the 2, 8, and 9N fords which were basically the same tractor are not good for a brush hog. the pto design is flawed. The output shaft is smaller than standard, when the pto is in gear it is coupled to the  transmission in such a way that it only runs when the clutch is engaged. If the transmission is in neutral with the clutch engadged the shaft turns. when you push the clutch you must wait for the shaft and the driven implement to stop before you shift the transmission into gear. When you start to travel and work with the impalement the engine must provide power to start the impliment and the tractor travel both at the same time. If you are trying to restart in a cut you are out of luck. With the tractors it is likely you are similar to me when I go to buy a computer. I don't even know what questions to ask. I recomend you find competent and trustworthy help and hire it if you have to   Don    

• Paulgo said thank you

• Member No: 84305
  • 226 Thanks
  • 222 posts

Posted September 09, 2016 - 05:34 AM

3 or 4k for a nice 8n with a few attachments, and the 15-20k you save over something new will go a long way to keeping an 8n in service.

The 2n and 9n do not have a live pto, however the 8n does, and i see 8ns running modern implements all the time, the smaller pto shaft is news to me.

Not trying to be offensive, juat saying

#18 Alc OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,291 Thanks
  • 6,494 posts

Posted September 09, 2016 - 05:44 AM

You mentioned you would like to " put the land to use "   are you going to just make a lawn , or pasture for animals maybe grow crops ?