• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 Xrperry ONLINE  

Xrperry
  • Member No: 73285
  • 265 Thanks
  • 310 posts

Posted September 06, 2016 - 12:43 PM

just 3 days ago my friend loaned out his wheeled weed whacker. the person brought it back, said to was blowing smoke and oil everywhere. he thought the oil level was low and filled it up all the way to the top of filler neck.lol. well at least he checked it !!!. i guess he missed the writing on dipstick

• MH81 and bbuckler have said thanks

#17 Xrperry ONLINE  

Xrperry
  • Member No: 73285
  • 265 Thanks
  • 310 posts

Posted September 06, 2016 - 12:47 PM

i also seen a push mower with the blade hose clamped on, a piece of wood hammered on a front axle in place of c-clip, engines bale wired on,2 ropes around front axle to steer, rags stuffed in tires, coffee can for gas tank, 

• bbuckler said thank you

#18 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,309 Thanks
  • 936 posts

Posted September 06, 2016 - 12:57 PM

i also seen a push mower with the blade hose clamped on, a piece of wood hammered on a front axle in place of c-clip, engines bale wired on,2 ropes around front axle to steer, rags stuffed in tires, coffee can for gas tank, 

Some of that is Magyver stuff to finish the job. Its the guys that screw up new stuff right out of the box that need to stay on the couch and pay someone to do it for them

• adamjd200 said thank you

#19 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted September 06, 2016 - 03:50 PM

I don't believe you have to ha e anyone sign anything. Private sale implies no warranty. I've never had an issue. I just tell people to shove it where the sun don't shine and don't respond to their calls anymore

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
  • olcowhand and MH81 have said thanks

#20 Jack OFFLINE  

Jack
  • Member No: 9304
  • 1,127 Thanks
  • 771 posts

Posted September 06, 2016 - 07:22 PM

I sold a craftsman rider to a guy one morning when my wife was having a yard sale.   The guy that bought it said he just lived a couple blocks down the street and would just ride it home.   Shortly after  I had to leave for work.  Just after I got to work the wife calls and tells me the guy was back with it and wanted his money back.   Says every time he would engage the deck the engine quits. I told her to just give him the money and I would look at it when I got home.  Some other guys were there looking at it as soon as he left and said he hit something and bent the deck housing so far the blades could not spin.  They bought it on the spot for the same money.  So it all worked out in the end. But I really wanted to see that guy and stick my fist on the end of his nose.  I guess its best our paths never crossed again.   

• olcowhand, MH81, Alc and 2 others have said thanks

#21 olds45512 OFFLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 609 Thanks
  • 349 posts

Posted September 07, 2016 - 07:15 AM

I don't give refunds either, I don't care what the issue is. If I sell a piece of old equipment it's as is, I don't know why people expect to buy something 30 or 40yrs old and not have to work on it occasionally. Recently my wifes friend sold a broken kids toy, the guy that bought it knew it was broken but was confident he could fix it. After a few days he called wanting his money back and she gave it to him because she was all worried about her reputation on Facebook, I guess she was concerned the guy would go on Facebook and make a big deal about it which is apparently how things are handled these days. I told my wife that's just another reason I don't need Facebook, if that were me I'd tell the guy to pound sand but not in such nice terms.
  • MH81, HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks

#22 Austin ONLINE  

Austin
  • Admin
  • Staff
  • Member No: 78762
  • 506 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted September 07, 2016 - 09:52 AM

My uncle for got to have him sign one.

That's a shame. That can really make a difference when it comes to things like this. 

• bbuckler said thank you

#23 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,084 Thanks
  • 1,889 posts

Posted September 07, 2016 - 12:00 PM

Found he cut the light wires too and it is a clean cut so it was done with cutters
  • MH81 said thank you

#24 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted September 07, 2016 - 02:29 PM

i guess the dipstick missed the writing.

Fixed it.
  • Austin said thank you

#25 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,084 Thanks
  • 1,889 posts

Posted September 07, 2016 - 07:30 PM

I think I need to start offering a class to teach people how to properly operate lawn equipment. Had to many idiots stop to look at mowers today. 

• MH81 said thank you

#26 Reed Breneman OFFLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • Member No: 72922
  • 414 Thanks
  • 180 posts

Posted September 08, 2016 - 08:34 AM

I love it when people buy a tool or mower off of you ,Do the job they wanted to do then return thr tool or mower and claim its defective,,,thats crap.I love my brother but he is the king of this ,When ever he needs a special tool,One he probably wont need again for a long time instead of renting it ,He buys it ,Does the job and returns it as defective .When I called him on it he said it saved him lots of money this way,I said but its not right he could rent the tool and he said why rent when he could get it for free this way,apparently lots of people do this as I saw when I worked for our local farm store,,Tools went out and came back lots of times with nothing wrong when they were checked out in back,The return counter people are told not to argue with the customer  and most things are not inspected so nothing is questioned,We even sold larger ticket items that came back as defective with used parts installed,They bought it removed the parts they needed to fix there own tool or machine ,Installed thier junk parts and returned it :mad2:

• Gtractor, MH81, Alc and 2 others have said thanks

#27 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,858 Thanks
  • 3,195 posts

Posted September 08, 2016 - 12:10 PM

We learned a long time ago to never lend anything that we valued or wanted back. If it was a friend asking, My Olde Deere would take the item over and help him do the job, then have a coffee and come home with the tool/implement intact. Kept friendships intact as well. Sure, maybe he got "used" a time or two, but when that happened he was very capable of saying "no" the next time. People learned.
  • Alc and Bmerf have said thanks

#28 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted September 08, 2016 - 07:46 PM

I love it when people buy a tool or mower off of you ,Do the job they wanted to do then return thr tool or mower and claim its defective,,,:

Back when I was just starting out with my first home and a lower income I did this a lot at lowes. Mainly specialized power tools that you use once every few years.

I don't do it anymore but I honestly needed to do work in my home and did not have the cash to buy them, and most of the stuff I needed no one rented locally. That doesn't make it right and I feel bad about it now.

Edited by toomanytoys84, September 08, 2016 - 07:47 PM.

• Gtractor, MH81, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#29 Reed Breneman OFFLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • Member No: 72922
  • 414 Thanks
  • 180 posts

Posted September 08, 2016 - 09:32 PM

Back when I was just starting out with my first home and a lower income I did this a lot at lowes. Mainly specialized power tools that you use once every few years.

I don't do it anymore but I honestly needed to do work in my home and did not have the cash to buy them, and most of the stuff I needed no one rented locally. That doesn't make it right and I feel bad about it now.

Sorry I didnt mean to bring out repressed memories ,I sure havent been an angel all my life either,But I know what your saying.I use to look at my father inlaws shop and only dream and wonder how I would ever have tools like that,Now after 28 years of working my butt off I have a better shop then he or I could have dreamed of and as I grow older (50) financially life seems easier for my wife and I.We are not rich or even well off but we are close to debt free.The house is ours next sept and the shop I bought will be our in 3 years,Thats all we owe on all our other stuff is ours,Back when we were first together we would work our butts off and wonder how we were gonna afford toilet paper!!!

• Gtractor, MH81 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#30 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 343 Thanks
  • 320 posts

Posted September 08, 2016 - 09:58 PM

I stopped at harbor freight and bought an in line spark tester. Never tried one before. The cashier told me that if I returned it and it wasn't broken there would be a restocking fee. I ask If it works why would I bring it back? He says people do it all the time.     For 5 bucks! Probably spend that on gas bringing it back.   Don    

• MH81, oldedeeres and Reed Breneman have said thanks