• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 5,472 Thanks
  • 3,297 posts

Posted September 05, 2016 - 05:01 PM

A good friend of mine is down sizing in preparation of selling his farm for something easier to take care of. I was telling him about cutting some field grass & weeds around our property with a weed eater & brush cutter attachment. This works good but it takes me a couple of days to get over it with two metal shoulder joints. I hurt bad when I over do it. He told me he had a trail mower I could have if I wanted it. He said it needs a little work & should work very well. I offered to pay him but he wouldn't have it any other way.

I had been looking at TM & wanted a Swisher bad but was expecting something smaller & needed a lot of work but I would have been happy either way. I met him early Saturday morning to pick it up & seen him coming across his field pulling it from the barn to the road. My first thought was ok it's red, four wheels, huge & sure enough it was exactly what I have been looking at but couldn't trigger the $600-$800 that they sell for.

I got it home & cleaned the mouse nest out of the shroud. It wouldn't start so I pulled the plug, no oil residue, good color but dry. I shot some gas down the carb first pull & it started, ran well, & very solid. He told me the B&S went bad a few years ago & he repowered using a 14.5 hp Kawasaki pull start. I know nothing about Kawasaki's but will be gaining some knowledge soon. I have a busy week this week but next I will check the fuel line etc. The gas in the tank smells fresh. It's a 60" with a model # T1360R serial # 99-011025 & the Kawasaki FB460V. Any input on your experience with one of these let me know. Thanks!

Pic1.jpg Pic2.jpg Pic3.jpg Pic4.jpg

• Alc, KennyP, Cvans and 5 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 36,559 Thanks
  • 44,996 posts

Posted September 05, 2016 - 05:38 PM

Nice score for you on that! Should ease things a bit!

• boyscout862, Sawdust and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#3 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 13,541 Thanks
  • 9,828 posts

Posted September 05, 2016 - 05:56 PM

Keep that Kawi clean and it will serve you well for years. Very well built engines.

• Sawdust and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#4 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,285 posts

Posted September 05, 2016 - 07:45 PM

Hey Sawdust great deal, I'm very interested in following your experience with the mower I'm looking to buying a rough cut version so this is a timely post. You'll like the Kawi very good engines

#5 greenb69 OFFLINE  

greenb69
  • Member No: 65681
  • 270 Thanks
  • 210 posts

Posted September 06, 2016 - 07:55 AM

Always nice to know there are still good people out there and willing to give to others. I will follow your discussion. I have thought about one of these also and will enjoy seeing how it works for you. Should make life better for you.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

#6 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,195 Thanks
  • 5,795 posts

Posted September 09, 2016 - 02:55 PM

Did you kiss him? :D

#7 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 5,472 Thanks
  • 3,297 posts

Posted September 09, 2016 - 05:09 PM

Did you kiss him? :D

I hope your not being sarcastic. I'm not sure how to take your comment. The answer is no. We did give each other a manly hug with a couple slaps on the back like Christian brothers do.
  • holdenboy1960 and MNGB have said thanks

#8 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 13,541 Thanks
  • 9,828 posts

Posted September 09, 2016 - 07:31 PM

Have you tried it out yet?
  • Sawdust said thank you

#9 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 5,472 Thanks
  • 3,297 posts

Posted September 09, 2016 - 08:39 PM

Have you tried it out yet?

Not yet. I pulled the fuel line off & it was clear. The tank had some deposits inside caked around the shut off valve. There was no in line filter so once I check everything I'll put one on. I'm going to take the tank off tomorrow & clean it. I will also take the carb fuel bowl off & check that. I've had a busy week & haven't had much time to play.
  • holdenboy1960 and MNGB have said thanks

#10 holdenboy1960 OFFLINE  

holdenboy1960
  • Member No: 62113
  • 1,749 Thanks
  • 941 posts

Posted October 06, 2016 - 07:12 AM

Nice score and hope it works as you want it to

Shane
  • Sawdust and MNGB have said thanks

#11 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,195 Thanks
  • 5,795 posts

Posted October 06, 2016 - 12:12 PM

No harm meant that's just something my Grand Daddy used to ask when you got a good deal. Nice mower

• KennyP, Sawdust and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#12 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 5,472 Thanks
  • 3,297 posts

Posted October 06, 2016 - 07:52 PM

No harm meant that's just something my Grand Daddy used to ask when you got a good deal. Nice mower

No problem that's good to hear, glad you got back with me on that one.

#13 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 5,472 Thanks
  • 3,297 posts

Posted October 06, 2016 - 07:58 PM

I pulled the fuel bowl off & it was full of jell. I cleaned that out, replaced the fuel line & put a fliter on. It started right up & ran well until it started flooding. I'm going to take the carb off & rebuild it.

I really want to try this thing out before winter. The field areas I cut have some slightly more than surface rocks I need to get rid of also. Stay tuned.
  • holdenboy1960 said thank you

#14 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 5,472 Thanks
  • 3,297 posts

Posted June 01, 2017 - 08:20 AM

No it never took me this long to rebuild the carb but I'm back at it again. A few days ago I was going to rebuild the carb until I seen how expensive the parts were. I'm not sure how this mower will work for me so I couldn't justify spending around $60. for parts. I did take it apart & clean everything. The third pull & it started right up. It runs very well, sounds strong & smooth. My friend told me he put a spring on the throttle to pull it back down but it was wrong so I'll have to find out what spring should go there. It throttles down but not all the way.

The next morning I noticed gas all over the deck, I only had a little gas in the tank but found a bunch of tiny teeth marks on the fuel line from the tank to the carb. When I had it apart I noticed one of the wires had been chewed also...rotten varmint's!  :shoot2:

17.jpg 19.jpg 20.jpg 21.jpg

I really wanted to use this mower asap but the more I looked at it the worse it looked. All the spindles are slanted due to weak areas on the deck. Nothing looks like it's been maintained in a long time. I took the engine off, disconnected the deck from the frame so I could inspect the underneath. This thing is like working on a car...very heavy.

5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg

Wow what a mess. It looks like this thing mowed a few rocks. We're in Pendleton County, Ky & what clay we don't have we have plenty of rocks. I have two field areas I try to keep cut with a weed eater about once a month. The two years we have lived here I have been digging & piling rocks so I can run a mower in these areas. I pulled the spindles off, this went very well considering one had the best lock washer you can have...a tack weld. :mad2: . The one spindle that had the weld I may have to replace because it isn't spinning too freely. I'll take it apart to see if I can salvage it. I really don't want to put much money in this project until I see how well this mower works for me. I do want to do things right especially make it safe to use. If it does work out well I'll rebuild the deck with some reinforcing plates, repair some welds the PO done & clean it up with some fresh paint.

10.jpg 11.jpg 13.jpg 14.jpg 15.jpg

• MNGB said thank you

#15 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,748 Thanks
  • 5,583 posts

Posted June 01, 2017 - 09:02 AM

Well, it looked like a good deal, but that thing is a mess. Hope you can rebuild it for cheap and it works for you. I've always wanted a TM, even thought about building my own.

• Sawdust said thank you