• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • Member No: 70148
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted September 05, 2016 - 10:36 AM

We are experiencing high humidity which I know does not go well when trying to paint metal. Anyone have the problem and solution for it?

Thinking a heat lamp and fan will work to stop dew from developing between sanding, the bare metal oxidizes almost immediately, plus the humidity plays havoc with trying to apply masking tape etc. Not sure of how the fan and heat lamp with effect drying paint.

#2 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,065 posts

Posted September 05, 2016 - 05:05 PM

I've always experienced too heat and fast drying causing orange peel I think they call it.

I painted my fiberglass hard hat last winter and put it by a fan and a regular bulb and the paint all rippled and looks funny.
  • Eric and Phluphy have said thanks

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,345 Thanks
  • 39,627 posts

Posted September 05, 2016 - 05:30 PM

High humidity wreaks havoc with paint.

• Phluphy said thank you

#4 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,679 Thanks
  • 8,882 posts

Posted September 05, 2016 - 05:58 PM

We are experiencing high humidity

Now here's someone who is cool, calm, and collected. Calls a hurricane that passed through 'high humidity conditions'.

• KennyP and Phluphy have said thanks

#5 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 987 Thanks
  • 669 posts

Posted September 05, 2016 - 08:14 PM

Humidity is a problem for primer due to it being ports and it absorbs the water as soon as it is laid down. No fix just climate control! You can shoot some exotic paint in high moisture climates but the expense is exorbitant and the procedures mind numbing. For best results if you must paint is thin it down and add hardener to your primer and paint so as to have it dry as fast as possible, the result will still be not in line with the quality of paint you will get in a better environment but will be okay. If your talking about piss cans then the issue is null and void because the result will always be sub par due to the nature of the application.
  • Phluphy said thank you

#6 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • Member No: 70148
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted September 09, 2016 - 08:56 PM

Did and done, heat lamp>fan worked. No orange peel, blistering, or other indication of trapped moisture. All good but, not going that route again. Sealing and ventilating the shop next time, with a/c running.

• Eric said thank you