Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted September 04, 2016 - 09:20 PM

I Mowed the 3 acres yesterday and cleaned up RED (no water was used) and put him away. I needed to move him out to make some room in the shop and noticed the amp gauge was not charging. I fiddled with the ignition switch connector, no change, I checked the dual diode connector, no change, Went to the stator connector coming out of the engine shroud, I got an intermittent 5A charge. I cleaned the connector and checked the voltage, it was around 30VAC but fluxinating, no change in the charging amps. If I slightly tug on the wire coming from under the shroud I get a 5A indication, as soon as I let go, it stops charging. I am assuming a ground issue on the stator. Have to pull the flywheel tomorrow to check it out. I have a spare single wire stator just in case.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1170303.jpg
  • P1170304.jpg
  • P1170306.jpg
  • P1170308.jpg

• MH81, Alc, Traill95 and 1 other said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,320 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted September 04, 2016 - 09:31 PM

Hope it's that simple. Good luck
  • larrybl and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,665 posts

Posted September 04, 2016 - 09:39 PM

I Mowed the 3 acres yesterday and cleaned up RED (no water was used) and put him away. I needed to move him out to make some room in the shop and noticed the amp gauge was not charging. I fiddled with the ignition switch connector, no change, I checked the dual diode connector, no change, Went to the stator connector coming out of the engine shroud, I got an intermittent 5A charge. I cleaned the connector and checked the voltage, it was around 30VAC but fluxinating, no change in the charging amps. If I slightly tug on the wire coming from under the shroud I get a 5A indication, as soon as I let go, it stops charging. I am assuming a ground issue on the stator. Have to pull the flywheel tomorrow to check it out. I have a spare single wire stator just in case.

The stator windings are isolated from ground.  What you have is a bad wire or connection.  The fact that you can fiddle with it and it works is good news.  Pop ther flywheel and fix the connection or wire

• larrybl and MH81 have said thanks

#4 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted September 04, 2016 - 09:50 PM

No, the single wire stator is grounded. I have a video about this.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted September 04, 2016 - 09:52 PM

Yes, will be simple, Have had this engine apart several times. Just A pain as I am working on other things. 

#6 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted September 04, 2016 - 10:08 PM

Oh, forgot to mention the reason for moving RED out was for a camp out and Movie night in the shop. 

• MH81 and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#7 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted September 05, 2016 - 02:02 AM

How many amp is the single wire stator? Will it be enough for your electric pto?

You would be better off finding one off of a newer briggs vanguard twin stators and a voltage regulator and do away with the diodes completely.They are a good bit heavier and reliable than the diode system and the single wire stator.

That's the nice thing about a briggs.Lots of parts are interchangeable.I used a brass float out of an opposed twin and a coil out of a OHV Vanguard in my cast iron single.And used a hi torque Vanguard single starter on a V-Twin vanguard.Tried an old L head 10hp briggs starter on the V-Twin but didn't have enough torque.

Here's a set for $66.25 shipped

http://www.ebay.com/...MsAAOSw65FXwHG~

Price is a little high but it will get the job done nicely.You can see in the pics how heavy the windings are.

• larrybl and Alc have said thanks

#8 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted September 05, 2016 - 07:52 AM

How many amp is the single wire stator? Will it be enough for your electric pto?

You would be better off finding one off of a newer briggs vanguard twin stators and a voltage regulator and do away with the diodes completely.They are a good bit heavier and reliable than the diode system and the single wire stator.

That's the nice thing about a briggs.Lots of parts are interchangeable.I used a brass float out of an opposed twin and a coil out of a OHV Vanguard in my cast iron single.And used a hi torque Vanguard single starter on a V-Twin vanguard.Tried an old L head 10hp briggs starter on the V-Twin but didn't have enough torque.

Here's a set for $66.25 shipped

http://www.ebay.com/...MsAAOSw65FXwHG~

Price is a little high but it will get the job done nicely.You can see in the pics how heavy the windings are.

The single wire stator is OEM at 9A, RED, Hulk II, and BOH all have the same stators, electric PTO's, and dual diode assemblies. Should be a simple fix of loosening and re-tightening the stator bolts.

Edited by larrybl, September 05, 2016 - 07:53 AM.

#9 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 927 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted September 05, 2016 - 09:40 AM

No, the single wire stator is grounded. I have a video about this.

You are correct I agree

#10 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,665 posts

Posted September 05, 2016 - 11:49 AM

I stand corrected..  Learn something new every day!   :booboo:

So only one wire from behind the flywheel to the Regulator..  Never been into one of those before..

#11 greenb69 ONLINE  

greenb69
  • Member No: 65681
  • 268 Thanks
  • 210 posts

Posted September 05, 2016 - 12:02 PM

Shouldn't this be listed under the gt addiction thread. What gives with the bed next to the gt's in the workshop. LOL.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

#12 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted September 05, 2016 - 01:55 PM

I was going to ask if you had to sleep in the garage! :poke:

#13 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted September 05, 2016 - 02:06 PM

We (Grandson and I)regularly camp out here and watch movies on the big screen with Surround sound. As for the single wire stator, it is pretty simple. I am putting RED back together now, Wait till you see what the issue was.

Attached Thumbnails

• Briggs Wire sm.jpg

#14 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted September 05, 2016 - 03:33 PM

Removed the hood, and top engine shroud. Looks still pretty clean in there. Good time to inspect the nylon starter gear, not too bad. Found some missing side shroud bolts. Pulled the flywheel and found some more missing / loose bolts.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1170313.jpg
  • P1170314.jpg
  • P1170315.jpg
  • P1170316.jpg
  • P1170317.jpg
  • P1170318.jpg
  • P1170320.jpg

• MH81 said thank you

#15 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted September 05, 2016 - 03:34 PM

The issue I was after was ovious, The whole stator was loose. I found that the screws I used before were a tad too long. (I wonder why the charging issue haddent popped up before). I found the correct screws, but one hole was stripped, so I re-tapped it with a 24/10. I replaced the missing shroud bolts. I covered the carb and took the air hose and blew everything out including under the flywheel. I buttoned everything back up and pushed him out side. He fired right up and had a good 5A charge going at a 1/4 throttle. I checked the lights, and let him run for about 10 minuets, the amp guage was at 3A when I turned him off.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1170321.jpg
  • P1170322.jpg
  • P1170323.jpg
  • P1170324.jpg
  • P1170326.jpg
  • P1170327.jpg
  • P1170329.jpg
  • P1170334.jpg
  • P1170336.jpg

Edited by larrybl, September 05, 2016 - 03:35 PM.

• MH81 said thank you