• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#76 oldcuz OFFLINE  

oldcuz
  • Member No: 84076
  • 65 Thanks
  • 105 posts

Posted September 25, 2016 - 08:00 PM

Back on track went and picked up the 210 parts tractor today it had a complete engine on it and a new
carb said it had a broke rod or something been rebuilt had the rod cap to tight sound like bad deal but
everything I need is there and I got another suppose to be good engine with it ? guess I'll find out.

Has a good deck, tires, seat that I need and a better hood than on mine, side panels, carb breather,
its a fixable tractor but the 1st one is in a little better shape so I'll fix it first then I will have
a complete hopefully running tractor.

Think the 1st thing I will do is mount the engine on the 1st 210 then get it running and if all's good
I can move on to step 2

I am kinda learning these 210's and will know what I need if I find a piece here and there maybe.

Merle013 was right that I needed a parts tractor with me needing all those missing parts and that would
have cost a lot more than what I gave for this one, Thanks Merle013

I will post some new photos soon this new job is taking up way to much of my tractor time
  • KennyP and Merle013 have said thanks

#77 pidjones OFFLINE  

pidjones
  • Member No: 76750
  • 56 Thanks
  • 42 posts

Posted October 01, 2016 - 09:08 PM

If you think that you will need to go into that engine, I'd hold off on mounting it yet. Although there are many things that you can do to the upper end of it mounted, you'll probably have to pull it back out to get to the bottom end.
  • oldcuz said thank you

#78 oldcuz OFFLINE  

oldcuz
  • 65 Thanks
  • 105 posts

Posted October 02, 2016 - 09:59 AM

pidjones - that's good advice cause it is hard to get this motor in and out by your self well for a old man it is, well once again I am still in need of a motor cause I apparently don't know of all the
different types of K241 kohler motors that's out there when I went to pick up the parts tractor he had
the extra motor sitting there and I noticed it was dull red but it had the mounting tabs on both ends
and I could change the oil pan out and it would work the man that sold it to me works on and sells
riding mowers and took his word for it, well his word don't mean nothing it might have work with a oil
pan change but the mule drive would not bolt to it and the crankshaft is bigger maybe 1 1/8" and all
the pulleys will not work.

Even with the engine not useable the parts that I needed was all there and more than made up for the
motor drama and I still need a repower motor for my Sears SS/Twin witch does use a 1 1/8" pulley
its sitting on it now and I can make it work on it cause the oil pan sits flat on the Sears and that
is how the Onan motor sit where it mounts to the frame if its any good the man was not truthful about
one thing may not be about the other but I am not mad or worried about it I still got my money's worth

So the search for a john deere 210 motor continues, I spent my tractor budget on the parts tractor
and not disappointed but hoping to get my 210 going before winter and having a bad 210 motor in the
parts tractor you bet I know what I need and if I can't find one I might even rebuild this one I know
it will work if its rebuildable if not in the tractor business you need spare parts and looks like
that's all I got, thanks for the good advice, I will post some photos of this tractor drama

#79 oldcuz OFFLINE  

oldcuz
  • 65 Thanks
  • 105 posts

Posted October 08, 2016 - 07:06 PM

Got the 210 parts tractor motor off the frame and disassembled all but the cam, crankshaft and piston, it does have a broke rod 

snapped off right above where it bolts to the crank the rod bolts where lying in the oil pan with the rod cap and the other half of the

rod, It was supposed to have been rebuilt piston looked pretty new when I took the head off I wonder if maybe the rod bolts where not tightened up or where to tight ? anyway the crank is still in the block on the PTO side did not seem to want to side out there must be a clip or something under the oil seal haven't removed the seal to check it, the cam don't look like it would be holding it I'll do a little more investigating tomorrow all I know is something has a hold on it.

The crank will have to be turned if I ever get it out for sure a new rod I will know a little more about the piston when I get it out, I guess the machine shop will know if the crank is useable meaning did it cause the broke rod or can the surface be turned .010

and with most if not all engines the piston has to be put in a certain way they could have put the piston in wrong who knows. 

Still looking for a good used engine so I can get the tractor going but I have to build my tractor budget back up first in the mean

time I will move forward by getting the crank check out and have it turned if its useable I might just build this engine  

and not worry with a used engine then I know what I got, I'll just see how it goes from here.

• Alc said thank you

#80 oldcuz OFFLINE  

oldcuz
  • 65 Thanks
  • 105 posts

Posted October 10, 2016 - 07:54 AM

got the crankshaft out wasn't a big deal piston is out its probably new by looking at it cam is still in it ordered a valve spring compressor

no ring groove but will re hone the cylinder, oiled everything up good so maybe it won't rust till I can start the rebuild, going to have the crank turned when I find a shop to do that. going to do just what I have to for now to get it running that's what my wallet said to do and its my first rebuild so don't want to have a lot of money in it if something goes wrong or not and when this ordeal is over I am sure I will

find all the used engines I could won't that's how it works out most the time.

• KennyP said thank you

#81 Merle013 OFFLINE  

Merle013
  • Member No: 74432
  • 124 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted October 10, 2016 - 10:02 AM

If you need it , you can't find it. If you don't need it, you'll have extras lying around getting in the way.

• oldcuz said thank you

#82 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted October 10, 2016 - 10:47 AM

If you need it , you can't find it. If you don't need it, you'll have extras lying around getting in the way.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

#83 oldcuz OFFLINE  

oldcuz
  • 65 Thanks
  • 105 posts

Posted October 11, 2016 - 08:45 PM

That is exactly right I usually find it long after I needed it or had to buy another one