skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 3,158 posts

Posted September 05, 2016 - 05:44 PM

I just shoot the coon and stretch it out on a crusafix and the coyotes eat them.. the coyotestuff can't get the chickens and stay way clear of the cattle due to one getting bold and got itself smashed into the ground by them... never saw anything like it.
  • Kmac1 said thank you

#17 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,704 Thanks
  • 8,894 posts

Posted September 05, 2016 - 05:51 PM

I have seen the remains of coyotes when they decide to go after calves out in the pasture, and the bulls finally get tired of them. Buddy had to re-seed that area the next spring, the bulls tore it up grinding the coyotes to dust.

• ducky, MH81, LilysDad and 1 other said thanks

#18 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • Member No: 48052
  • 310 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted September 05, 2016 - 08:58 PM

Yotes don't even get close since I got 2 full size donkeys, they are mean!!
  • MH81, Kmac1 and Phluphy have said thanks

#19 camdigger OFFLINE  

camdigger
  • Member No: 70250
  • 678 Thanks
  • 234 posts

Posted September 05, 2016 - 10:25 PM

Yes, donkeys hate anything canine and will adopt herds of other animals like sheep and cows. They are very effective against domestic dogs that pack up and harass livestock. When my donkey kills Fido in my pasture, there is no outcry no fuss. When my neighbour shot a roaming dog in the act of chasing some steers,, it nearly split the neighbourhood in two.
  • daytime dave, ducky, Alc and 2 others have said thanks

#20 Kmac1 OFFLINE  

Kmac1
  • Member No: 62275
  • 521 Thanks
  • 221 posts

Posted September 06, 2016 - 05:16 AM

In my opinion if a dog/coyote chase/kills livestock they get lead poising
  • ducky said thank you

#21 camdigger OFFLINE  

camdigger
  • 678 Thanks
  • 234 posts

Posted September 06, 2016 - 05:33 AM

In my opinion if a dog/coyote chase/kills livestock they get lead poising

I don't disagree at all. However, in my neighbourhood, there are a number of acreages and small holdings owned by people who have lost touch with their roots and are more touchy-freely about their pets. They let them run loose while they work in the big city, and refuse to believe that their beloved Fido can get up to such mischief. In addition, in their eyes, Fido is at least as valuable as the beef steer next door who is destined to be in a meat counter display case within the year.......
  • Kmac1 said thank you

#22 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted September 06, 2016 - 05:48 AM

My wife thinks there are foxes coming into our yard back by the garden . do they cause problems ? This has been a bad year for us since the neighbor decided to put apples out for the deer , at least her husband been shooting the ground hogs . I planted 60 sweet potato plants and I'm betting not one is going to get big enough to produce anything :(  they been eaten to the ground so many times   

• Kmac1 said thank you

#23 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • 310 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted September 08, 2016 - 03:49 PM

I don't disagree at all. However, in my neighbourhood, there are a number of acreages and small holdings owned by people who have lost touch with their roots and are more touchy-freely about their pets. They let them run loose while they work in the big city, and refuse to believe that their beloved Fido can get up to such mischief. In addition, in their eyes, Fido is at least as valuable as the beef steer next door who is destined to be in a meat counter display case within the year.......

I guess I am lucky on that part, the only ones that let their dogs run loose are the folks that live north of me. So far they have lost 2 pit bulls, 1 lab, and 1 mutt to lead poison. I can not convince them to keep their dogs put up like the rest of us do. First sign of chasing they die. If mine did the same thing I would put them down as well. Livestock cost way too much to have some pet come along and kill it.
  • Kmac1 said thank you

#24 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • 310 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted September 08, 2016 - 03:54 PM

My wife thinks there are foxes coming into our yard back by the garden . do they cause problems ? This has been a bad year for us since the neighbor decided to put apples out for the deer , at least her husband been shooting the ground hogs . I planted 60 sweet potato plants and I'm betting not one is going to get big enough to produce anything :(  they been eaten to the ground so many times

If you have chickens they sure do or even house cats, they will snatch those up as well. Usually foxes don't seem to mess with live stock, birds of any kind on the other hand are open season for a fox.
  • Kmac1 said thank you

#25 Reed Breneman OFFLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • Member No: 72922
  • 414 Thanks
  • 180 posts

Posted September 09, 2016 - 07:00 PM

Just practice the 3 s"s shoot,shovel and shut up!!! works good when needed !also a permenant cure for coons in the corn (or anywhere) is dry fly bait sold at farm stores and a can of pepsi or any cola,They are literally dead within a few feet of the bowl,never feel it coming

• KennyP and Kmac1 have said thanks

#26 camdigger OFFLINE  

camdigger
  • 678 Thanks
  • 234 posts

Posted September 09, 2016 - 07:31 PM

Just practice the 3 s"s shoot,shovel and shut up!!! works good when needed !also a permenant cure for coons in the corn (or anywhere) is dry fly bait sold at farm stores and a can of pepsi or any cola,They are literally dead within a few feet of the bowl,never feel it coming

The 3 S thing used to be how such matters were dealt with..... Until one of the dogs dragged itself home with an ugly bullet wound from a bad shot.
  • Kmac1 and Reed Breneman have said thanks

#27 Reed Breneman OFFLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • Member No: 72922
  • 414 Thanks
  • 180 posts

Posted September 10, 2016 - 08:46 PM

The 3 S thing used to be how such matters were dealt with..... Until one of the dogs dragged itself home with an ugly bullet wound from a bad shot.

well ,,,yeah that would be bad ,I am very careful and only shoot if I have to ,The idea is to humanely put it down in my opinion,,,,I will try to scare it off first by shooting in the ground near it and a call to the people who own the critter but if that goes nowhere then I deem it as being abused by its owner and put it out of its misery,If you cant or wont keep your critters contained it is abuse.

#28 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 3,158 posts

Posted September 13, 2016 - 03:12 AM

Issues with dogs chasing livestock, get a donkey.. if the dog did manage to make it home.. the hoof marks on its head should clear up any speculations..

#29 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • Member No: 70148
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted September 14, 2016 - 12:28 AM

They make better alarms than ADT. Combined with our Boxers, actually they play together in the pastures, they are a fierce force to encounter. Day or night, rain or shine.

#30 camdigger OFFLINE  

camdigger
  • 678 Thanks
  • 234 posts

Posted September 14, 2016 - 08:41 AM

Donkeys are loyal to their owners and adopted herd, but will not tolerate canines or even strangers.

When I visited Dad's herd, his guard donkey would always come over to check me out. Once he figured out I was not a threat, he stuck around to get his ears scratched.

A neighbour tried to ignore him by turning his back on the donkey. The donkey put him on his knees with a head butt to the back.
  • Cvans said thank you