3 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Unwin OFFLINE  

Mike Unwin
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12382
  • 380 Thanks
  • 297 posts

Posted September 04, 2016 - 12:03 PM

I am looking over a guys Standard Walsh walk behind tractor looks like some one has replace the carb, would the Standard Twin manual be close enough to offer much help ?

When you drain the engine oil is it draining the transmission too ? I see a plug under the gear box but not a fill plug unless it is under the home made battery box. There is also a large plug under the engine too which I left alone , can you say what carb it should have and I will tell the owner .Thanks MikeIMG_20160904_122146.jpg IMG_20160904_122204.jpg

• Columbia236 and Tbrooks have said thanks

#2 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted September 04, 2016 - 04:03 PM

Mike, the Standard Monarch manual here  http://gardentractor...andard-monarch/  will be closer to what you need. The big plug under the engine is the engine oil pump. It would be a good idea to remove it and make sure it works. Just pull it out and keep it upright so you don't lose any pieces. The pushrod might fall out. It has a guide in the top that you have to hit when you put it back. Grease will hold it while you get the pump in. There is an exploded view in the monarch manual. Not sure exactly what carb it took but it could have been one similar to the monarch in those years. It looks like they modified the intake to accept the carb they have on there. The engine oil and trans are all the same. Fill to the level cocks in the side of the crankcase. The filler is on the front of the engine.

• Alc and Mike Unwin have said thanks

#3 Mike Unwin OFFLINE  

Mike Unwin
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12382
  • 380 Thanks
  • 297 posts

Posted September 05, 2016 - 08:46 AM

Thanks Doug ,I did retreive the Walsh booklet but still had had questions. Some one has put a Carter carb on it ,I cleaned the coil and timer and it ran yesterday briefly . Any idea on the date of it ? Cheers Mike

#4 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted September 05, 2016 - 11:16 AM

The 309 at the start of the serial number indicates it's a 1939.

• Mike Unwin said thank you